“Go there!”

Gen Korean BBQ House
Ranked #29 of 330 Restaurants in Milpitas
Reviewed 12 July 2017 via mobile

Was here for my first time and the experience was wonderful! The food is great and the meats seem to be good quality, the staff is very friendly and helpful and the price is right! Make sure to make a reservation if you're a party bigger than 2. You can also come here on your own and will be seated at the bar.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Gen Korean BBQ House

Reviewed 29 May 2017 via mobile

Am sure it has all been said before. This is a very hip take on Korean BBQ food. Very Crowded with a 45MIN WAIT (CALL AHEAD). Decor and cleanliness was modern and clean. Normal Korean grill and seating. Food met my expectation. Great for a group or new to Korean BBQing . Service was ok, not the best because of volume of people.

Reviewed 1 May 2017 via mobile

I give this place 7 stars. I walked up there was long line offered to sit at the bar- wait time 1 min!!! After I sat down, I was not sure what to order (since this was my first time here) and the young lady helping me was OUTSTANDING!!! The Customer Service over the top! When I finally finished my lunch the manager came by to thank me for my business and asked me to come again- I thought this was very nice of him- I'm sorry I forgot the names of those the helped me but I want to give a special shot out to the 2 of you and say thanks for the great food and great service!!!! Just a FYI- the floor walking to the bar was a little slippery- other than that great job and thank you!!! I definitely recommend and I will be back!!!!!!!

Reviewed 10 April 2017

We were passing through and though at 2pm the wait shouldn't be too bad, that was mistake number 1. The tables were maybe 1/2 to 2/3 occupied, but there were a lot of groups of people waiting for tables. It took about an hour to get seated, now if I knew it was going to be that long, we would have went somewhere else. My friend said he had a bad feeling about this place since looking around people were just staring at each other at the tables instead of eating. That should have been the 2nd clue that we should have left.

We had a long drive back to So Cal, I calculated that if we left by 4:30pm we should be able to return the rental car before they closed at Midnight. So stopping for Korean BBQ shouldn't take hours right?

When we finally got seated, we quickly ordered and the long wait continued. We did get drinks, some extremely small portions of banchan, and a tiny plate of bulgogi and descent sized portion of brisket, and a couple small Hawaiian steaks. But no sauce at all, for at least 6 to 8 plates of meat, even with asking for sauce every time the waiter came by. Eating dry brisket is bad, and we had a few plates like that.

The meat came out slower and slower, finally got some sauce, no banchan refills, and finally when we did get some banchan, there were 3 cucumber pieces per dish and the smallest serving of kim chee I've ever seen. It was so painful, I felt like just leaving and not even paying since it seemed like we didn't even eat anything it was so slow.

At this point I left a really bad Yelp review, as did a friend of mine. Magically just after that the service took a 180 turn, either someone read the reviews or almost all of our waiter's other tables had left and he actually had time for us. Not sure what it was, but we finally got some big sides of banchan, more sauce, and the meat kept coming at a good pace. It felt like a normal Korean BBQ restaurant experience that we usually get in Korean Town in LA. I felt so bad since for 2 of our group it was their first time at an AYCE Korean BBQ place and it was the worst experience I've ever had at any KBB restaurant I've ever gone to, and I've been to a lot.

When the pace picked up to normal levels, I was starting to get full, but I just kept eating for the principal of it all. We probably went through 10 more plates of meat than we really wanted, and we ended up staying around 2.5 to 3 hours after we got seated. They have a 2 hour time limit, but at the 2 hour mark, we had hardly eaten anything, so if they would have kicked us out, there would have been a huge mistake. I think they realized that and just let us keep eating until we were finished.

Overall the meat is ok, all the Gen locations I've been to seem pretty consistent, worth the lunch price, but at the dinner price, there's so many better places to go in So Cal, I'm sure in Nor Cal too. Factoring in the wait, lack of staff, and extremely slow service, I would never come back here, not even for free.

I hope they do read my reviews here and on Yelp and do something to improve the service and staffing, it seems to be a recurring problem based on other reviews I read. With so much competition out there it won't take long for them to close down if things don't change.

Reviewed 11 January 2017 via mobile

This all you can eat Korean BbQ place has a nice interior deco with loud music. At 10pm, we had to wait for 20 minutes to get seated. The food quality is okay but not great. Lower your quality expectation and everything else is good. Servers were not that knowledgeable of Korean foods either.