“A very average hotel. The trains are really a problem.”

DoubleTree by Hilton Modesto
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Modesto
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 January 2012

I've stayed here many times in the last several years with the most recent ending yesterday. I stayed in room 910. I was there two nights in a King Room upper floor on the side of the hotel away from the railroad tracks. I was jarred awake just after midnight and again after 2am by the sound of the train going by. I'm not a light sleeper and I don't complain about noise BUT its a real shocker to have that noise, its penetrating.

The room was old and needs a major paint job and new carpet. The furniture was old looking and badly scuffed. It looks like any other hotel way past its prime. I do travel a bit, so perhaps I'm more jaded than the typical guest.

I don't think its worth double the cost of the Best Western Townhouse Lodge even with a AAA discount. The only upside is that its in a safer neighborhood and I didn't worry about my car that was parked in the city owned parking structure across the street ($9/day). And, I got my HHonor points that I wouldn't have gotten had I stayed at the Best Western...

The staff were nice and the lobby attractive. There are many food choices nearby the best of which is "Deva" is an easy 10 min walk.

Room Tip: Even on the 9th floor on the opposite side of the railroad tracks I was awakened repeatedly by the t...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank LA-Backdoc
uglaten, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Modesto, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments in trip advisor. We are truly sorry that you did not have a good experience during your stay with us due to train noise. We understand your concerns about the noise from passing trains, and we want to assure you that we are doing everything we can to help make your stay with us more enjoyable. In response to noise caused by the town’s trains we offer complimentary ear plugs at the front desk, and we are consistently working with the city to have the noise reduced while trains are passing through Modesto. This is a town-wide disturbance, as all the hotels in Modesto are disrupted by the noise from passing trains and we are working to have this issue resolved. We are glad that you found the staff to be plesant and welcoming. We hope to see you again.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Modesto

Reviewed 24 January 2012

Traveled to Modesto recently for an event at the Gallo Center, We had heard from fellow travelers about the renovation of the downtown area and decided on the Doubletree because of it's location and reviews. Good choice.

The downtown area , with a number of good restaurants, is immediately adjacent to the hotel and the Gallo center is just a short walk.

The concern of some reviewers here is the railroad noise, and this is a valid point. In fact it's a valid point at many to downtown area hotels for most of the cities in the central valley. This is an agriculture based economy and they transport via an active railway system that runs through the center of town. The hotel is acutely aware of this and has taken obvious steps to mitigate the issue. Our party was aware of the trains but not bothered. Those who are noise sensitive should request a room away from the tracks.

The lounge area is nice and has a friendly staff. We enjoyed our gathering for a cocktail before heading out on the town.

It's one of the nicer hotels available, it's reasonably priced and the location closes the deal.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
uglaten, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Modesto, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2012

We truly appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Modesto. You are absolutely right; Central Valley prides in agriculture based economy and an active railway system is needed to transport various products. We do provide our guests with air plugs in the rooms and also offer rooms on the opposite side of railway track based upon availability. We are also actively working with the City and Business community to explore other alternatives in order to minimize the train noise.
We are gald that you enjoyed the walk to Gallo Center and got to experience the downtown Modesto. Thank you for complimenting our staff for it's corteous service in the lounge. Maintaining a first calss level of service is a challenging task, therefore, it is rewarding to know when we have been successful. We hope to welcome you back at the Doubletree by Hilton Hotel whenever your travel brings you to Modesto.

Reviewed 21 January 2012

I recently stayed for business at the Modesto Doubletree in January 2012. Due to the nature of my business I did not have much time to explore Modest and I took most meals at the hotel restaurant. I found the food to be surprisingly tasty with good quality fresh ingredients. I wasn't expecting much and was pleasantly surprised. The steak tip sandwich was yummy, the salads were very fresh, even the guacamole was freshly made. The hotel room was basic and mainly clean as you would expect from a Hilton property although the rug was stained. It's a basic room, nothing special. But the staff were welcoming and friendly and the service was quite good. I would stay again for business. Free Internet if you are Hilton hhonors.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments in trip advisor regarding your most recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton hotel Modesto.
We take pride in supporting local vendors and most of the produce we use in our menu are grown locally. We ensure that our produce and ingredients are always fresh. We are glad that your dining experience at our restaurant was a pleasant one in terms of quality of food and service. Your comments on our performance were most generous and shall be passed on to the appropriate staff members. It is always gratifying to know that our efforts were effective and appreciated.
We appreciate your patronage and hope you will stay with us the next time you are in Modesto area.

Reviewed 13 January 2012

Like many others, whenever humanly possible, I check reviews before checking in. My husband and I had to go to Modesto for a business meeting at the Doubletree in Modesto, Ca. He travels alot, and any semblance of a good night's sleep is sooooo important! In the past, he's given me a hard time about my obsession with referring to Trip Advisor-but not anymore! Taking the advice of previous reviewers, we got a room higher up and on the opposite side of the train tracks. THANK GOODNESS! As we were walking in the lobby, a train went by and was deafening-no wonder you can't sleep on that side of the hotel. As we were with a group, they originally had us on a different floor/room, but cheerfully moved us.
The hotel is very nice and the room is spotless and comfy. The beds are plush and the colors are a buttery yellow with attractive cherrywood furniture. Spacious room with a nice love seat and desk. The dresser has plenty of space for clothes, and the bath is well-appointed with fluffy towels and a pretty shower curtain that curves around the tub. The closet door is a full length folding mirror, which is really useful when dressing for a night out. Plenty of granite covered counter space, nice flat screen tv, modern fixtures and a small refrigerator add to the comfort factor.
There is a large Brendon Theatre complex across the street, and many nice eateries close by. Again, thank you Trip Advisor and reviewers for helping plan our great stay!

Room Tip: Make sure to get an upper room on opposite side of Railroad Tracks! (We got room # 920)
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments in Trip Advisor. We are are certainly pleased that your recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Modesto was a pleasant one. We take enormous pride in our services and facilities, and it is always rewarding to know when our efforts have been successful.
We look forward to accomodating you again, when business or pleasure brings you to the Modesto area.

Reviewed 23 December 2011

Omg, this hotel is soooo loud!! The train runs all night long and during the day. I got no sleep last night and I have to fly all day. The hotel is very clean and the beds are comfy. I love double trees beds, but not with a train running by my head!

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Misstravelqueen7
uglaten, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Modesto, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2012

Thank you for taking the time to send your comments and review our hotel. We understand your concerns about the noise from passing trains, and we want to assure you that we are doing everything we can to help make your stay with us more enjoyable. In response to noise caused by the town’s trains we offer complimentary ear plugs at the front desk, and we are consistently working with the city to have the noise reduced while trains are passing through Modesto. This is a town-wide disturbance, as all the hotels in Modesto are disrupted by the noise from passing trains and we are working to have this issue resolved. We hope that the amenities we have to offer were satisfactory and we are always open to new suggestions. We hope to see you again.”