“Exceeded my expectations in every way :)” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Historic Hotel Leger

The Historic Hotel Leger
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mokelumne Hill
Modesto, California
“Exceeded my expectations in every way :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2011

First of all, please keep this in mind: you are staying at a "historical sight with detail for the Old West kept in mind". Having the ability to stay in a hotel with this much historical significance was an experience my son and daughter will not soon forget. I purposely chose the midweek to attend the hotel in hopes we would have the opportunity to stay in the entire hotel by ourselves--- which we did! We stayed in the larger upstairs suite in room #2 that has a fireplace in it. We went specifically to visit the old hotel from hearing of its potential paranormal history within it.
If your looking for a standard hotel with room service and such, than this is NOT the hotel for you. The staff was very helpful and kind. The upstairs rooms have no TVs or phones--but wireless Internet service is provided.
We had three significant paranormal experiences during our stay---once again, if your afraid or not open minded to these types of activities---the hotel not for you. Activity not guaranteed--especially for those who do not believe or disrespect these types of things.
My 18 year old daughter took pictures within the room and had strange results. A few moments later, something knocked loudly on the outside window while she stood next to it and I could see the wooden interior shutters bounce from my viewpoint.
About a half hour after the last employees left us alone in the hotel for the night and locked up, my son and I heard two loud distinct footsteps with creaky floors in the upstairs hallway. Finally, at 445am, someone slammed a door and moved about within the downstairs bar area---which had a security system armed during the time (impossible for a human to move about within this area without setting the alarm off).
The bar activity is what scared us all the most because we knew that a human could not perform such a feat and that we were not alone in the hotel after all.
The next morning we all enjoyed sharing our experiences---although we might not have gotten much sleep, the friendly experiences we had during our stay are priceless in our minds.
We are definitely headed back to this hotel in hopes to enjoy more friendly visits from our new friends. :)
Here's a tip: To increase your chances of paranormal activity, go with the right mindset, do not disrespect or challenge the spiritual residence, do not go expecting activity and most of all, enjoy yourself within the outstanding 1800's surroundings (old stuff all around you so be respectful so others who come behind can enjoy it as well).

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank whiterushen_2011
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2010

This hotel is filty, smelly and scary. I don't recommend anyone to stay here. We checked the rooms and they have old furniture, but the whole building needs remodeling. Also, the price for the rooms were too expensive compared to whate they offer. Definetely.. this is not a place to stay or to bring your family. We found a better and almost brand new hotel with everything on it, including breakfast, for $46.00 less!!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank aixamamud
SIERRA MADRE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2010

I was there on a Wednesday in the off season, so except for another couple who had stumbled in it last minute, I would have been the only guest that night. I chose Room 3 which is one of the bigger rooms off the upper balcony but has a shared bath across the hall. I already knew that I wouldn't have to share and that the two front rooms, 1 & 2, which were larger with private bathrooms, were also over the saloon, faced the main street, and tended to be noisy, according to other reviews. Room 3 had 12' ceilings, a fireplace, giant windows with balcony access, a comfy high bed and broken settee. I wish the wood floor wasn't painted. Room 2 has unfinished floors and it's awesome.

The saloon by chance was open the night I was there for some event but no live music, thank goodness, or it would have been loud. You must have a drink in the saloon; very 1870's except with a decent wine list! The hotel was started in 1851 as a tent, and over the next decade or two, and after several fires, reconstructions, a few coats of paint...it hasn't changed much. You have to appreciate this when staying here. I love the history, and I understand the modern amenities would be minimal and the sound-proofing non-existent. It's rustic but charming. The saloon, like the town (during its heyday was a wild place) also seems to still be true in a sense. In the middle of the night there was a shouting match in the saloon that got out of hand, spilled into the streets and woke me and half the town, but somehow...it still seemed to fit with the place, a little out of time (and "Roger" and his woman are now "banned for life" from the saloon so maybe it won't happen again).

Since it was the off-season and mid week, I was REALLY disappointed to find the restaurant closed (my bad for not knowing it's open only Thurs-Sun) and that there was pretty much nothing to eat for at least 10 miles to Jackson, from where I'd just come and didn't feel like returning. I made do with a gratis granola bar for dinner. I would highly recommend Frank's Cafe around the corner south on Hwy 49 for breakfast (open until 3 pm) for the kind of 1960's diner experience where the farmers congregate and you get truckloads of food for less than $10. And the coffee is really decent.

I booked Hotel Leger on B&B . com for about $60 for the large Room 3. The rooms were all open so I just checked all of them out; each is uniquely charming but only a select few have access to the balcony. I was really bummed when I arrived to find "No Access" signs on the giant windows in my room, although when I saw the state of the balcony on my side I couldn't blame them for shutting it off for much-needed repair. I was peeved, however, that this information was not on the website prior to my arrangements; if the other rooms were occupied I would not have been happy at ALL. However, I went downstairs to ask Shawn, the owner's son tending bar, if I couldn't just use the balcony via one of the empty big rooms in front that evening, which he even suggested before I could. I went through the windows in Room 2 and hung out watching the sunset for an hour and it was fabulous! I would have loved to have coffee out there and watch the sunrise as well but there was no hot coffee and I was starving from a lack of food the night before. Bottom line: next time I would choose Room 1 or 2 with earplugs or stay during the early week in the off-season and eat before you arrive.

At breakfast I realized my Visa card was missing and I had to call the owner when I returned to the hotel, who roused Shawn, who roused the other bartender of the previous night, who opened up and ransacked the bar area for my card which I mistakenly believed/hoped the bartender forgot to give back to me. Alas, the card turned up later at a winery I had visited in Sutter Creek, so it was my fault. Not only do I owe Shawn and his dad an apology but a deep thanks for the lengths they went to help me. At least it was a decent time of the morning! So I would say, service at Hotel Leger was exceptional and I had no complaints. Know what to expect at this lovely historic treasure before you book. It's not the Holiday Inn. It's way better!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank native210
Redwood City, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2010

OUTRAGEOUS!! DON'T count on this DUMP. NEVER NEVER COME ANYWHERE NEAR THIS NIGHTMARE.

WE WERE THROWN OUT AT MIDNIGHT!!!!! Kicked to the curb with no concern for our welfare. (This may very well end up in court) and left to drive home at 1:00 am. THEY HAD ACTUALLY GONE INTO OUR ROOMS, THROWN MOST OF OUR BELONGINGS AND VALUABLES INTO BAGS AND BROUGHT THEM DOWN TO THROW US OUT.!!!!!!!!!

Look, we were just two mid-fifty year old couples going to a pirate party - one straight couple, one gay. Both couples being good 'ol American upper-middle-class people together for over 25 years. I decide to have a little fun and go to the party in a rocky-horror style quasi-drag type of pirate outfit - you know, to change it up a bit. We had a blast at the party and dinner later. HOWEVER, when we returned to the Ledger at midnight we were met in the saloon (lobby) by two sheepish bartenders and six drunk "dudes" who semi-surround us. They informed us rather blandly "we don't have a room for you. We've packed your things" For a few minutes we really couldn't believe what was happening. We tried to make sense of it by talking to them. Then it became very clear - "oh my God this is really happening" - in 2010 - in California. It ended with us humiliated and on the curb trying to determine if our wallets, phones, watches... were indeed among the shoddily packed bags. All the while being hounded by a small crowd of drunks. Only the banjos were missing! Actually that's not true. Our cooler, three bottles of good wine, and some clothing were gone too!

So this is why, in our opinion, what they tried to do was lie and what YOU NEED TO KNOW .... A few of the reviews here talked about the poor handling of reservations. THIS DUMP IS VERY POORLY RUN at best. You simply CAN'T COUNT ON having a place to stay. We booked weeks in advance and even called back to confirm. We also called on our way up to see if the rooms were ready because we were going to a costume party at a local winery and wanted to change. They asked my name and told us the rooms wouldn't be ready until 1:00. We decided to go to the Leger anyway to change in the lobby restrooms. We arrived just after noon. They let us into the rooms to change even though they had not been maid serviced. (They had us on the books - I saw the owner check for our name and room# in the book behind the bar and they used my name to check the rez when I called). Also, we talked to the owner and staff about the party we were going to - a well known annual costume event. They clearly knew THE COSTUME PARTY WAS WHY WE WERE THERE - hello we're all dressed a pirates! Yet when they threw us out they tried to say we didn't actually have a reservation. (They let us into the rooms? How did they check the room condition when I called at noon? She confirmed our rez when we arrived in a book behind the bar). They tried to say that there must have been a mistake because the whole hotel, only 12 rooms, had been booked by a wedding. Really? Then why did they talk to us about the famous costume party and offer us props to use (this was before they saw me in my costume)? Also, why then when we first came through the saloon in costume didn't the owner or staff who talked to us stop to think "these people don't look like part of the wedding party?" When I asked them these questions and pointed out their story didn't make sense they then tried to blame a "fired employee" for the mistake. "She kept poor records...." Next it was a computer problem. All of this ONLY after they realized we were mad and there were going to be legal problems for them due to this outrage. It was just one excuse after another and none of it very well thought out.

But you know what? Turns out I'm 6'3' 210 lbs. and have just been on God's green earth a bit too long for this BS. It was ONLY after calling the sheriff, standing up to them, and threatening to sue them did they take what was happening seriously. Only then did they show the slightest concern or even offer to help. Ultimately they did tell us to go the Black Bart Inn over at the next town. We did - to our horror. Stinky, nasty soiled chair cushions, several greasy spots on the bed spreads (ewwww) and the very strong smell of mildew and BO. It only took two minutes for us to decide to just go home. Finally, at 3:00 am we slept in our own beds. We put our good friends in our guest room and everyone agreeing we were lucky to be OUT OF THERE. Over coffee the next morning we still couldn't believe what happened.

If you're OK with what you've just read and want to stay in a run-down cartoon-like fire-trap that's ready to fall down and warble around dusty junk looking for ghost - be my guest and stay at this lonely dump. Otherwise there are plenty of other fun, clean, interesting and NICE places to stay in the area. Try Murphy - we really enjoyed it and there's actually a town! http://www.visitmurphy...

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
26 Thank TravelCatII
Houston, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2010

I've stayed at the Hotel Leger 4 times in the past year. This my all-time favorite hotel, ever! The staff makes you feel like an old friend and are very courteous. The hotel has a restaurant and saloon for lunch, supper, and night caps. A great breakfast can be had at Frank's, just down the highway less than a minute's drive.

Keep in mind that this is not a Hilton or even a Motel 6. This is a gold rush era hotel, filled with antiques, and is family owned and run. It is a very old building, and their are likely to be things wrong. You may have to walk down the halway to a shared bathroom. You probably won't have more than one outlet. There won't be a hair dryer. The floors will creak and you'll be able to hear, or even feel, the music in the saloon. You may experience a ghostly encounter, though I have not.

If you come here with an attitude toward having an adventure, you certainly will, but if you are expecting the Hilton, you will be sorely dissapointed. I stay here every time I am in the area, and have brought friends and family here to show them this "working museum."

There are some rooms that have two or 3 full-size beds, and have their own bathroom. Some of the rooms share a bathroom with up to 2 other rooms. There are earplugs available, and I suggest you use them, because there is little sound insulation.

The food is Ok, with nothing to write home about, but good enough, and right there so you don't have to go anywhere. The drinks are good and there is a good selection of beer and liquor for mixed drinks and shots. The beds are comfortable, but mostly full-sized, with the exception of the queen bed down in the courtyard suite, which also has its own kitchen and living room.

The oranges are great though hard to get to. The courtyard is lovely. My favorite thing is to sit on the balcony and watch the sun set while talking to family and/or friends.

This is not a place to just stop and rest. It is a destination of itself, and an adventure every time. If you think you can enjoy it for what it is, then I urge you to stop by.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Days Inn Sutter Creek
#1 of 2 in Sutter Creek
28.3 km away
BEST WESTERN Cedar Inn & Suites

Been to The Historic Hotel Leger? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK