“Great value for money, quiet, clean, comfortable hotel”

Courtyard Oakland Downtown
Ranked #12 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Dublin, Ireland
“Great value for money, quiet, clean, comfortable hotel”
Reviewed 13 July 2011

Courtyard by Marriott Oakland Downtown

We have stayed two nights there during our trip to US. I have chosen this hotel because of convenient location and great price. I was happy with that choice.
Hotel is located in centre of Oakland with easy access to trains and all major roads. They do have valet parking. There are plenty of restaurants nearby and I felt area was quite safe.
I think we visited this hotel before renovation started, but even thou, I had an impression that hotel was kept in good condition and was well maintained.
Our room was large and spacious, with 1 King bed and sofa. Room was clean. Air-condition was easy to use and quiet. Wired internet included in the price.
Bathroom was with bathtub/shower and basic toiletries were provided.
We didn’t use restaurant during our stay.
Overall, it was pleasant experience and I would definitely think about Courtyard by Marriott Oakland Downtown (can you make the name shorter??? LOL) as a place to stay when visiting San Francisco area next time.

Room Tip: Comfortable hotel, convenient location, good value
  • Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Santos, SP
Reviewed 15 June 2011

If you have an Apple iPad, PC, or iPhone, you won't be able to use wi-fi in your room. In the lobby, it's free, but it works on and off. Free wired internet in the rooms which we can't say if good or bad.
Impeccably clean hotel, cold staff, good location near Berkeley and easy access to San Francisco, in Oakland Chinatown though.
Expensive breakfast but surrounded by options. Free Parking is possible on the streets around after 6PM.

Room Tip: All the rooms are silent due to good isolation.
  • Stayed June 2011
1 Thank TelmaRCosta
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 21 May 2011

Stayed at this hotel for 4 nights during a business trip. I was a little nervous about staying in Oakland (being born and raised in the suburbs of northern CA), but I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is located near BART, plenty of places to eat, and has a nice atmosphere in the general area. I still wouldn't stay out after dark by myself, but it was fine in the early evening. The room itself with one king bed seemed huge, as it also had a couch and desk. Free wired internet, but only free wifi in the lobby. Breakfast was pretty pricey and my $6 reimbursement didn't get me very far, so I only ate at the hotel one day. They have a pool and a tiny gym, but enough to get by. They also have a little store and the hotel itself seemed pretty secure. They were doing some renovations so the hallways often had some interesting things going on, but still a good experience. I had a fridge in my room, but several of my coworkers did not.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a fridge!
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
So Cal
Reviewed 18 May 2011

Stayed here for the Bay to Breakers race. Hotel was recently renovated - did a great job of it. Color scheme is a warm tone of red and gold/yellow. My room was a good size with a comfy king size bed. My colleague said their room with 2 queen beds were as large as a suite. Bathroom was also a good size with plenty of soft towels and a strong shower head. Lighting was good too, not too bright but not dim either. Love that the peep hole is on the low side so I don't have to tip toe to look out.

Housekeeping and breakfast restaurant staff were all super friendly. Surprisingly, the registration staff were not. No smiles to greet guests when we checked in or when passing through the lobby.

Loved the full breakfast with so many choices. Plus it's so convenient to the BART, I may stay here again next time I have to work in the San Francisco office. The only complaint is that I could not get a good night's sleep on Saturday night (before the race) because there were a lot of loud guests talking and laughing at the top of their lungs at 2:30 AM in the morning. Can't really fault the hotel, maybe it's just the type of guests they attract? They were just really noisy and inconsiderate.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 17 April 2011

Loved this hotel. Bang in the center of Oakland, close to many office blocks.
The service is great, don't know if they have room service, but given the list of restaurants around... you won't need it.
The sleep quality here was great... very good & comfortable rooms!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
OaklandCourtyard, Manager at Courtyard Oakland Downtown, responded to this review, 10 May 2011
Dear Guest,
thank you for taking the time out your day to share the great experience you had at our hotel. We truly appreciate your input and are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our location. To answer your question we do not provide room service, but as you mentioned there are so many restaurants within the area to choose from. We are also proud to say that we recently finished our room renovation adding great work space, brand new Serta’s Perfect Sleeper beds and flat screen TV’s. The feedback we are receiving from guest who have stayed in the new rooms is phenomenal.
We definitely take pride in our hotel and are thrilled to hear that your stay was great! We hope that you decide to come back soon.
Yours truly,