“hidden petit vietnamese restaurant”
Review of Vientian Cafe

Vientian Cafe
Ranked #186 of 1,368 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed 8 August 2017

outside seems quite poor, inside everything changes. The taste of different meals is really delicious. I went with my daughter who lives close, it was lunch time, all the police staff were eating in this little restaurant. They surely know what to choose. They were 9, and I felt I was first of all secure in terms of delinquency, and not only that, but if they were locally they asked in terms of money and what you can expect. Delicious and not expensive. combination of sweet and sour, excellent. Shrimps and ocean delicatessen. Highly recommended. Do not hesitate for the outside. Is a jewelry. Schedules are not so late.

Reviewed 6 October 2016

Kao-soy is the reason why i return again and again. Many other Laotian restaurant do not serve this yummy traditional noodle soup. If you always have Vietnamese pho, this one has a twist to it. Looks spicy but not really!

It is interesting how the long menu does not make much sense to you unless you know the names of the local Laotian food - most of which it is not pronounced the way one thinks anyway. The waitress gave the most helpful tip- "you wanna look at yelp?" Yelp has plenty of photos posted by users... it sped up our ordering!

Lao sausage was cheap and so yummy! $3 for a roll. Get one for appetizer to share and two for a main course.

Crispy rice was also very delicious!

Arrived 7ish on a Sat evening and were seated and served very quickly. By 8.10pm, most tables were occupied. Turn over was fast though. They also played football on the TV.

We had the options of SF restaurants but chose to drive here instead-- no lines, fast service, good food, easy on your pocket, and clean (wait staff clean every table with commercial grade bleach so no greasy tables!)

Been here 3 times and every time was no dissapointment. That's what I call my restaurant to-go-to that will not let me down.

* Must try: Fried Banana with pineapple ice cream. One order enough for 4 to share. the 2 ice cream scoops were HUGE.

1  Thank jinshui
Reviewed 23 July 2016

I came here right before they were going to close for the afternoon, and I got a kao poont with fish. It was pretty good, although the flavor was a bit on the lighter side. I caught a piece of fish bone in my soup as well, and I'm pretty sure I swallowed one too. Noodles were on the softer side, not very chewy. Also, the soup seemed lukewarm, although parts of it was hot; not sure whether it was microwaved or what, but I wasn't super impressed by the meal. Good quantity for price though; it came out to be $8.50 or so post-tax. Not superb quality though; I won't be coming back.

Reviewed 25 April 2016

The first time I came here I was expecting Italian food (Vientian is not a form of Venecian!). Great food, good service but sometimes you do have to wait a while (there isn't a very big sitting area). It is very reasonably priced! The papaya salad wasn't my favorite, but everything else has been delicious. We will keep coming back.

Reviewed 10 June 2015 via mobile

I love the food here. Delicious Thai, Lao and Vietnamese style. The decor inside is nice. Always crowded and full.

Been to Vientian Cafe? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK