“OMG! Definitely the best Thai in East Bay”
Review of Daughter Thai

Daughter Thai
Ranked #55 of 1,308 Restaurants in Oakland
Reviewed 22 August 2017 via mobile

In the center of an usually not too exciting " bedroom" town of Montclair, Daughter Thai delivered exciting true Thai menu with modern twist.

It definitely helps that the owner is the owner of Farmhouse Thai in San Francisco which is a trending Thai eatery. The dishes are not all the same. But I certainly enjoyed everything I had. The young chef's talent shins through all dishes that coming out of her kitchen.

We had 24 hours beef noodle. It has a well balanced flavor, meat falling of the bone. It was a huge portion that one can not finish. The Thai street dish I choose was basil eggplant with minced pork, medium spicy. It was done with perfection. Pad Thai is a dish I like to use to judge if a Thai chef is good. Many places have failed my tests. In fact I stopped ordering it at a Thai restaurant. But here, at Daughter Thai, It did not disappoint me. It is true to its flavor. Not overly sweet, noodles are chewy without being hard. Soft without being mushy. Addictive flavor makes me wants to go back for more. We also ordered chicken wing which was on the sweet side. The dessert as their dishes are traditional Thai, but a notch better. Fried banana with sticky rice is done differently- not battered which makes it lighter. It was pleasing both on our eyes as well as on our palate. The Thai vacation rounds up a perfect ending of the meal.

The service was attentive and cheerful. The interior design is rustic, yet bright and airy. We can see ourselves go back often if not weekly. We love everything about this place.

Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

If you are looking for Thai food go here. All the ingredients are super fresh. You will find all the classics and some really creative menu items. Just believe them if they say something is spicey!

Reviewed 8 August 2017

A friend and I went at noon on a Sunday for lunch. We shared the Quinoa salad--excellent; Tom Kha soup was delicious. The dishes were abundant and enough for the two of us. The only unusual item was the Thai iced tea; in other restaurants it usually is served in a big tall glass. Here it was served in a small metal glass with a scoop of shaved ice made of condensed milk, I guess. When you sucked on the straw, what you got was a very concentrated black tea solution and it was taking a long time for the shaved ice to dissolve. I asked the waiter to pour all of it into a large glass and add more milk. He did and then it tasted good. Their prices are reasonable, the service was good. Would like to go back and try some more dishes.

Reviewed 19 July 2017

This is a great asset to the Montclair district of Oakland. Not only is the food consistently good but the flavors are divine, portions generous and pricing fair. It is so nice to have another innovative option for dining. Bright and interesting atmosphere. This is a win win win spot.

Reviewed 10 July 2017

Our dinner last night (the third we have enjoyed) was excellent from the starters onward. Our party of four enjoyed Mieng Kum Kung (crispy-crusted Tiger Prawns), Neua Num Tok Rolls (flank steak grilled and wrapped with mint, cilantro and cucumber), Crab Fried Rice and braised bone-in short rib in a Panang curry sauce. What a feast! The service was with a smile and the bill was quite reasonable. Daughter Thai's motto is "We love what we do," and that's the feeling we lucky diners get, every time.