“Guacamole Sampler includes Pomegranate & Walnuts, Chilis & Peanuts, Shisito Peppers & Tomatoes. Enough said.”

Red O Mexican Cuisine by Rick Bayless
Reserve with OpenTable
Red O Mexican Cuisine by Rick Bayless is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 513 Restaurants in Newport Beach
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 16 September 2015

Kind of looks like a Mediterranean or Asian fusion restaurant food from the outside, but once inside it kind of reminds me of Javier's (which I like).

I've only been to Red O for drinks and the guacamole sampler (which I'm a fan of) - classic, pomegranate & walnuts, chili's & peanuts, shisito peppers & tomatoes. Bonus is the live music (which I'm also a fan of).

If you're curious about the name, it was named after the famous Red Onion nightclub restaurant from the 90's.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 16 September 2015 via mobile

This is one of our favorite places for dinner. The service is consistently good. The appetizers are tasty. I typically order the seafood special or chicken but thought I'd try something different. The grilled romaine salad with chicken was bland so I'll stick with the other entrees. One complaint which I voiced to one of the managers a few months ago was that I was invited to a political/special event at the Red O restaurant by a candidate I never have or would support. Then I started receiving fundraiser emails from that candidate's campaign. I was told by the Red O manager I spoke with that the marketing department in the corporate office in Santa Monica handled the special events marketing. I explained that I enjoy coming to the restaurant but do not want to have my email shared with politicians or be invited to that type of event. I would think if you want to keep all your customers coming, you would stick with serving great food. I never got a call back and just today got another email from that same candidate asking for money. Of course I have unsubscribed from those emails several times unsuccessfully. The event at the restaurant was cancelled. I never got a call back from the management at Red O as promised.

Reviewed 15 September 2015

Red O is something special. We were seated on the patio which turned out to be a good choice. The restaurant can get pretty loud, but a fun atmosphere.

Service was done with a smile, and our server gave great recommendations. From the way he described the food, you know he has tasted each dish and paid close attention to the preparations and seasonings.

The food is more typical of true Mexico, and not Baja style of burritos and tacos. Each dish is carefully prepared, seasoned to perfection, fresh and of the highest quality.

They have a full bar with specialty drinks, wines and beers. The dinner menu has a Prix Fixe 3 course menu that you can choose from and they give the option of a wine pairing for each course for an additional cost. The regular menu is large with so many fantastic options it was hard to choose.

On this visit we both chose dishes from the Prix Fixe Menu and Mr. Bee did the wine pairing option. The wines paired perfectly with each of his dishes, so it is a good way to go.
Starting with the guacamole, we had a small cup of guacamole, the perfect size for a starter, the next choice on appetizers were Duck Taquitos with a tomato arbol chili sauce and fresh corn and goat cheese tamales.
For dinner Mr. Bee had the Carnitas in Red Chile Guajillo sauce. The pork was tender, the sauce has a hint of orange and they were served with fresh tortillas. I opted for the Filet Mignon sitting atop a beautiful Chipotle Crema, served with cotija mashed yukon gold potatoes. For dessert we had a beautiful tender cake soaked in buttermilk with cream and berries.
When our server found out it was our anniversary, he brought a plate of their churros served with a rich chocolate and a caramel dipping sauce.

Red O didn't disappoint. This is a great place for a celebration dinner, or fun with friends. Loved it!

Reviewed 11 September 2015

This restaurant had such fun dishes. It was a nice change of pace from typical Mexican cuisine because while we were expecting Mexican food, it really was South American. The street corn was so delicious, my husband found a recipe and has made it at home.

Reviewed 18 August 2015

Really enjoyed this restaurant. Right from the beginning. Valet attendant was right on point with great service and a smile. That's right...someone in Newport that was happy working! This attitude was repeated through out this establishment. I was impressed with the uplifting atmosphere. Then again you get back what you put out. Be nice!
Loved apps, cocktails, main course and dessert.
I found the favors complimenting in everything that was presented. The servers were proud of what was coming out of the kitchen!
Everything about my experience at this eatery was great. I will return.

1  Thank Deborah S