“Delicious Ramen! Cash Only”

Maru Ichi Japanese Noodle House
Ranked #57 of 363 Restaurants in Mountain View
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 1 February 2018

Had the Maru Ramen Special (Tonko Style). Loved it.
The place is a bit of a hole in the wall with tight tables. When we went it was packed with lunch guests. Everyone had a giant white bowl in front of them and appeared to be enjoying their lunch. Each table had dried garlic slices and some delicious kimchi in a bowl plus a variety of sauces. Our bowls came to the table about 5 minutes after ordering. The ramen broth was just as silky and rich as I had hoped. My entrée came with 2 preparation of pork, egg, fish roe, and a mountain of in-restaurant made ramen noodles. Highly recommend the place.

Date of visit: January 2018

Reviewed 14 January 2018

The food were Korean/Japanese, very good. But this place is cash only. There is a city parking garage nearby, which you can park for free.

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed 23 August 2017 via mobile

HOME-MADE noodles for your Ramen! Not only that, but they are the ONLY RAMEN PLACE I’ve found selling Kuro Ramen (brow garlic based, very authentic from Japan), this is my favorite type of Ramen and I highly recommend it. This is so far the best Ramen I’ve tried outside Japan. I don’t know if the people who have rated the Ramen places in the Bay Area have been in Japan or not (it may be Americans rating instead of Japanese), but Kuro and home-made noodles make a huge difference (all the other places I’ve visited buy their noodles somewhere else instead of making it themselves).

I’ve brought Japan raised friends here and they have loved it, so I’d put it as the #1 place in the entire Bay Area (I was also already at the “considered” best Ramen place in San Francisco in Japan town and the flavor is not even close to Maruichi). One more thing, they give you your food very fast, so even if you find a long waiting line in the weekend you’ll be seated quickly.

The only down side is they don’t accept credit cards, so come ready (although there’s an ATM inside the restaurant) because it’s totally worth it + to balance the no credit cards issue the Ramen is very cheap (from $9 to $11 Max). Enjoy :)!

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 3 January 2017

We have been here many of times for their Ramen noodles. They have combo that comes with noodles and also sides such as gyoza, california rolls or bowls of rice. They also give free kimchi as a side dish and extra roasted garlic.

Lines can get long especially during peak hours on weekends.

Note: they only take cash so make sure to bring some. Parking is in a garage behind the restaurant if you don't find one on Castro street.

Date of visit: November 2016
Reviewed 11 July 2016 via mobile

We had lunch here on a Sunday. The restaurant was fully seated but not super busy. Rustic modern Japanese interior; some cute wait staff.

We had pork cutlet curry rice (great presentation also tasted good but curry was a bit lumpy), tonkatsu ramen (good al dente noodle, pork belly a bit too sweet for me, perhaps the soup needs something tart to offset it), fried chicken (excellent, light, crunchy & juicy), hot & cold sake.

My companions' food came before mine for a good 10 minutes. The server did not explain why the delay. I felt I was back in China again with the weird service queue. I had to rush to finish my food so we can catch our movie.

Date of visit: July 2016