6 people are viewing this hotel
$367
InterContinental$417
Hotels.com$382
travelup.com$468
All reviews rooftop bar floor lobby tallest building la boucherie open air bar club lounge corner room executive suite beautiful hotel hollywood sign fitness center luxury hotel checking in room key staples center valet parking spire
Selected filters
Reviewed 6 June 2021

Welcome back from the pandemic! We travelled to LA to get together with extended family (all VAXed) and stayed at the Icon because it was central to all the things we were doing that weekend. Hubby booked an executive suite specifically so that he would have a 40" screen on which to watch the Champions League game. The view from a room on 45th floor is good, but the best view is obtained by walking around the 69th floor where the Dekkadance restaurant is located. Because of the pandemic, you can walk all the way around the floor, as meeting rooms are vacant. So go now while you still can.

Our exec suite was great -- firm bed, nice sheets, good ventilation, good lighting, rain shower, couldn't hear neighbors. Wifi was free for IHG members and about 40 mbps. You can use chromecast to watch your netflix account on the TV. A huge gym with towels (but locker rooms currently closed). A 25 foot pool. We would definitely stay here again!

One of the downsides is that the Dekkadance restaurant pricing is extremely high. $75 for a mediocre breakfast (don't order the frittata!). The elevators are a burden, you have to go through the 69th floor lobby to get to the 1st floor, so count on 10 minutes to get in and out of the hotel, and 15-20 minutes to get your car from the valet.

You are 2 blocks from the Pantry, a small shoping mall is next door, and the flower district is just a mile away.

2  Thank mjtraveler22
Reviewed 4 June 2021

I spent a weekend here last month May 22-24 and used my Free Night certificate as a IHG Spire Ambassador. I got upgraded to a Club InterContinental Corner Suite - 6228 and boy was I blown away again. On my previous stay in 2019 I was on the 42nd floor I think it was.

This corner king was much much larger. 1.5 bathrooms, living room, dining table, two flat screen tvs. Massive bed and huge bathroom with both tub and shower with raindrop shower head. There was also a Nespresso machine and minibar which was locked. It would have been good if it was unlocked so I could store drinks inside, rather than having to walk to the ice machine everyday, but thats minor. On the plus side, there is a Nespresso machine which was great to use in the mornings!

Floor to ceiling glass meant I rarely closed my curtains. The view was just wow. Looking directly at the Staples Centre whilst laying in bed was just surreal. As they say, it is the tallest hotel in the USA west of Chicago.

Although the hotel was extremely busy, somethings are still closed due to COVID, including the famed Club Intercontinental. I had a $50 credit due to the club being closed so used this at Dekkadance on the 69th floor for an incredible breakfast.

The only thing I would fault the hotel on is those annoying resort fees which are nothing more than a money grab. It is $34.71 USD per night tax inclusive and according to the website it allows guests to enjoy valuable benefits like complimentary bottled water, 24 hour access to Attitude Fitness center, priority access to Spire 73, discount card and special offers for local restaurants and merchants, access to digital newsstand with publications from around the world, complimentary premium internet access. Domestic and International calling* (International calling up to 30 minutes daily). Complimentary package receiving (up to 5 packages per stay, bulky items not included).

I don't need any of these things, nor did I use any of them except the two bottles of water. I find these fees are getting outrageous all across the US and I'm now considering avoiding all hotels with these silly fees.

Room tip: 6228 is an amazing corner king suite
1  Thank BGIWorldTraveller
Reviewed 3 June 2021

Wow, what a fabulous hotel. My first time staying in this hotel. I'm a Spire Elite and was really impressed with both the room but also the staff. The staff is extremely friendly. Literally, everyone had a smile on their face and greeted you warmly every time they saw you. Even the cleaning lady in the lobby warmly greeted you when you entered.

People complain a lot about the wait for the elevator but honestly, I think they are exaggerating. We stayed 3 nights during the busy Memorial Day weekend and it never took long to get an elevator and certainly they allow more people to go in now. The elevators are really quick.

We booked two rooms (one for my wife and I and one for our 3 kids). They had upgraded our rooms but then when we told them we needed connecting rooms they gave us a normal room on the 43rd floor. They had initially had us on much higher floors.

The room was clean and the views were fabulous. Valet parking only and it was really busy but it never took long to drop off our car and we'd call down 15 minutes before we would leave and they always had our car ready. It IS pricey at $50 a day for parking.

I used two of my Chase Free night certificates for 2 of the nights. I was surprised we were able to use them at such a nice hotel as many others I've tried to use lately are much higher.

I'd definitely come back to this property. Nothing at all to complain about.

2  Thank saintba
Reviewed 11 May 2021

The room was nice and so was the view. But waiting for the elevator was a nightmare. to get to your room, you have to go to the lobby....on the 70th floor. And then take another elevator to the floor your room is on. That, together with 4 on an elevator due to covid, and the touch screen where you enter your floor before you get on the elevator meant waiting and frustration every time you had to go up or down.

Also, there was nowhere to get a drink after 6:00 pm.

2  Thank G6629VQandrewf
IHG Service, Owner at InterContinental Los Angeles Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2021

Hi G6629VQandrewf,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback about your stay at our hotel.

We're committed to providing an exceptional experience and what transpired during your stay isn't the experience we want you to have or to any guests. I'm sorry to hear about the challenges endured due to the issues with the elevator. I shared this with our hotel management along with your comments about the lack of options to get a drink after 6:00 PM. Your feedback will be used as a reference to improve the services offered.

We appreciate you choosing us for your accommodation needs. I hope you'll consider us again in your future visits to the area!

Stay safe,

Jomar M.
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 8 May 2021 via mobile

As you walk into the building you’re taken back my the sheer size of the building. When you check in on the 71st floor you are surrounded by breath taking views and greeted by amazing staff. The room was a one bedroom suite with almost 360 views of the whole city. Absolutely beautiful.

The staff went above and beyond to make my stay so memorable and enjoyable. Thank you!

5 stars for service, 5 stars for room, 5 stars for overall building.

Date of stay: April 2021