“Slow Service & Salty food”
Review of Pican - CLOSED

Pican
Price range: US$ 40 - US$ 50
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Grand Avenue
Transit: 19th Street BART, Oakland
Reviewed 3 May 2017

The restaurant décor is very nice. It took the waitress 15 minutes before she showed up. The corned beef hash was salty, and I like salty food. I also ordered a Creole Bloody Mary which was OK, I've had better. I think they skimped on the Vodka. Others in our party had pancakes, fried chicken, fried green tomatoes, French toast and Beignets which were all good.

Reviewed 28 April 2017

Easy to find location with plenty of parking nearby. Classy decor, not too crowded especially Bar area!
Great food with something to please everybody. Great Corn bread, fish and meat dishes!
Best waitress in Oakland!

2  Thank EuForia_01
Reviewed 27 April 2017

The food was good, I cook soul food so of course I am a "snob" about most things but overall the food is pretty good. The greens are DELICIOUS and the cornbread is yummy too with that amazing butter. Our waitress was okay, took a little prodding to get her to be a little more sociable but okay. Went for a semi-late lunch and it wasn't super busy and everything came out in a timely manner.

2  Thank Monie_Lov3
Reviewed 26 April 2017

Being raised in the south I have more opinions about southern food than most. I highly recommend the Shrimp and Grits on the starter menu. Folks with me had the Short Ribs and raved about them. And others enjoyed the Southern Fried Chicken.
The Fried Green Tomatoes had too much cornmeal and not sure why they add pork barbeque. But a delightful setting, complete with a piano musician and good service.

1  Thank BridgettSF
Reviewed 28 January 2017 via mobile

My friend recommended this place, having eaten here at night and that it was a short walk from the 19th BART station. He read that it was participating in Oakland Restaurant Week and we decided to check it out last Saturday.

Coincidentally, I made reservations on the same day as the Women's March. As we were riding the train to get there, the train system was delayed and I called the restaurant that we were running late. They were very understanding and would hold our table or we could reschedule to another day, if desired.

As we learned when we got there that the Oakland Restaurant Week was held on the weekdays, we went ahead to order from their brunch menu. My friend ordered biscuits and gravy while I ordered the chicken Sammie, which had crispy chicken. My friend said that they had good fried chicken. We enjoyed our meal and I shared the Kennebec (potato) chips, as my order was overflowed with them.

At the time we had our order taken, the place had not filled up yet but our waitress was forgetful and distracted? After telling her that I wanted the Sammie, she went away for a few minutes and then asked to remind what my order was. Another few minutes she did it again. She also forgot my friend's soda and he did not want to bother to remind her. She wasn't using anything to take our order.

During the course of our meal, our water glass was refilled. Our waitress came by to check on us.

After we finished our meal, the place filled up and asked for our check and we got it on the first request.

Despite the dicey service, if in the area, we would come back.