“Cost Over Service”

Ranked #14 of 30 Hotels in Napa
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Cost Over Service”
Reviewed 5 May 2012

I am staying at this "resort" for a conference. Leading up to my stay I was very excited about staying here because the website gives the impression this is a luxurious resort. The Meritage is actually right next to an industrial park and a highway. The location definitely does not bring to mind respite. The photos on the website disguise this fact.

Notwithstanding the location, I still think the grounds look nice. However, this is undermined by the fact the staff put cost over service. I have multiple examples that just made me feel The Meritage is either financially strapped or plain ole cheap. There is a "resort fee". At check-in I clarified what this $20.00 per day fee covered and I was told it covered "wine, water, parking, wi-fi, the pool and fitness center." I am staying four nights. So, $80.00 is actually providing me with one bottle of their wine label wine (??), eight bottles of Deer Park water, parking (which you need I guess since you are in the middle of nowhere), wi-fi access (which technically does not cost extra to the resort for guests to use), and the pool. The fitness center, which is clearly advertised on their website, is not open and you actually have to go to a neighboring resort to use their fitness center.

The resort fee is unfortunately common, but what really rubbed me was the fact that I was overcharged for things that simply should not cost. Guests are given a bottle of water when they check in. So, when I was waiting in the lobby for a meeting and started choking (non-life threatening), I asked the front desk for some water because the nearby bar was crowded. I was told it would cost $2.00. Infuriating. On another occasion I went to the restaurant for a cup of coffee. $3.50 plus tax! That is insane.

A couple of other things that made the stay unpleasant is the lack of accommodation given the fact they are undergoing a lot of construction. The concierge staff also was not aware of where our large group was meeting. The walls are also thin. So, I could hear the people upstairs walk around and shower.

I would certainly not stay here if it was my choice.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank MountainGurl
Meritage01, General Manager at The Meritage Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
Thank you for choosing The Meritage Resort and Spa for your destination in the Napa Valley. I am sorry to hear that our service standards were not met during your stay with us. We take pride in providing our guests with an extraordinary experience during their visit to Napa; again, we are sorry that you did not get this experience.

I am happy to inform you that our expansion is complete. There is no longer any construction and all of our new outlets are open. Please feel free to reach out to me directly so we can further discuss this situation. Thank you for your time.

Michael M. Palmer, CHA
(707) 251-1901
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (507)
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 1 May 2012

This property is six years old so has a new feel to it, there is a large expansion of the resort in progress which will include a fitness center. The staff were helpful and friendly, the grounds were very nice with a vineyard and the grapecrusher statue in the rear. The small climb up to this locale is certainly worthwhile, especially near sunset, views from this vantage point of the valley below are lovely. There is muzak piped outdoors near the pool area which is clearly audible inside certain rooms, at least room 231 on the corner. This proved to be an annoyance that ended at 10pm each night. This resort is certainly impressive from the exterior and lobby area, however we thought our room, while clean and adequate, was a little short of our expectations. I would stay at The Meritage again but with a plan to be on the other side away from the muzak.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
, Manager at The Meritage Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
Thank you for reviewing us! We apologize if we did not live up to your expectations. We are looking into reducing the Muzak volume so it doesn't disturb our guests that are near it. We truly hope you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to seeing you!
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 27 April 2012

This property is squeaky clean with a taste of Italian charm. A very nicely decorated resort with well appointed comfortable rooms and a lovely pool and spa. I enjoyed my spa cave time with a facial and a massage. Note therapist Tim was fantastic at therapeutic massage! The wine tasting was a fun romp. Our room was on the third floor facing the pool and that was a great quiet scenic location. It didn't feel like we were in an industrial area of Napa which is where this property is located. It is easy to find and conveniently located to get around to other areas. Be prepared to splash your cash and people watch.

Room Tip: Go for the top floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for this phenomenal review! We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your massage, and Tim will definitely be recognized for his efforts. We are committed to providing excellent service, and it truly pays off to hear comments and feedback like yours! We hope you'll join us again soon!
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Beautiful resort nestles in Napa Ca. The staff even super late at nice were nice and accommodating. A wonderful experience. The rooms are decorated wonderfully and the furnishings are great especially the bed.

• Stayed April 2012
Thank you for such an excellent review! Our team will certainly be recognized for their efforts in accommodating you. We hope to see you again soon!
Seattle
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I was there for a business conference. I arrived at 12:30pm and at check-in I was told they didn't have a room ready for me because they were sold out the night before and it would be late afternoon before it would be ready and could they have my cell # and they'll call me when it's ready. I explained that I needed a place to change clothes because I would be in meeting until 6pm and then going straight to dinner in their cave restaruant until probably 9pm. The lady at the desk was very helpful and found a room with 2 queen bed (instead of my requested king), I said that is good and "thank you very much". Gold star for the front desk. Hotel is nice, rooms are nice. I was in #208 and had some noise from room above (there were 3 floors) and they were building a fire pit below me. That was not a problem because I was awake before they started. I don't know if that will be noising at night if guest stay up around the fireplace. It's about 5 minutes to town (and Target). Overall a good value.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your review! We appreciate your understanding during this phase of construction. I hope you were able to enjoy the rest of your meeting, and the dinner in the cave. Please join us again soon for a drink or a little bowling at Crush Ultra Lounge. We hope to see you then!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
5.9 km away
19.0 km away
Bardessono
Bardessono
#2 of 6 in Yountville

Been to The Meritage Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK