“Great katsu curry”

Guru Katsu
Ranked #111 of 360 Restaurants in Mountain View
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 4 November 2017

This is a small but nice restaurant tucked behind a larger mall. There are about 12 tables, but service is generally quick. There is only one service person, but he is very efficient. The food is excellent - my favorite is the chicken katsu curry.

Reviewed 25 August 2016 via mobile

Drive past here a few time, I decided to try it today. It's tucked in a small strip mall, kinda hard to find, also the name doesn't help the uninitiated, so most of the business is word of mouth.

Really cute place, done up in a modern style with black & white graphic mural, red accented furniture & big pig head mounted on the main wall. It had one of the best & hippest sound tracks playing while I was having my lunch.

I had the Hire Katsu rice bowl upon recommendation of the waiter. Very good Katsu, crispy on the outside, tender & juicy on the inside. It was served with a fried egg on top, which I don't much care for. Underneath it had a bed of sauté cabbage, tangy yuzu miso sauce & rice. The sauce was good, but it soak the rice too much. The sauté cabbage was not very imaginative, which I felt provided room for improvement.

Service was friendly & prompt, although just the one waiter during lunch hour. The restaurant was not full during lunch; most of the patrons were Asians. The menu was very wordy & I really had to read it carefully to understand. I never thought I would say this, but this is one restaurant that could use photo or illustration to demonstrate its offering. I think some tweak to the marketing of this establishment will help take it to the next level.

Reviewed 11 June 2016

The loin Katsu was delicious. The cabbage was crisp and cold. The miso soup was up to standard. We must have gone on a good day because we cannot understand the substandard reviews. This was our second time eating there and the first experience was a good one. The service was very nice. We'd return for sure!

Reviewed 19 February 2016 via mobile

My very first attempt to have 'katsu'...and I was certainly not disappointed! Tender, succulent meat in a crunchy crust and served on a plate of salad....very nice. Will certainly repeat my 'katsu-experience'! Staff was very nice as well. Great to end with cotton candy

Reviewed 21 November 2014 via mobile

What the hell is that?Everything is overpriced and quality is poor as the interior decoration (but this is a common denominator for restaurants like this).
The main speciality, katsu, is far from good.
You can get something better than this almost everywhere. Beside this the staff is friendly.