“Tacos, Chili, and a Beautiful Sunset”

Charlie's Chili Restaurant
Ranked #76 of 528 Restaurants in Newport Beach
Price range: US$ 2 - US$ 10
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Description: Ocean front casual dinning with a family friendly atmosphere.
Reviewed 24 July 2017

While staying in Newport Beach, I was walking the bike path around the Newport Beach pier, and was intrigued by the look and feel of Charlie's Chili Restaurant. I walked in and was pleasantly greeted, given my choice of tables, and my beverage brought.

For such a small (but very successful - celebrating 50 years this year) restaurant, the menu was quite extensive. It was a hard decision, but I settled on a taco combo: steak, crispy beef, rice and beans, and chili (loaded with cheese and onions).

First off, the chili was delivered in just a couple of minutes - and it was very, very good. Just the right amount of seasoned beef and pintos, topped (loaded) with cheese and chili. I could have made a meal off of more chili, but just as I finished the bowl, my tacos arrived.

The tacos were piled high with the meat, lettuce, and cheese. They were both good, with the crispy beef winning my vote by a slight margin due to the crispy shell. The refried beans and rise were a little on the bland side, but a few dashes of hot sauce on the table and they complemented the tacos very nicely.

My server was attentive throughout my meal, and I left more than satisfied by a simple, flavorful meal.

It's no secret to Charlie's Chili's success and longevity: good food served quickly with the right attitude and attention. Well done!

Reviewed 8 July 2017 via mobile

I had perhaps the best chili, outside of new Mexico. My wife had the clam chowder and said it was the best she's ever had, even better than new England clam chowder. My boys enjoyed the chili dogs & chili cheese fries. Nestled in a great Newport setting, you can't go wrong with this place, especially for lunch

Reviewed 31 March 2017

Customer service is always found here in this quaint restaurant. They give you an abundance of food and its always yummy!

Reviewed 14 March 2017 via mobile

Although chili was there specialty. We had cod fish and chips and fish ticks. Great food. Large portions and friendly service. Outdoor seating too. Waitress was very friendly. Would recommend this place for a great meal. Just off Rt 1.

Reviewed 10 March 2017

This popular pier-side place has been around the area since 1967 when it started on Balboa Island. They relocated to cheaper rent near the pier. Seeing it was dog-friendly, we stopped for coffee & tea at an outdoor table. Glancing at a menu, it seemed imperative we should try the “almost world’s best chili.” Who is to argue with them? It is excellent. Both of our servers were overly personable, kept my coffee cup filled. Sitting outside one can watch the world go by.