“Ideal for a short stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Bedfordshire
“Ideal for a short stay”
Reviewed 28 April 2012

We stayed here with our 12 year old son for one night at the end of a skiing holiday as we were going to a baseball game at the nearby Oakland A's stadium. It is a new and fairly large hotel next to the airport. Our room was small but well furnished and clean. The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom was very nice. Can't say anything about the restaurant as we did not use it. Despite its closeness to the airport and how busy it was, the hotel was quiet and well run. Ideal for a night if you have an early flight or if visiting the area.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
De Pere, Wisconsin
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We initially were booked at the Holiday Inn Express and changed hotels after the first night due to weather and not wanting to be crammed into a little room. Holiday Inn exceeded our expectations! We had a great room that was comfy and clean. The hotel was so clean and the staff always went above and beyond. We spent a lot of time (and money) in the bar area and had breakfast each day as well! We had such a great time and would surely stay at this hotel again when we come back!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Austin
Reviewed 14 March 2012

We landed at Oakland Airport at 11:00pm, and wanted a hotel close to the airport so we didn't have to drive far so late at night. The hotel was super convenient to the airport, and very easy to find. Check-in was a breeze, staff was very nice. Hotel was modern and clean, and I loved the fact that the rooms have two queen beds - a big plus. Had a complimentary breakfast in the morning. Food was fine. I had the eggs benedict, which actually had a very nice presentation (I asked for the hollandaise sauce on the side, just in case it wasn't good, but it was quite nice). Coffee was served lukewarm, but our waiter was fine about bringing us a new pot. Would definitely stay here again. Even though the hotel was near the airport, it was very quiet.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I found this place to be mediocre. Staff was actually pretty good, but that was the best part. The restaurant on premises was dreadful. Food was not very good, and the service in the restaurant was really bad. The waitstaff talked happily amongst themselves and ignored me time and time again. Each time I needed something, like a refill, a check, salt and pepper, etc. I had to flag someone down. I ordered pasta which came without any bread. So I asked if I could have a piece of bread. They brought me an order of garlic bread... and charged me for it.

Room was ok. Bed was fine, although the pillows were small and not very comfortable.

Shuttle to OAK was prompt with a polite driver. If I have another early flight from OAK, I'd either stay elsewhere, or eat before checking in here.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank LA-Business-Traveler
tbuckl4, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Oakland Airport, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Oakland. It is important for us to hear in what way we can improve on our service. I have discussed this with my Team and have addressed these issues.
I would like to offer you a complimentary meal the next time you stay with us as we think we can do better.
Please email or call me at your convenience

Regards
Tom Buckley/GM
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Stayed here evening before an AM flight. Like doing this when it is a longer flight so that I am rested. Hotel is close to the airport. Less than 10 minutes in the AM shuttle the hotel runs to the airport. Hotel has several shuttles running and will pick you up from the airport or the BART Coliseum startion. When we were going to the hotel, they picked up some other guests that were staying at the hotel and commuting, so that is also doable from the hotel, but I personally would not use this hotel for that purpose. I'd rather stay closer to where I was going during the day, but this is not a bad option.

Check-in was OK and as agreed. Hotel is clean and you don't hear the airport noise. Many channels on the TV. There isn't much around the hotel. Theoretically, you could walk to a restaurant, but it would be a long walk. Front desk does offer some local menus to order in food.

Breakfast wasn't so wonderful from my perspective. Bagels and bread offered weren't so good and the coffee was weak. I'm not so picky about breakfast, so this says something. Internet connection in room worked well.

Really, after all of the superlative reviews this place has received, I was somehow expecting to be more "wowed" but did not come away with this feeling. Some of the January reviews, and I'm not thinking of the New Year's one, talk about this too. That said, this was fine and OK and I was rested and relaxed for my AM flight,

I will say that now knowing how well the Bart and Air Bart runs, unless I am staying on the otherside of the Bay, I would just take the BART in the AM next time unless the flight is truly an early AM one.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business