“Best Southern Fine Cuisine in Northern California!”
Review of Pican - CLOSED

Pican
Price range: US$ 40 - US$ 50
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Grand Avenue
Transit: 19th Street BART, Oakland
Reviewed 17 January 2017 via mobile

Just left from having lunch today, the pecan fried oyster po boy sandwich. Just remarkable the sophistication that is infused with the southern hearty and flavorful food! My favorite Burbon Bar, Bartenders, Restaurant, and overall culinary experience in the Entire Bay Area!

1  Thank 231chadwicks

Reviewed 7 January 2017

My wife and I had a terrific meal at Pican, which is best described as an upscale soul food restaurant near downtown Oakland. Situated in a magnificently restored building that retains its early-1900s charm, this gem produces spectacularly tasting food. I had the "gator gumbo" (which, unfortunately had no gator in it but tasted wonderful nonetheless) and my wife enjoyed the barbequed pork ribs. Although we did not order it we could not keep from staring at the heaping plates of fried chicken delivered (and drizzled with honey) to the neighboring table. We will definitely order that the next time. Friendly, personable and professional table service adds to the splendid dining experience. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Gaither L
Reviewed 29 December 2016

We were a party of six for cocktails and dinner. This place was busy. I am glad we had a reservation for 6:00pm. I liked the large space and decor. I had a excellent view of the kitchen and the service was attentive. The food was just alright. My crab dip was excellent but the smoked gouda mac & cheese needs improvement. The fried chicken was a good portion and juicy. The coleslaw was missing flavors. I may just go back for the bar and happy hour.

Reviewed 18 December 2016

Frankly, I should have checked the Yelp reviews before visiting. Evidently, many guests had similar experiences.

First, parking is difficult and very expensive. We had an early reservation and the restaurant wasn't busy. I was greeted by a charming host and brought to the table. Things started going downhill when we waited a long, long time to order.

The food was just okay and shockingly expensive for what it was. We ordered the fried chicken, which wasn't terrible, but it was characterless. I can fry chicken that tastes better, and I'm not a superlative cook! The Gouda mac and cheese was good, but again, it lacked any special quality.

We were never offered water refills and our waitress never checked on us. We had a hard time getting her attention to get our check.

Sadly, we will not go back. In fact I feel a bit cheated.

Reviewed 15 October 2016

Our friends and family celebrated a birthday here. The food was excellent, the service was superb.There is a parking lot across the street that has a flat rate of $10.00 for weekends. The private room for the party was comfortable and lovely. The portion size of the entree was great. The smoked gouda mac n' cheese that accompanied the Southern Fried Chicken was delicious.