“Great restaurant in downtown Oakland”
Review of Pican - CLOSED

Pican
Price range: US$ 40 - US$ 50
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Grand Avenue
Transit: 19th Street BART, Oakland
Reviewed 26 April 2017

Being raised in the south I have more opinions about southern food than most. I highly recommend the Shrimp and Grits on the starter menu. Folks with me had the Short Ribs and raved about them. And others enjoyed the Southern Fried Chicken.
The Fried Green Tomatoes had too much cornmeal and not sure why they add pork barbeque. But a delightful setting, complete with a piano musician and good service.

1  Thank BridgettSF

Reviewed 28 January 2017 via mobile

My friend recommended this place, having eaten here at night and that it was a short walk from the 19th BART station. He read that it was participating in Oakland Restaurant Week and we decided to check it out last Saturday.

Coincidentally, I made reservations on the same day as the Women's March. As we were riding the train to get there, the train system was delayed and I called the restaurant that we were running late. They were very understanding and would hold our table or we could reschedule to another day, if desired.

As we learned when we got there that the Oakland Restaurant Week was held on the weekdays, we went ahead to order from their brunch menu. My friend ordered biscuits and gravy while I ordered the chicken Sammie, which had crispy chicken. My friend said that they had good fried chicken. We enjoyed our meal and I shared the Kennebec (potato) chips, as my order was overflowed with them.

At the time we had our order taken, the place had not filled up yet but our waitress was forgetful and distracted? After telling her that I wanted the Sammie, she went away for a few minutes and then asked to remind what my order was. Another few minutes she did it again. She also forgot my friend's soda and he did not want to bother to remind her. She wasn't using anything to take our order.

During the course of our meal, our water glass was refilled. Our waitress came by to check on us.

After we finished our meal, the place filled up and asked for our check and we got it on the first request.

Despite the dicey service, if in the area, we would come back.

Reviewed 28 January 2017 via mobile

Pican has become my go to Soul Food spot whenever I visit the Bay Area. It has a great upscale vibe. The fried chicken with the honey truffle is amazing. The mac and cheese is fantastic too!

1  Thank DetHouTravel
Reviewed 17 January 2017 via mobile

Just left from having lunch today, the pecan fried oyster po boy sandwich. Just remarkable the sophistication that is infused with the southern hearty and flavorful food! My favorite Burbon Bar, Bartenders, Restaurant, and overall culinary experience in the Entire Bay Area!

1  Thank 231chadwicks
Reviewed 7 January 2017

My wife and I had a terrific meal at Pican, which is best described as an upscale soul food restaurant near downtown Oakland. Situated in a magnificently restored building that retains its early-1900s charm, this gem produces spectacularly tasting food. I had the "gator gumbo" (which, unfortunately had no gator in it but tasted wonderful nonetheless) and my wife enjoyed the barbequed pork ribs. Although we did not order it we could not keep from staring at the heaping plates of fried chicken delivered (and drizzled with honey) to the neighboring table. We will definitely order that the next time. Friendly, personable and professional table service adds to the splendid dining experience. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Gaither L