“Fine if you have an early OAK flight, but eat elsewhere”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Oakland Airport
Ranked #7 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, California
“Fine if you have an early OAK flight, but eat elsewhere”
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I found this place to be mediocre. Staff was actually pretty good, but that was the best part. The restaurant on premises was dreadful. Food was not very good, and the service in the restaurant was really bad. The waitstaff talked happily amongst themselves and ignored me time and time again. Each time I needed something, like a refill, a check, salt and pepper, etc. I had to flag someone down. I ordered pasta which came without any bread. So I asked if I could have a piece of bread. They brought me an order of garlic bread... and charged me for it.

Room was ok. Bed was fine, although the pillows were small and not very comfortable.

Shuttle to OAK was prompt with a polite driver. If I have another early flight from OAK, I'd either stay elsewhere, or eat before checking in here.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank LA-Business-Traveler
tbuckl4, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Oakland Airport, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Oakland. It is important for us to hear in what way we can improve on our service. I have discussed this with my Team and have addressed these issues.
I would like to offer you a complimentary meal the next time you stay with us as we think we can do better.
Please email or call me at your convenience

Regards
Tom Buckley/GM
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Stayed here evening before an AM flight. Like doing this when it is a longer flight so that I am rested. Hotel is close to the airport. Less than 10 minutes in the AM shuttle the hotel runs to the airport. Hotel has several shuttles running and will pick you up from the airport or the BART Coliseum startion. When we were going to the hotel, they picked up some other guests that were staying at the hotel and commuting, so that is also doable from the hotel, but I personally would not use this hotel for that purpose. I'd rather stay closer to where I was going during the day, but this is not a bad option.

Check-in was OK and as agreed. Hotel is clean and you don't hear the airport noise. Many channels on the TV. There isn't much around the hotel. Theoretically, you could walk to a restaurant, but it would be a long walk. Front desk does offer some local menus to order in food.

Breakfast wasn't so wonderful from my perspective. Bagels and bread offered weren't so good and the coffee was weak. I'm not so picky about breakfast, so this says something. Internet connection in room worked well.

Really, after all of the superlative reviews this place has received, I was somehow expecting to be more "wowed" but did not come away with this feeling. Some of the January reviews, and I'm not thinking of the New Year's one, talk about this too. That said, this was fine and OK and I was rested and relaxed for my AM flight,

I will say that now knowing how well the Bart and Air Bart runs, unless I am staying on the otherside of the Bay, I would just take the BART in the AM next time unless the flight is truly an early AM one.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Pavasarys
Cape Cod
Reviewed 18 January 2012

This is a Holiday Inn, so of course it's not a "five star" hotel. BUT! what wonderful service, etc.

We were planning to fly out of the Oakland airport before dawn the next morning, so returned our car to the airport the evening before. Holiday Inn came to the RENTAL CAR center in five minutes flat and brought us straight to the hotel - van driver was pleasant, courteous and helpful. In the morning, we got an "on demand" shuttle a 4:30 a.m., and it was right there on the spot. Again, helpful and courteous.

In addition: the double-bedded rooms have TWO KING SIZE beds! Who ever heard of such a thing?! Very nice indeed.

Lastly, there's a sports bar/restaurant downstairs. Not high end, but no fewer than six beers on tap including microbrews. Food acceptable if not gourmet.

Only down side: thin walls. Neighbor was watching TV and talking in a normal tone of voice, and we could hear him.

For the price, you can't beat the value!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank LisaJCapeCod
Fresno
Reviewed 17 January 2012

You'd think that it being close to the airport, that this hotel is noisy and not a good location for a hotel. However, it is very quiet, even outside, and its right near the entrance of airport and also close to the freeway. I had a very comfortable stay and the breakfast was better than other hotels.

Room Tip: Choose the King feature room.. Its roomy and has the feel of a suite without the hefty pricetag..
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
marin, ca
Reviewed 10 January 2012

My husband and I purchased a 'Park,Stay and Go' package which included breakfast and parking for 7 days. Check in was flawless and the clerk confirmed my Priority Club number and the package. She said to take advantage of the 'happy hour' and 'free breakfast' at the Diamond Grille and directed me to the location in the hotel. She gave me a initialed yellow slip and told me to give it to our server in the morning before ordering and $20 would be deducted from our breakfast total. I had requested a quiet room on a higher floor because we had a very early flight the next morning. Unfortunately (1), we were assigned a room just adjacent to the elevator and directly next to the vending/ice machines which remained busy with dispensing and conversation throughout the night. Yes, we could have requested a different room but just decided to tough it out for one night. We went downstairs to the Diamond Grille 'happy hour'. Unfortunately(2), wine and beer were not included in the 'happy hour' so we paid regular price. We had a 'so so' dinner and I told my husband I was going to take my almost full glass of wine back to our room. He said he would bring it. He asked the bartender if she could top it off and she said 'Sure'. Unfortunately (3) he didn't realize until he came back up stairs that she had charged him for another FULL glass of wine and he had tipped her generously. The restaurant opened for breakfast at 6am and we were ready because again we had an early flight. We were given menu's and coffee and I gave the server the 'yellow slip'. He said we were only entitled to the 'continental breakfast' and directed us to the bagel/muffin bar. I explained that I was told at check in that $20 would be deducted from our breakfast and that our confirmation slip had noted a full breakfast with our package. Unfortunately (4)he said in a very surly tone "I can't confirm that" and pointed to the continental breakfast bar. I showed him the initials on the back and asked him to confirm it with her but she wasn't there. He wanted the yellow slip but I told him I was going to keep it and take it up with HI. I still have it as well as my confirmation indicating the breakfast package and responded to HI when they asked me to review our stay at the hotel. Unfortunately(5), I haven't heard a word from them. When we returned from our trip, we called the shuttle for pick up. They arrived within 20 minutes with a van filled with occupants. I thought they were being let off but unfortunately (6) no. We squeezed into the van and went for a wild ride to the Oakland Coliseum where a football game was beginning. My husband and I figured that out when we flew past the hotel and headed into unknown territory (back of the Coliseum) and everyone got out of the shuttle. The driver never said a word. Then we arrived back at the hotel about 20 more minutes later. Admittedly, we usually stay at the Hilton next door when we park and fly but I thought we would try the 'New' Holiday Inn and thought the breakfast was a perk while being slightly less expensive. Unfortunately (7), it was not what we expected and won't be back. There are plenty of other park and fly hotels in the area. Hopefully with more informed, competent and professional personnel. I want to exclude the sweet girl who checked us in (unless she was incorrect about the $20 breakfast and in spite of being placed in such a noisy room) and housekeeping because although the room was noisy, it was large, comfortable and clean. Of course, we tipped housekeeping and only God knows why, the shuttle driver. We did NOT tip the rude, cranky non-breakfast server. Unfortunately (8) he decided since he could not retrieve the 'yellow slip' that he would charge us $4.35 for our 2 cups of coffee...even though there was a huge urn of free coffee for guests right outside the restaurant in the lobby. Unfortunately (9) we will not be returning to the Holiday Inn @77 Hegenberger and will probably exclude the Holiday Inn Express as well just because this was such a disappointing and unfortunate experience from IHG. We are considering discarding our Priority Club cards altogether. Unfortunately.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, ask for a higher floor away from elevators and ice/vending machines. If yo...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple