Review Highlights
Great place to take your child or grandchild.

Full of history and a great gift shop and grounds. Cover the history of the Conejo Valley. Lovely... read more

Reviewed 22 July 2018
dHwoman
Newbury Park, California
Not good as used to be.

I live in the area and used to visit the museum every few months. In the last six months the museum... read more

Reviewed 11 July 2018
Alex M
Thousand Oaks, United States

All reviews conejo valley thousand oaks local history one room school house blacksmith shop sycamore tree indian village victorian era nature trail amazing collection newbury house our tour guide pioneer home replica jungleland century memorabilia
Reviewed 22 April 2018

This is one of the very best in the Passport 2 History series! There is quite a lot to see and do! Outside there is a cool trail that makes kids feel like they're trailblazing pioneers. There are various stations, buildings and artifacts outside where you can press a button and hear a bit about what you're looking at. Some of them are in need of repair, but others work well.

Inside the museum, there is lots to see! My three favorite rooms are: The Victrola Room, where they have TONS of phonographs that are SUPER impressive! Amazing collection! The Jungleland Room! Did you know that the whole reason Thousand Oaks exists is because there used to be an amusement park/zoo called Jungleland??? This room has some cool pictures and memorabilia from the park. And finally... The Victoria Hair Room! It's probably the best collection of Victorian Hair Art in the world! Every now and then you can find something in an antique shop or museum... but they have a whole room full of impressive, large and detailed hair art! It's incredible!

I travel with my toddler and he gets kind of antsy sometimes at museums, but the woman who gave us the tour (that I wish I could remember her name) was absolutely fantastic! She was always reading his cues and catering to exactly what we needed. She even had a whole activity she did with my son in the next room while I looked at the victorian hair room, because she knew I was really interested in that. Most docents don't pick up on such things and are afraid to stray too far from the script... so we're always really thankful when we get someone like this who really makes it a great experience for all.

Additionally there is a playground just across the street! This is really a great little museum that I'd strongly recommend. There are 84 museums in Passport 2 History, and I think thus far, this is my favorite!

Date of experience: February 2018
Reviewed 5 March 2018

Remarkable replica of earliest major structures in the area. The Union Hotel was a major stopping place for stagecoach passengers riding between Los Angeles and Ventura. This was a difficult journey in the late 19th century. Imagine going up or down the Conejo Grade in one of these. The hotel is two stories with a number of rooms upstairs, which contain many historical relics of the area. The downstairs has impressive (large) parlor and dining room. You can spend an hour here. Tours are docent led. But that's not all. There is a one room school house with a bell tower (and a bell you can ring), a small blacksmith's shop, and a carriage house with two good examples of stagecoaches. I though that was going to be the end of the tour but there're more. Follow the trail down the hill from there to find a replica of the original resident (Newbury), an adobe, and a Chumash hut. We spent about an hour and a half there, but could have stayed longer.

Date of experience: March 2018
Reviewed 8 February 2018 via mobile

The docents were very knowledgeable and pleasant. It was very well organized and we learned a lot about the local Chumash Indians. Overall, it was a lovely experience.

Date of experience: February 2018
Reviewed 22 January 2018

This surprisingly complete museum complex includes a main building filled with 19th and early 20th century memorabilia, several outbuildings with stagecoaches, Indian village, adobe house, and school. The docents were all wonderfully informed and engaging.

Date of experience: January 2018
Reviewed 11 January 2018 via mobile

The Stagecoach Inn Museum is a local gem. Although it is a replica (the original burned down), the authenticity comes through. Our tour guide was very knowledgeable and friendly. An enjoyable way to spend a coup,e of hours.

Date of experience: January 2018