“Fantastic--Love the Atmosphere & the Food!”
Review of The Inn On First

The Inn On First
Ranked #4 of 22 Napa B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We were part of a large (17 people) group on a busy weekend. Our Innkeeper Jaime made us feel very welcome and he was attentive to all our needs. He assisted us with several outings and truly went "above and beyond." The Inn is well located and is within walking distance of great restaurants and shops. The Chef, Jim was just amazing. His breakfasts were delicious and the Inn's signature granola was just yummy. The Inn is beautiful and the amenities were wonderful. We especially enjoyed the homemade truffles that were in each room. Jaime, Jim and their staff really exceeded our expectations. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Garden Suites are a bit larger. Our group had several of the rooms booked and all were very nice.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
tiofinnkeeper, Owner at The Inn On First, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2012

Dear Judy W, thank you for bringing 17 wonderful people to our inn. Down to the last person, all of you made both me and Jim feel like we were part of your entourage, that was especially nice for us. We realize you had many choices when it came to lodging here in Napa, and we're grateful you chose us and then took the time to post a review. We look forward to hosting all 17 of you again in the future! Jamie

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for The Inn On First

Reviewed 2 April 2012

First off I'd like to say I usually don't write reviews but for this one I'm making an exception.

I took my girlfriend here for a big birthday. She knew we were going to Napa, but not where we were staying. This was our first B&B experience. I've never been treated so well in my life, even at much pricier hotels. The inn is a very clean and well kept house from the early 1900's. The room had a comfy bed, nice gas fireplace, complimentary sparkling wine and truffles, a shower with plenty of room, and a huge jacuzzi tub with nice scalding hot water to cook yourself in if you wanted. I like it hot!

The rest of the house is beautiful, and is set up for comfort and social interaction. The living room has a huge fireplace to relax in front of with a glass of complimentary port or drinks from the small fridge. The dining room has one large communal table, always has home made cookies, an assortment of loose leaf tea, and a aluminum water bottle for you to use on your local adventures.

The true highlight of the place is the owners, Jim and Jamie. Jim, the chef, makes wonderful breakfasts. He makes breakfast new and refreshing without making it strange. Everything is homemade with pride and you can taste it. Jim not only came out and asked how we liked the food, but he asked how we liked the portions! If I had more, I would have had to cancel the nice lunch we made reservations for. The portions were perfect. I've never been asked about portions before, not even from the fancy places to eat around there. And I believe he was ready to make more on the spot if I said anything about hunger.

Jamie is more of the "front of house" man. He creates and promotes a wonderful atmosphere in the dining room. Every one is treated like family. The one table allows you to be informed by, and help inform the other guests to better plan your day. Before you leave, Jamie goes out of his way to make sure you're getting what you want, know where you want to go and what you need to know. We had a fairly open schedule and he helped us put together the nicest Napa vacation, even with the rain. He figured out exactly what we wanted, made phone calls, and scheduled things for us. We never asked for help because Jamie either was already helping or had us ready to go. I'm sure Jamie wont mention this, but he is highly respected in the area as well. Wineries would find out we were from the Inn On First and ask where else Jim and Jamie were sending us so they could judge how they were doing in comparison to other wineries.

The place is nice. The owners are pros who really care. And thanks to them my brownie points are piled high. I can't ask for more. I would recommend it to anyone, and did recommended it to my dad, who is looking for a nice place to take my mom for their anniversary.

1  Thank Ben J
tiofinnkeeper, Owner at The Inn On First, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2012

Dear Ben J, thanks to you as well for taking the time to write a review and to share such thoughtful details with our tripadvisor readers! One of the aspects of being an innkeeper we truly love (especially meeting such awesome people every day) is we learn something new every day as well. Thanks for sharing the fact the winery people are checking up on each other, we had no idea! We're happy the special birthday was a success, you should take a lot of credit for that as well. She had a great time, that was obvious, and now we look forward to hosting you again one day. Thanks again, Jamie

Reviewed 30 March 2012

Whenever my husband and I travel, we look for beautiful, modern B&Bs with gracious innkeepers that know the area well and are willing to share their knowledge with guests. More often than not, reality falls far, far short of our desires and we find ourselves somewhat disappointed. I was therefore spectacularly grateful that The Inn on First managed to be everything we could ever want in a B&B. Moreover, Jim and Jamie, the innkeepers, are, quite literally, the perfect hosts.

Our room, located on the bottom floor of the "Garden Suite", was simply stunning. The whirlpool tub and fireplace were fantastic and (unlike some places we've stayed!) fully-functioning. This proved very useful for the still-crisp late winter evenings and damp afternoons. The champagne and truffles awaiting our arrival were wonderful treats, especially given the seven hour drive from Northern California. The lunch-pack provided (free-of-charge) for use during our visit, paired with the in-room refrigerator, proved to be practical (and economical). The bed was very, very comfortable and the bathroom spacious and spotlessly clean. The best part: for all this luxury, the room had a contemporary feel and contained very little of the "stuff" that tends to clog up many "traditional" B&Bs.

The main mansion is similarly modern, but is far from stark or cold. It is decorated beautifully with model cars, objet d'art, picture books, and hand-made furniture. The living room is especially cozy; enough so that my husband and I enjoyed a quiet hour in front of the fire one evening, sipping a lovely port that is left out for guests' pleasures.

The dining area is a wonderful space and is filled with all manner of goodies, night and day. That being said, breakfast is by far the best time to find oneself around the table at the Inn! My husband and I cook quite a bit, both for ourselves and for company and would easily class ourselves as "foodies". Jim's breakfasts amazed us! We were surprised and delighted by the extremely creative and well-executed breakfasts. We were even more shocked to discover that we will never have the same breakfast twice; a record with what we've already been served is kept and referenced on the occasion of our return so we won't have the same dish again! A unique little hook, but also quite sad given the yumminess of the breakfast "pot pie".

Meanwhile, I can't say enough about Jamie's graciousness in helping us navigate Napa. He somehow, on very short notice, managed to get us reservations to Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc. He also recommended Farm Restaurant and made our reservation there. Both places were amazing; Ad Hoc we were prepared for, but Farm was a find! Jamie even came up with a great recommendation for somewhere comfortable and family-friendly for us to dine with visiting friends who had their infant son with them. Besides our dinner plans, Jamie also helped us make our day-plans in the valley. Although we didn't follow the exact path he laid out for us, he gave us the confidence to jump off on our own to small, family-owned vineyards, which was exactly where we needed to be!

I honestly can't say enough good things about this B&B. Nor can I imagine why anyone would go to Napa and stay anywhere else. I almost wish I could infinitely clone The Inn on First and place it in whatever town I'm staying -- although honestly that would ruin the unique nature of the Inn and the absolutely one-of-a-kind hosts! So instead, I guess we'll just have to head back to Napa :)

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
tiofinnkeeper, Owner at The Inn On First, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2012

Wow! The level of detail you've recorded here is breathtaking, and I am quite sure I cannot do justice in response other than to say both Jim and I thank you for taking the time to create this review. We're happy you enjoyed your stay with us so much that you were both willing and able to share your experience with other reviewers and readers! We sincerely look forward to hosting you again one day. Jamie

Reviewed 29 March 2012

We hadn't been to Napa in a few years, other than driving up to visit friends occasionaly...so we were looking forward to our stay at the Inn On First. We were especially looking forward to breakfast, which had been highly touted by a friend. I was a little puzzled by the lateness of the earliest check in time...being that I like to check-in (say about 1:00ish), drop the bags, and go out to do a little exploring. Sorry, but checking in at 3:30 PM or later seemed a bit absurd. The room was very nice, large jacuzzi as advertised, fireplace, tasteful furnishings, etc. The location was fairly convenient, residential neigborhood, not really in walking distance of shops and restaurants, and it certainly isn't a quaint rustic type B&B. The dining room has one large table that seats about 16 people, and 14 were their when we appeared for breakfast. And although the coffee was excellent I am not at my best until I had a cup or two when it comes to chatting with someone I don't know who is 6" to my right. My wife had a mediocre looking fruit salad, I had one of the inns tiny sweet rolls which was OK, and then came breakfast. It was a spicy homemade tomato soup with a poached egg floating on top, and a grilled cheese sandwich on the side...but of course it was made on homemade bread! It was my idea of a breakfast that is fast and easy to prepare for 16 people. It was OK. The split of 'complimentary' wine in the room was priced at $25.00? Needless to say, we were disappointed...but maybe it was just the rainy weather that dampened our experience. Oh, and my lovely wife, who used the jacuzzi, didn't stay in the bath very long because she couldn't get the water hot enough. Believe it or not, I like to write 'glowing' reviews. I'm afraid the Inn On First hit our average button.

4  Thank MoltoBeneItaly

Dear former guest:

With no disrespect intended it is difficult for us to take this review seriously as there are too many erroneous pieces of information in it. You came to us via a gift certificate and may not have researched our inn, our offerings, etc., basically you didn’t choose us, and someone who has stayed with us more than once did. We will overlook the many incorrect points made in your review but please realize our need to be clear (on selected points you made) for future potential guests:
1. This is an inn is for those who want unique and different selections for breakfast; not every breakfast is a homerun for every guest, but the vast majority of reviewers clearly enjoy what we provide. We’re not offended you didn’t like the tomato soup, and perhaps an omelet or frittata might have been more your style, but unfortunately we don’t serve those here.
2. Everything we make for breakfast is made from scratch, and we keep our pastries “tiny” so that those who want a nibble can do so without committing to more calories they don’t want, and those who want more can indulge in more than one.
3. We love our communal table. Here at the inn you become part of our First Family. There is no requirement to talk, engage, or do anything with other guests. Generally, though, our guests enjoy conversation, learn about each other, and share a bit of their own lives and their time in Napa as well. This is what makes this bed and breakfast experience so unique and special and really fun.
4. Our inn is four blocks (a 5-minute walk) from the beginning of historic downtown restaurants and shops and no more than 11 minutes from the heart of downtown, according to Google Maps walking directions. Our guests generally find it very doable except for the elderly and those may have an injury and use a car for transportation wherever they go.
5. We provide a complimentary split of sparkling wine in every room upon arrival; an additional bottle is $8.00 if requested. A full bottle of red wine is available in the room as well, for $25.00, and we provide this as a convenience to our guests who might like to enjoy a bottle of red without leaving the inn to purchase it.

Thanks for taking the time to write a review as it allows us to spread the message about what staying at our inn is truly about! Jamie

Reviewed 24 March 2012

After leaving this property, I couldn't resist but wish there were more B&Bs of this type around. This is truly a unique social experience that is not to be missed whether you are in Napa or anywhere else in the world for that matter.
Here are the highlights of this hotel:
1) The owners (Jamie and Jim): a very welcoming, hospitable couple who left their high tech jobs in the valley to pursue their dream of opening a bed and breakfast. They are quite a good fit, it appeared Jamie was the 'face of the B&B' while Jim was more focused on the back-end operations (taking care of maintenance issues, cooking a DELICIOUS breakfast, etc..).
2) The property: a beautiful house with all the perks you get in a hotel and more (jacuzzi in room, bathroom supplies, etc..)
3) The 'unique' factor: The breakfast where you can meet all the different guests from different parts of the US and globe! The social interaction you would never have in a 5 or 7 star hotel (being based in Dubai, i can confirm there are 7 star hotels!) . Champagne and truffles added to the room (complimentary), etc..
4) The location: Great location near downtown Napa , close to everything you would need to visit in the area

1  Thank tsalaita
tiofinnkeeper, Owner at The Inn On First, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2012

Thanks for sharing the breakfast is great, and know that when we sit down with our guests to help plan their day, or to learn how the previous day or evening turned out we are one part of the total social experience, but only a small part. Our guests are what make the experience what it is and we meet the nicest people doing what we do as innkeepers! Thanks for your participation in making the communal breakfast such a great experience for others. Thanks,too, for crafting such a thoughtful review, and know we look forward to seeing you both again when you are in the states next! Jamie