All reviews fire pit stanford university starbucks coffee machine huge hot tub silicon valley palo alto caltrain station no elevator stay there again nice size boutique hotel common areas front desk person convenient location free breakfast nice breakfast hot breakfast
Reviewed 30 August 2018

For nearly two years, I was commuting to Silicon Valley for my job and averaged 2-4 nights per week. At first, I tried Airbnbs which were less expensive. And then I found Hotel Lucent. It is clean, smartly appointed, and the service is AMAZING! I got to know Gary Sterman the manager who would make sure I had what I needed when I was travelling alone - or when my husband joined. Clearly, he leads the team as everyone from Mitchell in charge of breakfast to other managers and the cleaning teams were so gracious. And helpful. I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel to anyone who needs to stay in the Menlo Park area. And if you return frequently, you might get on the board in the office as a special regular visitor. Gary is nicely engaging with customers, not intrusive, yet very warm. He remembers you and your story. When I retired from my job, he had champagne on ice with a note in my room for my husband and me. That is not what I might have expected when I first started staying there. He and his staff made returning such a joy!!!

Room tip: Room 213 has a sitting room. Some rooms face the street and might be a bit nosier. No elevator so first floor....very secure hotel.
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 27 August 2018

Wonderful stay in a great, relaxing hotel, with friendly staff and an overall easy-going atmosphere. Nice breakfast, lovely courtyard layout that obscures any possible noise from being close to the road. Great lane pool/jacuzzi and comfortable, clean room.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 25 August 2018

Hotel Lucent creates a comfortable respite from a busy world. The staff makes every effort to accommodate customer’s requests. The location is centrally located to main highways, area attractions and lovely restaurants. The decor is modern but calming. It continues to be our “go-to” location when visiting the area.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 20 August 2018 via mobile

Chose this hotel due to location. I grew up in the area and am impressed by how nicely updated, though I never visited it when it was the “mermaid inn”.
Next to Safeway - not the best grocery store but is acceptable. Must visit the adjacent Cook’s seafood for great fish and chips.
This hotel is well laid out: nice courtyard, spa and lobby. Rooms are open and clean. nice deep bathtubs. tight parking lot but not impossible to navigate. Breakfast is very nice: fresh fruit, naked juice, nice coffee machine.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
hotellucentmenlopark, General Manager at Hotel Lucent, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2018

Dear Mai,

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay. I am glad that you too love Cook's Seafood as much as we do! Cod, calamari and ciopppino are must haves!

We appreciate hearing from all of our guests, especially those with roots in the area. Please be sure to say hello to me next time you are visiting.

Warm regards,

Gary Sterman

Reviewed 3 August 2018 via mobile

We stayed in a suite room with an extra sofa bed for five nights during a trip to see our daughter who lives 10 min away. Hotel was picked because it was the closest to her apartment and had an extra sofa bed for our son.

Apparently there was a big convention in town so prices were nearly double the average rate for first few nights.

This is an old style motel that has been updated. It’s cute but obviously was done on a budget. It met our needs.

Pros

1 Bed was comfy

2 Our room near the back was fairly quiet except for one night when the hall behind the hotel was rented for a party but they did shut down about 11

3 Parking was always available

4 The Internet worked well

5 Breakfast was actually very good and had lots of items available. Coffee machine is awesome.

6 Room was clean. Housekeeping was friendly

7 Staff were helpful and polite

Cons: This is a very expensive area. Given that plus the in town convention, I won’t say we got a good deal but I guess it’s all relative. Now that I’ve visited the area and have seen some other hotels, I might check those out if I return.

This is not a luxury hotel (despite the price) but I can tell they’ve tried to cater to what people really need which is a good bed, quiet, Internet, breakfast. It would’ve been nice if they’d use higher quality materials for the interior finishes.

We enjoyed our stay overall.

Please ditch that 150 pound sliding bathroom door with the inch gaps on the sides. It came off the rails and is just a ridiculous contraption.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Shan262,

Thank your for your detailed review of Hotel Lucent. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and the hotel in general, aside from the bathroom's 'barn door'. You are correct that our prices are high due to high occupancy, especially mid-week. Rates are very reasonable on weekends and Sundays and we offer discounts based on how long you are staying.

Warm regards,