“Best dumplings ever!”

Ranked #54 of 99 Restaurants in Millbrae
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 15
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 23 December 2015 via mobile

Love them! We ordered the crab & pork dumplings and the potstickers to go. They were super fast and totally amazing!! Totally recommend them.

Reviewed 24 August 2015

We were a party of six and waited an hour for a table as there are more tables for 2 or 4 diners than more. We considered leaving but then talked to another waiting diver who said she drives from across the Bay Bridge to eat at this restaurant because the food is so good and recommended that we wait. We did and were glad. The wait staff was courteous, efficient and the food delicious enough for my very picky husband--he really liked the pork potstickers. He also ordered the spicy won tons, but I was not sure if that was brought to our table because they looked like potstickers covered with a peanut sauce--which we didn't like as much as we liked the soup dumplings we ordered--10 pork and 10 crab and pork. Unfortunately they were out of green beans, but my husband, who doesn't like vegetables, really liked the bok choy with thinly sliced bean curd and the mixed vegetable delight dish that had zucchini, broccoli, bok choy, and a variety of mushrooms. My picky brother liked the braised fish with green onion and tried everything. We all liked the crispy scallion pancake as well as the Shanghai style fried noodles. I'll probably come back with my sister who's a huge fan of soup dumplings. Also our bill was only $100 for 6 people which is a good value for the amount of food we consumed.

Reviewed 30 July 2015

Our family decided to pop in for lunch on a Thurday early afternoon. Admittedly it was a spontaneous decision and we went without a reservation, so the restaurant was in a slight panic over our sudden arrival with a party of sixteen people. However, to their credit, they did manage to seat us all, though not quite together. The food was excellent and priced reasonably. Since most of us (including me) were not from the area, I couldn't say how it compares to other local places, but it was certainly a place I'd be happy to try again. Onion pancakes were especially delicious, along with the steamed crab dumplings, which were being handmade at lightning pace by one very illustrious worker in the kitchen the entire time we were there.

Reviewed 21 July 2015 via mobile

Over the years, the quality of food at this restaurant has been inconsistent. When it first opened, it was truly a very good Shanghai cuisine. However, it occasionally fluctuated. This visit in July 2015 is the worst. It is best known for Xiao Long Bao 小籠包. It should have some soup inside the dumplings. This time all were dry. Lion's Head 獅子頭 was tough meat balls. We brought an out of town Chinese friend and was embarrassed by this experience. Service, while never its strength, was bordering unfriendly. The servers (several) came by and wanted to hurry us. I used to recommend highly this restaurant but not anymore. Probably not having competition for Shanghai cuisine and living off the past, it has become a DO NOT GO place if you have discerning taste or have guest who has discerning taste.

1  Thank Albert C
Reviewed 19 July 2015

Could never figure out why people line up outside - California does not yet seems to be hit by famine, when simply getting any food in your stomach would be a reason enough. It is as lackluster Shanghai food as Adam Sandler's comedy, but I guess some people like Adam Sandler. Any decent competitor should be able to put "Shanghai Dumpling Shop" out of its misery. Good thing Ding Tai Fung is coming - expect one should not mention both names in the same review.