“Akari is A-Okay”

Cuisines: Pizza
Neighbourhood: South San Fernando Valley
Neighbourhood: South San Fernando Valley
Reviewed 30 October 2016 via mobile

I've been going to Akari for a couple of years now. It isn't a traditional Japanese sushi bar it's very California influenced, which isn't a negative here. Rudy the Itamae-san understands the traditional values of sushi culture. Every time I've gone there, there is immediate recognition of who I am and what I like. The sunomono taco salad is oishi - tasty. So from the moment I sit down he asks if that is what I'm going to start with and it is. Next is a small sashimi platter. Rude again always remembers which fish I like, the fact that I like the belly portions, and which "condiments" I like accompanying each fish on the platter. The tempura batter is light and not greasy. Akari serves good-sized pieces of fish at a good price. It's a nice neighborhood place the provides a good overall experience and most importantly the fish is always fresh.

Reviewed 7 October 2015

Ordered my mom's birthday dinner online after finding this place on Yelp. I was about 5 min. later than what the estimated pickup time was, and lo and behold, it was ready to go. My mom is a huge halibut fan and she was very impressed with their halibut sushi (3 orders of it!). I also got an order of the albacore sushi, and it was definitely better than a LOT of other (and more expensive) places. Also got the Fuji, which is not a roll, but spicy tuna and spicy something else on crispy wonton skins. These things were gooooood!!! The Hokkaido roll was gosh darn good as well! Ordered enough food for 3 people to get very full, and it came to $51!!! We definitely have plans to go back and eat at the restaurant soon. And as it's in a strip mall, parking was NOT a problem at all, which is always appreciated/taken into consideration when thinking of a restaurant on Ventura Blvd.

Reviewed 2 September 2015

When I say Akari Sushi is average, you have to keep in mind that it's located in one of the densest spots in the United States for sushi restaurants. Ventura Boulevard is synonymous with sushi. So it's as fierce a competitive environment as you're going to find. Little differences matter. A lot.

Here the prices are off. They're too high for what's on offer, relative to the competition. And there's no reason. I've been twice, and on both occasions my sushi was delivered a shade too warm. The place itself has a slightly run-down feel, too.

It's not *bad* by any stretch—and in any other location it would be just fine. It's truly average. But here, average can be fatal. Something has to stand out, be distinctive. For me, Akari doesn't quite get there.

Reviewed 27 April 2013 via mobile

Just had a wonderful Thai massage and was hungry. Saw a sushi place in the same shopping center and it looked good so why not. Very pleasantly surprised. Great fresh food. Creative rolls, reasonably priced and great service. And I didn't even have to move my car. Great place... Would definitely go back.