Open today: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Very Helpful

Reviewed 8 August 2018
Kellie F
San Jose, California

All reviews tomales bay guided trip an amazing experience milky way river otters safety bioluminescence instructions gear sparks liz techniques skirt intro blast campsite wildlife
Reviewed 27 August 2018

Our trip started at 6:30pm from Miller Boat Launch. Arrive a bit early and be sure to bring $5 for the parking fee.
We met with Drew and he got us fitted with a windbreaker, spray skirt and life jacket and into our kayaks. He went over some directions and addressed our concerns and we were off paddling away towards the other side of Tomales Bay. We were a group of 6 with ages ranging from 13 to 64 and did not have too much trouble making it across and eventually back at the end of the night. We all brought our own water bottles and snacks and enjoyed them on a beach on the other side while we waited a bit for the sun to settle. After a short break we were off kayaking towards areas of Tomales bay. Once it was dark we were able to enjoy the Bioluminescence. Having seen this before on a trip in Mexico it was familiar but this Kayak trip was a much better experience. We all enjoyed our trip and look forward to trying it again. My only complaint was that the kayak I used had stiff steering cables and the windbreakers were wet from previous use but those were optional and we used them over our gear for added warmth. Thanks again Drew! August 9th family of 6.

Reviewed 8 August 2018

I have my own kayak, but stopped in to see if it was possibl to rent an animal proof container (FYI: they didn't have at the Tomales Bay site that day).

However, I ended up getting lots of advice and helpful tips from their knowledgeable staff (I talked with Dallas mostly). I appreciated them taking the time to make sure we would be as prepared as possible for the trip and giving us suggestions for where to land and which route to take.

Reviewed 29 June 2018

I booked moonlight kayak tour for teenage foster sons while camping at Samuel P. Taylor Park. After receiving email at 3:30 regarding where to meet we left for Marshall around 6:30 to meet at boat ramp shortly before 7:30. After parking and walking down to trailer with kayaks, we met two guides. One of them told us the wind was coming up and would only get worse, so he was "calling it", though there were no specifics about what wind conditions were and it did not seem bad. Calling it for weather is their prerogative of course, but I asked him why they hadn't called us to tell us rather than wait there for us. He said that they hadn't known until an hour before. I said that would have been before we left for the almost hour drive, or even if they had called while we were driving and we could have turned back. He suggested for fun we could go have some beers at Nick's Cove- this again was with my teenage foster sons. We ended up driving over an hour and a half round trip to be told the wind had come up an hour before we left. It also appeared we were the only ones signed up for the tour, so it would have taken one phone call or text to cancel it. However great their actual tours may be, their lack of customer service and communication regarding the cancellation cost us a long drive for nothing, and left us far from any alternative activities we could have tried.

1  Thank Rsebec
Reviewed 6 May 2018 via mobile

I recently went on a bioluminescence kayaking trip in Tomales Bay. My daughter was doing a report on bioluminescence and Blue Waters Kayaking is the place to go!! Their guides are extremely knowledgeable of the area, history and science of Tomales Bay. We had a blast watching river otters playing, seals passing by and even got to view the beautiful silver/blue hues of the bioluminescence in the water.
We will be back!!!

1  Thank StephanieT955
Reviewed 30 April 2018

My wife and I are novice kayakers and our experience with our very experienced and professional guide named Jeff and the others at Blue Water was outstanding. Great and very patient instruction and application of new paddling techniques. Major emphasis upon safety and rescue techniques. A wonderful experience and we came away exhilarated.

1  Thank David S
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I rebooked the bioluminescent tour as they had deemed the first date less than ideal. I felt safety was foremost on the minds of the guides. Jeff, who has been with the company many years, provided a great intro to paddling on dry land. Liz provided us with life jackets, kayak skirts and a rain jacket before getting into our double kayaks. During the paddling we would "raft up" and learn history and wildlife information. Plenty of time in the bioluminescent areas. I felt cared for and educated. A blast!

Reviewed 14 December 2017

Blue Waters Kayaking gave me the best possible intro to SUPing. I had a private instructor who was amazingly attentive and patient (Jeff was his name I think) and he made me a fan of that new sport in a few hours. I couldn't have asked for more. Thank you BWK!

Reviewed 13 December 2017

It was awesome!
I've never been kayaking before, but the tour guides were all super friendly and helpful with giving a brief run down on how to kayak and rounding us up. Jeffrey, the asian dude, was my tour guide and he was really awesome. Nice guy, easy to talk to, and eager to inform us of the fun facts while we kayak and stuff.

The view though...I did not expect the night sky to be full of so many stars. You can get a perfect view of the stars and the milk way. And the bioluminescence was nothing short of magical. It was like light inside the water, like in a movie or an anime. Definitely gonna book another trip next year when I get the chance. I can't recommend them enough. Do the bioluminescence night tour, for sure.

...Umm..I should note a few tips though:
1. Do NOT bring your cell phone. Honestly it gets too dark to take any pictures or videos so it's not worth. Also, it is very possible for your phone to fall into the water, so don't do it.
2. Dress in a hoody and sweatpants or something. Do NOT dress fancy. I was on a tour with a dude and what seemed to be his date. She was dressed in some nice shoes that got muddy and stuff. Do not recommend. Wear wet-resistant boots or somethings.
3. Wear wet-resistant boots. Rainboots or whatever.
4. Bring cash-money for parking. Dolla dolla bills, don't do 20s. Only 5s and 1s. I forgot how much parking is. I think it was like $10? Don't remember. Probably best to bring like 2 $5s and $1s
5. Date-night: Great idea. Let them know to dress in sweats and rainboots. Just...do it. Trust.
6. If you don't know how to kayak, they teach you. If you don't know how to swim, they strap you in life-jacket, so you float instead of drown. Neat.
They rent out a kayak for you and a wet suit. Oh, I should mention, it's pretty clean, so no worries.
7. Have fun, dress warm. Don't bring your cell phone. Bring Cash-Money for parking.

5  Thank Alan L
Reviewed 10 December 2017

Last night (12/8/17) we went on a night paddle in Tomales Bay to see marine phosphorescence. We left at sunset and paddled out into the changing sky and water. As dark fell we trailed our hands in the water and watched sparks unfurl from our fingers. The Milky Way glowed overhead.

Periodically the guide had us link our kayaks together while he dispensed interesting facts. He has an impressive body of knowledge and was able to answer all my questions in detail. Sometimes he encouraged us to just sit quietly and appreciate the tranquility of our surroundings. These quiet times were some of my favorite parts of the trip.

On the dark ocean you lose your depth perception. It feels like you’re sitting still and things are moving around you. It’s otherworldly, in a serene way. The only sounds were the watery rhythm of the paddles and small noises from various land animals. I’ve never done anything like this. It was magical.

My only criticism about this trip is that the second guide dispensed information almost constantly. He had a customer in his boat and was pleasantly entertaining her, but his voice really carried. For me at least, this disturbed the serenity of the experience somewhat. Both guides were very competent and they obviously love their work. I felt completely safe at all times.

Before you go, carefully read the instructions and wear warm clothes, preferably wool or poly-pro.

1  Thank JanetWOakland_CA
Reviewed 18 November 2017

Finally ! After missing this activity in 2016, we were able to do it this November. This review is for bioluminescence kayaking with Liz and Zack. It was an amazing experience.
If you find it difficult to find a spot, please be patient. It's totally worth it. 4 of us (amateurs) did it and loved it. We saw glitters all the way through our kayaking at night. It was green in color and tinge of blue here and there. Liz and Zack were very organized and friendly throughout our trip. I highly recommend this activity.