“Great find on road trip through the West Coast”

Vivify Japanese Restaurant at The Lodge
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 2 September 2012

It was getting very late on our road trip, and we were trying to find a place to eat in the area. Found this gem, and enjoyed it thoroughly. Delicious food, and fast service. It was busy from people coming from the mountain it seems, but it wasn't overwhelmingly loud or anything. Would recommend getting their special sushi rolls, especially the hamachi pear, as each was amazing. Left the place feeling full and happy.

Date of visit: December 2011
1  Thank Shanein

Reviewed 14 July 2012

Family run restaurant. Very fresh sushi. Pleasant atmosphere.

Date of visit: April 2012
Reviewed 28 May 2012

We were having an amazing day at Mt Shasta till we dropped in here.

The waitress was very rude and arrogant. Total mood killer.

Reviewed 21 May 2012

We ate here on a Sunday night which is not the best for fresh sushi. Nevertheless, the food was quite good and I would normally give this restaurant four stars, but our waiter was the worst I can remember. He was snitty and had an arrogant attitude.

When we first arrived, Vivify had one person at one other table on the whole patio, about 6-8 people at the bar and no other table inside had patrons. Nevertheless we waited about ten minutes to get menus and water. It was okay because we weren't in a hurry but then another table came with locals and this waiter was effusive with these people, his friends or regular customers. Again, no real problem but we were feeling a little marginalized.

We ordered and our dinner came piecemeal which is what the menu says, "as it's ready" or something to that affect and it was very good. But then the real problem came. The restaurant had gotten busy and it took us another ten minutes to get the waiter's attention to ask about dessert. He told us there was no dessert that night that they were all out so we asked for our check. Another ten minutes passed and a table that had been seated about 20 minutes after us with a different waiter (the Japanese son of the owner) were served dessert. My wife said "maybe that was the last two pieces they had and now they're sold out." After another five minutes having still not gotten our check, we walked up to the register at the bar and I looked and someone else was being served yet another dessert. After a few more minutes I finally got our waiter's attention again and said "I thought you had no desserts." He said "I'll check in the back" and stomped off. He came back with the dessert menu and says "We have everything. What do you want."

My wife was waiting near the front so going back to a table for dessert after all this waiting was not what we were going to do but I asked him "What happened? I thought you didn't have any desserts tonight." His reply was "I'm busy and I don't have time to talk to you."

What??!! How about "I'm sorry. I was mistaken."? Or "Could I offer you a free dessert?" Or something. But during this time while he was adding our bill up on a very slow and inefficient computer, he would not respond. Finally he gave me the bill, grabbed my cash and slammed my change down on the counter. "You don't have to tip me."

I was stunned. I haven't been treated like this by a waiter, literally in decades. I cannot remember the last time I didn't leave a tip because it has probably been decades but I picked up all the change and spoke to the son of the owner. I asked what happened and what the problem was but all he said was "I'm sorry" which is okay but no real answer and no real action to correct a grievous error.

If you are in Shasta and want a restaurant that has good food with good sustainable practices, this might be the place for you. But do not get the hip and cool waiter with the spiky hair and the pierced eyebrow. He was a complete nightmare for us and spoiled an otherwise good meal.

Date of visit: May 2012
1  Thank smarsman
Reviewed 18 May 2012 via mobile

This is a friendly and clean restaurant with pleasant atmosphere. They try to serve sustainable foods from responsible companies. We liked the servers and the service was slow but fine for us. Don't go if you're in a hurry. The food is good quality but taste and cooking of it is only ok-good. My meal of scallops and mashed potatoes was cold but the salad was very good and tasty. We bought a bottle of wine and were allowed to take with us the portion we didn't finish.