New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Oakland Airport
Ranked #7 of 50 Hotels in Oakland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Seattle, WA
“Facility itself is okay but NOT relaxing for a layover”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2012

I booked this airport hotel because I had an overnight stay in Oakland between flights on New Year's Eve. Instead of a relaxing overnight stay, I walked into a messy New Year's Eve party. I arrived a few minutes after midnight, and loud music was blaring, some drunks tried to get into our airport shuttle before we even had a chance to get out, and people were walking around the lobby spilling drinks. There was vomit in the elevator. This is supposed to be an airport hotel, where people stay overnight between flights, not a party destination, regardless of the date. If I had wanted a New Year's Eve party, I would have stayed downtown. The staff were overwhelmed by all the people drinking and demanding things of them. There appeared to be only two people on duty, and this was not enough. We were forced to take a room on the second floor, close enough to the loud party in the lobby (that continued past 1:30am) to hear it though our window from the street. The door was not soundproof, and we could hear the ice machine all night. Who needs ice at 5am? This was a very frustrating experience. I will not stay at this hotel again.

That said, the hotel itself is very nice for a Holiday Inn. The room was large and clean, with modern furnishings. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was nice. There were lots of channels to watch on TV (which helped to mask the sounds of the party). The staff were friendly, and they gave us free breakfast vouchers because they knew we were not happy with the situation in the hotel. I just don't understand why an airport hotel would allow this type of partying in their hotel when the majority of its clients are by definition travelers who need to sleep. My advice: call ahead to make sure that there is no party scheduled the night of your stay.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank BackintheUSSR2010
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

Despite a few shortcomings such as the lackluster front desk at check in and a bathroom exhaust fan not working... this is the best of the OAK airport area. I've stayed at many in the area and always find this HI very clean, comfortable and YES.. FULL service!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank upgradeThis
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2011

This hotel is terrific! I love it! I checked in after a grueling flight from London to San Francisco. Was very crabby and tired. The hotel is quiet, spotless, pretty, and the staff is wonderful. They quickly set me up in a lovely room and I was not disturbed at all. Very large room and great bathroom. I am very picky about bathrooms and I liked this one. The restaurant staff were also terrific and very kind. Will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Room 431 was great.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank newbury781
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2011

When I go to Oakland, my trip usually consists of a lil business and alot of party! So with that in mind, I like staying here because its close to the real party (next door at the Hilton) but still quiet enough that you can retire peacefully to your room, if need be. Restaurant downstairs is pretty good, and above all else, not crowded!

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Sawdoff
Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2011

We picked this Hotel for our first night of a San Francisco trip for being too close to OAK airport. Recently I have stayed at many Holiday Inns and I must admit that is partialy because I became a Priority Club member, but this Hotel is one of the best HIs we have stayed at.

Our plane landed at OAK at midnight, I called the Hotel and "TWO" minutes after, the complimentary shuttle was picking me up. Now, that is service! I learned that they have this free shuttle for destinations whithin one mile from the Hotel.
Checking in was smooth and that is something you want after a 5 hour flight. Front desk was corteous and helpful... and they even gave us some pizza delivery info in case we were hungry, we also received a complimentary bottle of water per priority club mermbership.

All the staff we meet was very professional and cared about the guests. Our room was decent clean, everything looks new, bed was comfortable as well as the pillow menu. Free internet was fast.

I was afraid that being so close to OAK airport there might be some planes noise, but that did not happen. I have read reviews about the walls being too thin, but I didn't hear a thing from the rooms next door, but I am a very heavy sleeper so I can not comment about that.
There is a Walmart nearby (is a 10-15 minute walk if you like to exercise or you can use the shuttle.) My only complaint would be that after doing some shopping at walmart I called the hotel requesting the shuttle to pick me up but it never showed up.

After check out we used the shuttle to drop-us-off to the BART station at Oakland Colisseum, where we took the train that took us to SF and by the way is a very cheap and convenient way to get there, thay have a lift and plenty of room for large suitcases.

I would absolutely recommend this hotel for late night / early morning flights and for Raiders games.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple