“Malibu, The Greek Islands and Taverna Tony”
Review of Taverna Tony

Taverna Tony
Ranked #17 of 95 Restaurants in Malibu
Price range: US$ 21 - US$ 30
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 30 November 2017

Malibu, California: golden sunshine, white sands beaches and 24/7 TTP (time to play). For the movie stars, athletes and others who reside in Malibu eating out and dining well are essential. For many years, dining well was a burrito on the beach. 25 years ago that all changed. Tony Koursaris, legendary Greek restaurant owner, previously in London and Paris moved into Malibu.

Tony opened Taverna Tony for “Greek eats and sweets”(with the best baklava in America according to my sweet tooth).

What makes Taverna Tony superb is great food, warm and friendly staff and a great “beach vibe.” On my second glass of great CA wine, I sit on their expansive patio with plants, vines, white washed walls and wood plank patio roof. The indoor dining room feels like you have been transported to a Greek island.

Tony understands that the “vibe” makes the meal so your view of the Santa Monica Mountains from the patio, with the golden CA blue sky, listening to Greek piped in music nestled among plants and flowers arranged in multi-colored planters creates your own “movie”. Are you on Crete, Santorini or in Malibu? After my 2d glass of wine I do not know (or care). Since it took me a 45-minute car ride and not a 10-hour plane ride I safely and correctly assumed I was in Malibu.

And the food, endless platters of Greek specialties of the highest quality (Tony explained to me that he imports many items from Greece directly); from the fresh baked breads, and Greek dips on to the soups and the California fresh salads your hunger is soon gone. And then the main event... lamb, like I have never tasted, fish so fresh tastes like it was just caught, a menu so wide it would take a week to order.

On the weekends, my favorite time is the afternoons. Families and friends sit at communal tables and enjoy 4-hour celebrations. These types of social celebrations are so rare these days in America that it may seem surreal. I assure you the first bite of the meal will convince you otherwise.

Save room for the baklava. Since in the words of my favorite Italian philosopher, Frank Sinatra “the best is yet to come”.

Reviewed 20 November 2017

Wonderful food and nice ambiance.Live entertainment added to an enjoyable evening. A little expensive, but everything was delicious.

Reviewed 9 November 2017

I had been looking forward to eating at Tony's for a number of years. It did not disappoint. When the bread is fresh it's usually good sign. When they added their complimentary dip with it things were going in the right direction. The octopus was to die for and the traditional house salad that they served was so good. I had one of the three lamb dishes on the menu and got to sample the other two that my friends had ordered. All were excellent. I would go back again and most likely order the same meal again.

Reviewed 6 November 2017 via mobile

Overpriced, average restaurant. Fish my wife had was decent, but 2 sets of dry chicken and undercooked rice set a negative tone for the day.

Reviewed 4 November 2017

Great Greek food. Fun atmosphere. Love the Vegetarian Paradise. Portions are large and good for sharing.

Been to Taverna Tony? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK