“BEST lil Sushi Bar....EVER!!!”

Sushi Hide Japanese
Ranked #73 of 107 Restaurants in Morro Bay
Cuisines: Sushi
Reviewed 27 January 2017 via mobile

I live in beautiful Morro Bay, and just discovered this quaint little "hole-in-the-wall" sushi bar. I honestly didn't know it was possible to get this quality Japanese food in my sleepy little town! The chef/owner, Hide, is an AMAZINGLY talented chef, he turns cuisine into an art form! With as exceptional as his food is, it amazes me that his prices are so affordable. And recently, he's outdone himself! He just recently opened the indoor dining area AND is now offering delivery service! So. Freakin'. Awesome. If you're in Morro Bay, and want to indulge in some ridiculously delicious sushi - then Candy Fish is where you need to go! I guarantee that you won't regret it!

Reviewed 26 December 2016 via mobile

On Christmas day we took a drive to Morro Bay. Stopped in at Candy Fish. It was the worst food I have had in years. Miso soup was bland and tasteless. The chicken teriyaki was microwaved very dry tasteless. The teriyaki sauce was horrible. Shrimp and vegetable tempura was battered nice but it was mostly fried potatoes, onions and some shrimp. No veggies at all. The tempura dipping sauce was cold. And very weird looking. I couldn't detect what it was. My daughter's Veggie roll was terrible. She ordered cucumber salad it was very sour and had raw fish on it. She is vegan and didn't eat it. Everything was in a to go container and we said we were eating there. We threw away most of the food. Felt totally ripped off. I don't know why people raved about this place. I still have a nasty taste in my mouth ! Horrible! I am not sure where the pictures were from that people posted. We must have been at another place lol. We were in fear of getting food poisoning! We love Japanese food and eat it often. Maybe it was because it was Christmas day. He didn't make rolls in front of us. He did it in the back. I wish i had taken pictures to share. Needless to say we would never go back!!! I wouldn't give this food to a homeless person.

1  Thank sweetgin95
Reviewed 8 September 2016

We ate here on 9/5/2016. The gentleman who took our order couldn't have been nicer. He made our sashimi order and miso soup with chicken, shrimp and crab perfectly. The hot free tea was appreciated . The view of the rock from his outside tables was awesome. A local came up to order and it was fun talking to him about how much he loves this place. We understand why he feels this way. We will definitely return whenever we are in town. We would highly recommend for the quality of the fish as well as the service.

Reviewed 17 August 2016

I have been to this place a few times. You might like the food, but you have to be wary of annoying the owner. So just take your order and go with the flow. It's the only Japanese restaurant in town, so if you want that kind of cuisine, here it is. The few times I have eaten here the meal was pretty good. The last time, though, my daughter and I just walked away when the owner gave us some attitude. I will do Korean or Mexican the next time I want ethnic food.

2  Thank OnParleFrancais
Reviewed 8 August 2016 via mobile

This charming eatery is a tiny gem hidden in plain sight right off of Main Street. I got a quick bite to eat on the go. My California Handroll (temaki) was beautifully and quickly assembled with lettuce, ginger, and wasabi garnish. Of course there was a small container of soy based sauce. If I weren't in a hurry I would have taken advantage of the adorable and comfortable tiny patio area, the better to enjoy beautiful Morro Bay weather!
I will be back to try some more Japanese delicacies at this casual and pleasant location.

1  Thank Margaret L