“I Wish I Lived Closer”

Cheung Hing
Ranked #36 of 109 Restaurants in Millbrae
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 8 April 2018

It is true there is limited ambience in this place. It’s simply a solid restaurant that serves no nonsense, delicious food. The menu is vast and reasonably priced. It’s difficult to imagine how they are able to serve such an array of dishes. I recently ate here for the second time and found the experience to be as good as the first time.
On this occasion I ordered lo mein noodles with two meat items, roast duck and barbequed pork. There was nothing fancy about the presentation. It was a heaping pile of thin noodles, 4 halves of baby bok choi, and a very generous serving of the two meats. Straightforward and satisfying. I found the bok choi difficult to eat with chop sticks and imagined that the rest of the clientele was gaining a good laugh at my struggle, but pride kept me from asking for a fork. I was the only Caucasian customer and didn’t want to appear inept, though I admit to cheating at times by using my fingers. I wonder if anyone even noticed…
I wish I lived closer to this restaurant, as I would dine here weekly.

Reviewed 5 March 2018

I go on binges where I eat at the same place a few times that week because that's what I crave for and because I CAN. Roast duck, roast pork, chicken, chicken and duck feet, pig tongue, pig stomach ... I could go on, don't knock it till you've tried it along with all the other standard Chinese food fare. 90% of the people eating there are Chinese and the rest are "in the know." You know? Close to SFO and easy parking on street and the parking lot next door. Fried rice, hot and sour soup, likely everything you're familiar with a lot you're not and you will be into once you try. Clean and well-up-kept. I recommend. There's another on Grand in So. San Francisco and one in the Sunset but this is the one I go to the most and I think you'll like it al lot.

Reviewed 8 February 2018 via mobile

We had a huge take out orders of fried rice, roasted duck, roasted chicken, beef mushroom in clay pot etc. It was tasty and very reasonably priced. We’ll revisit their infamous porridge dishes next time.

Reviewed 14 November 2017 via mobile

I wasn't surprised when I saw their poor hygiene score by the food department when attempting to write this review.
This is the lowest of rating I've given a restaurant. I usually try not to give negative feedbacks on eatery for one time visit if the food is mediocre.
This restaurant indeed serves a good tasting roast duck. That's a 4 stars on that dish. However, my recent dining experience there with my family was horrific! The entire wait staff was so rude.
We ordered some roast duck, veggies and 3 bowls of wonton noodles. When the food came, only one bowl of noodles arrived. We told them what was ordered and instead of apologizing, the waitress was arguing we had ordered one!
It took extremely long for the 2 other bowls to arrive. When we reminded them we are still waiting for our food, the waitress shouted back "have to cook"! Then she turned to the other 2 waitresses and made some unkind remarks in Cantonese. They didn't know or couldn't careless we understood Cantonese. My sister couldn't resist answering them back and they actually came to the table to argue back! OMG! OMG!!
When the noodles finally arrived, we didn't dare to eat for fear there might be "additional" ingredients on the noodles.
We weren't expecting fine dining service at this place. All they need to do is said the orders is perhaps mixed up and the food will be out shortly. Don't need all the dramas...
Not going back even if the roast duck is free!

Reviewed 1 November 2017 via mobile

No free dessert or nuts anymore, times are hard, whole duck up to $20 now, but compare to kitchen and tail wu it's a bargain. Vast menu even frog! Had steam eggs with clams, comfort food like mom's, omg! Should chicken moist and fresh, duck could use more spices. Service slow due to dispute over take outs, but English OK. Go early. Watch the ducks go fast for dinner take outs. Char siu is good, ribs kinda dry more bones, goose what happened to the goose. Good take put to take on plane half the cost or more.