“Great Business Venue”

Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay
Ranked #16 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Visited for a business event on premises. First time to the facility and was favorably impressed. Location is downtown - not waterfront, but well situated, within walking distance of several restaurants, lounges, etc and the water.

My room was well appointed, and one of the most comfortable mattresses I've had in a hotel. Had an issue with the remote controlled fan in the room, and it was fixed immediately. My room backed up to an outdoor public area and I had a lot more noise and commotion at night than I expected. Not necessarily unpleasant, just wasn't expected.

The parking garage is right next to the hotel, and there's a small sign. If you miss it, simply turn into the hotel drive, and after checking in, make the loop around a couple of blocks. (watch the one way streets). The traffic is controlled by lights, so that's not an issue. Didn't find it so much of an inconvenience as simply getting to know the layout. Coastal towns are always a bit funky.

The bathroom could have been cleaner, but overall I could not complain.

Will definitely look at this for a weekend get away, and hope the business event is here next year!

Room Tip: I stayed in a 200 block room -- gets some walkway noise and no elevator service. I suspect the towe...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 13 April 2012

Saw the portola on travelzoo and it was a good deal and worked in perfectly with our travel plans so booked it. A little tricky to find. Be prepared to park in a parkade cause you are driving up the street and there is no apparent hotel signage and boom! there is a sign leading you into a parkade on the right hand side of street for parking at this hotel. Was an awesome location right beside marina and boardwalk. The desk clerk recommended a few restaurants on the boardwalk for supper where you can indulge because everything is within walking distance. Yeah being prairie dwellers being this close to the ocean with pelicans and sea lions was pretty awesome. Wish we could have spent a few more days exploring. The room was relaxing with excellent reading material on the area and what it has to offer. Bed and linens were scrumptious. Complimentary breakfast was very good, not fast but good. We will be back.

Room Tip: If you like golf make sure to take time to check out pebble beach.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rolyholmes
Reviewed 12 April 2012

This review is long over due but I figured that I should share my feedback. My husband and I stayed here in October 2010 (I chose May 2011 since it was the farthest back date I could pick) for a quick overnight get away. The overall service was average -- not great, but not bad. The overall hotel is nicely maintained and in a great location! The room was clean and the view from our room was good. We had our dog with us, and happy to say that this hotel is dog-friendly! Our only complaint is that since the hotel does sit next to a main walkway, it was a bit noisy. There must have been a large banquet or party going on the night we were there as music was blaring and you could definitely hear people partying. It wasn't horrible, but definitely noticeable. If you're concerned with having a quiet stay, you will want to ask the hotel if there are any events being hosted when you're there. Other than that, I'd say that this was a nice place to stay. I think that the price point was maybe a bit higher than it should've been; however, the location made it worth it.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2012

My spouse and I stayed there for an education conference a few years back. Had a great experience then and really enjoyed our stay for a second time. Very open lobby area with easy access to the gym and pool facilities. Restaurants and bars are warm and enjoyable. The staff throughout the hotel were friendly and cooperative at every level. Spa choices were plentiful and reasonably priced. Dog friendly, but we did not bring our dog. Location is superb! Two minute walk to old Fisheman's Wharf, very good clam chowder and history. Easy twenty minute walk along a very beautiful walking/biking trail to Cannery Row and the best aquarium on the West Coast. Easy walk to more downtown shopping and a nice large beach area. Room was very nice and we were able to really relax for a few days.

Room Tip: Spend a little more for a larger room with a balcony.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2012

From the time we arrived until leaving, each and every hotel staff were inconspicuous, extremely friendly, and always helpful. We attended to support a high school event and left feeling we had a relaxing getaway from home. The local area had many nice shops and small or longer walking paths. The rooms were comfortable, especially the bedding and I have a problem back.
Worth every penny that we spent. Parking was easy.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family