“Good bbq ”

Southern Smoke BBQ & Brewhouse
Ranked #3 of 66 Restaurants in Newhall
Reviewed 11 June 2018 via mobile

As soon as you sit down you get some hush puppies with a sweet sauce. I added some bbq sauce to it and it tasted much better. We Had the baby rack ribs and the Mac n cheese with tater tots. The ribs tasted good but a little tough. The sauces are great. The mac n cheese was ok and the tots were also nothing special. The peach cobbler was enough to share and was very good.

Service was good and the place is clean decorated with a brick wall.

Reviewed 10 June 2018

I ate here twice in one week. First time was on a week day with a friend for a "goodbye" lunch as she prepared to move out of state. We had a nice seat right in front of the big window. Then later in the week, I brought my husband by for a weekend lunch and we were lucky to get a seat by the door. Both times I had the Conundrum Sandwich (tender brisket with a split hot link on the top, and I got the Wasabi coleslaw on the side). I could only eat half of the sandwich and brought the other half home. For sides I have had the macaroni and cheese, fried okra and tater tots -- all very good. The real fun comes in trying the half dozen or so different types of BBQ sauces. My friend enjoyed it, my husband enjoyed it and I enjoyed it. Service was great too! We will return!

Reviewed 30 April 2018 via mobile

Traveling from LA, we were ready for a late lunch and we found Southern Smoke BBQ. Am glad we did.

I ordered sweet potato fries to start. Had chicken & waffles, pulled pork sandwich and sliders. Diet Coke, sweet iced tea completed our order.

Everything was good. Would come back.,

Reviewed 9 March 2018 via mobile

Let me start by saying, "I don't care for barbeque." Yes - my words; legit.

I was at a meeting in Los Angeles with a co-worker who lives in Santa Clarita. Well, since I live just past her she made a restaurant suggestion and this was it. I had to let her know that I don't care for barbeque and when I say that I mean the typical barbeque sauce stuff. Just not my fav is all.

Anyhoo, I let her know I would go if I had other options so she shared the menu; looked good. I said yes AND I was so hungry. The menu is simple yet filled with savory options that aren't slathered in the typical barbeque sauce. They bring hush puppies to the table which were so good and came with a honey type dipping sauce. They also offer a complimentary meat tasting tray with 5 different meats which are all amazing! At that point I couldn't decide what to do. :( I just kept eating.

I chose the pulled pork sandwich and my friend had a meal with a two meat choice which is pictured. Lemme tell you....it was a feast! I had a side of fried pickles and added potato salad (OMG GOOD!). My friends plate included two sides. We were there for over two hours and each tried some wine as well (2 glasses each). In my opinion it was all delicious for a place I would never have chosen on my own. Lots of leftovers. We then ordered and shared the Texas Cannoli for dessert and that was it - food coma!

I was able to bring home an enough food to make up a second meal (original meal meant for one person) and I paid less than 40 bucks including the wine. I call that a good price for a splurge meal.

Enjoy!

Reviewed 1 January 2018 via mobile

The food my party and myself ordered wasn't worth the price we paid. The portions were small, the scallops weren't cooked right, the ribs was dry, some of the fries were burned, but the fried pickles were good. I'm not sure if this place was trying to imitate a four star restaurant or a knock off dive endorsed by diners, drive-in, and dives.