“Nice hotel, 'cept..why do I have to pay for internet?”

InterContinental The Clement Monterey

2) Plush comfortable beds
3) Nice toilet
4) Good-sized bath for relaxing
5) Great service
6) Valet. Very very useful when you have luggage to deal with.

Minus points:
1) Why on earth do I have to pay for internet at InterContinental when small inns along Big Sur, Lucia and SLO can provide it free?! It's insane.
2) Pillows are reaaaaally soft. No support for the neck.

Room Tip: Pay more to get sea view. I wish I did ... would have been worth it.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 April 2012

We had the pleasure of staying at the Clement Monterey toward the end of 8 day summer road trip with our 10 year old and 2 year old. After staying at a variety of accommodations from cabins to motels we were ready for some luxury and The Clement Monterey did not disappoint!

From the Valet ( who was very understanding of our car packed with a weeks full of supplies for camping) to the front desk and the bellmen the staff was professional and helpful.

The hotel itself is beautiful.The cape cod style and the view of the ocean are serine and harmonious with the amazing location. Our room was located on the opposite side of the street from the lobby, accessible by bridge over the street or street access. Our room was the most basic offered and was perfect for us. The bed was amazingly comfortable. The balcony and view of the lively street and ocean were wonderful, but there were no noise issues at night. The bathroom was large and modern.

One of the best features of this hotel is its proximity to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. It is less than a block away on a wonderful street full of restaurants and shops. If you are traveling with children I would highly recommend this property. Our 2 year old needed a mid day nap and being so close to the Aquarium allowed us to have him sleep in his bed and return to the aquarium in time to enjoy the rest of the day!
I was concerned when I first viewed the pictures of the property that my 2 year old would not be welcome, but that could not be further from the truth. When I spoke to the desk staff they told me of all that they offer from a kids club with a climbing wall to strollers, ect. My boys loved walking back and forth over the bridge and the beautiful glass jelly sculpture that hangs over one hallway creating a light show. (Hard to explain, but check out my photos)

Room Tip: Even the street side rooms are wonderful.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Heather R
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I stayed here with my boyfriend on a little weekend getaway at the end of March. I can't think of one negative thing to say about this hotel. From the valet and door service, to check in at the front desk (Maria) everyone was so warm and welcoming. Our room was beautiful with a balcony and fireplace with a partial view of the gorgeous bay. Service at the C Bar was also wonderful and the drinks were perfect. The concierge service was also above and beyond (thanks Wayne!). You can't go wrong with the location of the hotel which is right on Cannery Row among great restaurants, bars and shops, not to mention the famous Monterey Bay Aquarium (which you can purchase tickets for with the concierge). All in all, everyone at the hotel made our stay in Monterey quite a memorable one and we will most definitely be staying here again, hopefully soon!

Room Tip: If you are looking for a casual but delicious breakfast spot try First Awakenings! And definitely tr...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 April 2012

This is a great hotel with a prime location in Monterey. My husband and I stayed here once in August of 2010, and decided to return when we knew we were headed back to the area this March. We stayed for four nights (March 25-29) and this time, chose a partial-ocean view king room with balcony and fireplace. For being "partial" we could certainly see plenty of ocean! We faced Cannery Row overlooking the Bubba Gump Shrimp restaurant and Taste of Monterey tasting room, and all of the bay beyond. Though a bit more than we wanted to spend (it is an Intercontinental after all) we were very pleased with our return. The rooms are light, bright, and spotless, service is terrific and there's really no bad room. I'd highly recommend this if you have a little extra $$ to splurge on your hotel.

Room Tip: Ocean-view rooms are pricey, but compromise with a "partial" ocean view and see if you can...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Location: No doubt, this hotel is about location. Granted, Monterey isn’t a big city so pretty much anywhere will do just fine. However, it does provide a walking convenience to Aquarium and nearby shops from the hotel. Nearby wineries are great so if you are into wine, make sure spend some time tasting since it rivals the Napa wines. Pinot noir is most common wines near Monterey area due to climate.

Room: I stayed at single king bed standard room on this occasion and it was typical Intercontinental hotel. The view may play the biggest factor on this hotel so be sure to ask if this is important to you. I usually do get an upgrade to a better room or better view, but rooms were sold out and nothing was available so I got a brick wall view instead. Bed is comfortable and bathroom is comfortably sized with separate tub and shower stall. Room decoration is cozy with a desk, coffee machine (Starbucks), and 32” LCD TV that provides a good selection of channels. Ample room at the closet to hang your clothes if you are staying for a few days.

Lobby: Main lobby is inviting and warm feeling during check-in process and many staffs to help you so wait time should be short or none. Concierge desk is just before the main entrance and they can help you with pretty much anything. We asked nearby restaurant and tried the recommended and it turned out to be a decent choice.

Parking: You need to valet park at this hotel since parking lot does not exist. Hotel charges $22 per day for this service which is on a low side for the service. However, wait time is 10-20 minutes so be sure to call for your vehicle prior to leaving your room. Depending on the number of waits, it could take a while. Give a few dollar tip to the boys getting your car.

Food: I did not try the room service or hotel restaurant since my stay was for one night only but with so many restaurants and café nearby, I can’t imagine eating at the hotel. Most of Intercontinental hotels have a great restaurant so I would imagine the same for this property. You can take your own wine to the restaurant with a minimal corkage fee so be sure to visit nearby wineries and stock up on great tasting wines for dinner. The tasting room nearby sells wine but price is inflated but corkage fee is waived at most restaurants if you provide a receipt for it.

Overall impression: The day I checked in, the hotel was full of people with two weddings going on so it was very crowed. This isn’t a big hotel to begin with and guests were flocking the ballroom and a bar which was opposite of the ballroom. The guestroom corridor is all connected to the ballroom entrance so you can imagine how crowed it was on that day. I don’t mind a busy hotel as long as it is all separated, but unfortunately this wasn’t the case. Hotel got a little over jealous with wedding events on that day. I could hear the music well into the late at night as well. If you have never stayed at Intercontinental hotel before, you’ll think this hotel is wonderful. For a seasoned veterans travelers, your mileage will vary. If you like a club floor and clubroom lounge, this hotel does not have one so you are out of luck as well.

Room Tip: Join Priority Club rewards!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends