My husband and I stayed at the Portola Hotel for a work sponsored activity this past weekend and had an average time at the hotel. Some positives and some negatives led it be just ok.
The good: location is a plus, close to the pier and Alvarado Street with shopping, restaurants, bars, etc. The decor is new, nautical and lovely. The beds were AMAZING. Heavenly in fact. It has a Keurig as previously mentioned and when I put a tea packet in, it did not taste like coffee had ever been ran through it, a huge plus!! There is a safe in the room which was nice.
The not so good: upon check-in, which we were one of the few to check in first, they let us know my husband and I got two beds, not a King like we requested. I was not happy and the person who checked us in could care less and said they were fully booked, so that's what we got. We were also told we would have a Harbor view, but when we got to our room, it overlooked the courtyard area. Oh well. The worse part was the noise. It wasn't from the street, it was from the paper thin walls. I could hear every word the people up stairs were saying and the kids in the room next to us, even their parents, "shhhh'ing" them. It was not great for someone who sleeps very light. The shutters did not shut all the way which I was not fond of since I sleep in no clothing and we called Valet to pick up our car, got down there 15 min later to find out no one told them, so we waited another 10 for the one person working to bring up our car. We got to our dinner reservation late. Not happy at all about that either. We did get an apology regarding that situation.
All in all, we did not pay for the room, but if I had to, lets just say I have been other places in Monterey, and I would go there first if I had a choice.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Portola Hotel & Spa reflects the captivating spirit of a rich, historical setting surrounded by everything that the Monterey Peninsula has to offer. Your stay at the Portola Hotel begins with warm homemade chocolate chip cookies, provided at check-in. As the only Silver LEED Certified hotel on the central coast of California, the hotel boasts 379 guestrooms and suites, an award winning full service day spa, three on-site restaurants including a craft brewery and more! Portola Hotel & Spa is one of California's premier family-friendly destinations offering easy access to Monterey's favorite attractions. The hotel is also pet friendly. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Booking.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Portola Hotel And Spa At Monterey Bay
- Portola Hotel Monterey Bay