Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel and Spa on Del Monte Golf Course
Ranked #20 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 April 2012

We have stayed here several time only the past 3 years and initially our experience was above average. We liked the private feeling of the hotel and it is quite beautiful. However, during our last experience a couple months ago, the bed was EXTREMELY uncomfortable and in fact, it was probably "broken" and we had to change rooms. Initially, they told us they would switch out the bed, but they ended up moving us.

Also, on one of our previous stays, it was obvious that someone either had smoked in the non-smoking room or someone was smoking next door. They were also partying pretty hard and we ended up having to move rooms as well.

If you are planning to stay here, also let them know if you plan a spa treatment because the spa / gym building is on the far end of the property. Also if you dont like to be around kids playing and screaming in the pool, you should also request golf course facing rooms.

Service is extremely courteous and considerate of guests needs. However, the property maintenance and the preparation according to guest expectations may need a little work.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank augusttravel

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Nicely renovated. Good for bringing your dog. Close to a very nice golf course. Walking distance to Monterey fisherman's warf.

Room Tip: Ask for golf course view
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 April 2012

After a stressful few days in the Bay Area, I needed a couple of days of quiet and sun. The Hyatt was perfect. It was actually important to me to NOT be on the coast because it was April and I wanted to lay in the sun and near the beach was too chilly.

I arrived early (12:30) and went to check in. Jamie at the front desk could not have been nicer to accommodate me. The lobby is a touch retro but in a very cool way. It almost has this Frank Lloyd Wright feel to it.

I had a room in the 2 building, facing the parking lot - but it was quiet and provided super quick access to my car, which was great because I was in/out a lot to go eat and shop, etc.

The room was very nice. Super clean (and not a hint of industrial air freshener), and the bathroom was very modern and cool. Fridge was a nice amenity for me. Bed was comfortable. The only thing I didn't like was that it was on the ground floor and while I felt totally safe, if I wanted sunlight in the room meant I had to have the curtains open, which also meant that people walking to their cars would have a view right into my room. My room was VERY quiet although the heavy-footed person above me made me know when they were in the room - not sure it would have been as noticable had they not been a stomper.

Spent both days at the pool. Immaculate, seriously - so clean. And for two days I could attest to the number of landscapers and maintenance people around. The flowers everywhere were so beautiful and everything looked well maintained.

It's mid-April, so pool not crowded, but it is spacious with comfortable new-ish lounge chairs and private cabanas in the shade you could curtain off. Hot tub too. No lifeguard, but didn't matter to me. What I would have liked was a waitress or some other way to get food/drinks at pool side - that would have made my day.

Had room service for breakfast - pricey (isn't it always) but well done.

I would go back there in a heartbeat. It's not the Ritz, but it's very comfortable, clean and the grounds are beautiful.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 April 2012

We arrived at the hotel late evening and stayed for one night as a stop over on the drive to San Fransisco. The hotel did as expected, and lived up to the standards set by a Hyatt Regency. The accommodation was clean and of decent size, and it was a comfortables night stay. The hotel facilities seemed decent enough but we didn't get much of a chance to use them, as for the restaurant, the menu was a little too structured and didn't provide enough flexibility especially when travelling with a toddler. However we decided to drive to the town and found a beautiful Indian restaurant, which will rate as some of the best Indian food I have ever tasted.
The breakfast was decent and staff were supportive and provided good care and service. This hotel met our requirements especially when using it for a stop off, the peace and quiet of the hotel was a benefit, and the hotel golf courses were excellent, if only I was on a trip with my golfing buddies ;-). Good hotel and would recommend, especially if using for a short stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Recently visited the Hyatt Regency for a Conference and had spent some reviewing other reviews on Tripadvisor before I arrived. I was pleasantly surprised and overwelmed by the service. Other reviews made mention of incredibly negative experiences they had with management. I had zero problems with my room and with the staff. They went out of their way to make my stay 'perfect'.

This isn't a new resort and this isn't a Ritz Carlton. The Hyatt has done an amazing job at upgrading their resort and keeping it contemporary.

Excellent gym. Beautiful golf course.

I would definitely return and highly recommend the Hyatt Regencey Monterery to anyone and everyone visiting the area.

Thank you Hyatt for an amazing stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
HRVancouverGM, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel and Spa on Del Monte Golf Course, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2012

Dear IwaRuggerBuggerIowa,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I am glad you had an enjoyable visit and look forward to sharing your kind words with our team.

We hope to see you again and deliver another "perfect" stay.

All the best,