“Deserves it's #1 rating in Trip Advisor”

Hog Island Oyster Company
Ranked #4 of 317 Restaurants in Napa
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Open Daily 11:30am - 8:00pm Happy Hours Tues+Wed: 5:00pm - 7:00pm. We will be closing early, 5 PM, on Dec. 24. Last seating at 3:30 PM. Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Days.
Reviewed 14 February 2018

Looked up the top restaurants in Napa and the valley and saw Hog Island rated #1 in Napa. Now it's not the French Laundry which is considered one of the best in the US, but I'd never want to eat a prix fixe French dinner even though I love Keller's simpler restaurants like Bouchon.

Hog Island is in the Oxbow Public Market, an eclectic offering of all kinds of small eateries and shops. Hog Island is marvelous for the seafood, especially the oysters and clams served casually around a bar with tables and an outside patio.

Simply put the absolute BEST clam chowder served with Manila clam shells in the bowl and spiced brilliantly with aromatic vegetables, bacon, potatoes and cream. Outstanding with a glass of Grgich Hills "Blue Beret" Chardonnay.

They have locations in Marshall, San Francisco and Humboldt.

Reviewed 14 February 2018 via mobile

Came here on recommendations from everyone. We had 16 oysters on the half shell, salad and clam chowder. Oh my it was good. Pete was our waiter, he was great. The hostess was great. Sat outside by the heater. Met a young couple out on a date and made it fun. Place is in the Oxbow Market back in the corner. Happy hour on oysters and things 5-7 pm. It is worth the effort to go at Happy Hour.

Reviewed 8 February 2018

Recently I read that Hog Island Oyster Company had "the best clam chowder" in California. Well, I live in Napa and had never dined there before. Of course, I've been in Oxbow Market (where it's located) many, many times before and knew of its presence. I had a bad experience with raw oysters a few years ago, so I just really never looked at the menu....until reading about this in "The Daily Meal" web site.

So, indeed the clam chowder was REALLY EXCELLENT! It has real Manila baby clams in the shells right on top of the chowder (see photo). I literally was able to scoop out the clams into the chowder and fill up a separate bowl with the shells.

Along with the chowder, I had to order a glass of Boz Scaggs red blend (yes, the rock band leader). There seems to be a recent trend of rockers developing wines in the Napa Valley area; Zac Brown is another one. The Scaggs vintage was very good and will probably buy some bottles once I find a source.

As far as seating, you can sit at the bar if there is one or two of you and would recommend you do that so you can "chat" with the servers and cooks. I learned some interesting things doing this (more on that in a moment). You also have the choice to sit in the common table areas if you so prefer.

Now, fair warning, you must have a pretty solid tolerance for heavy chowder. I learned from one of the cooks was that the secret to the deliciousness of the clam chowder other than the manila clams was "lots of bacon fat". Uh oh! Several hours later I had a case of upset stomach; not because it was bad; it was because it was TOO good. Just keep that in mind if you are of that persuasion and have some alka seltzer close around.

Finally, the "Daily Meal" also said one could have a lunch for around $30.00 and that is true.

Reviewed 4 February 2018 via mobile

And thank me later. It was the best thing that I ate the whole week I was in Napa. The fact that the locals were eating the same thing was validation for me.

Reviewed 1 February 2018

Tuesday and Wednesday happy hour - 5-7pm. They choose one oyster at half price and an appy for around $8. $6 Sauvignon Blanc and $5 draft. Oysters served with some really nice bread.