“An Oasis in the Middle of Hollywood!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Magic Castle Hotel

Magic Castle Hotel
Ranked #2 of 349 Hotels in Los Angeles
Los Angeles, California
“An Oasis in the Middle of Hollywood!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

I had friends coming in for a visit with 3 kids, and spent a week scouting locations when someone suggested the Magic Castle. I stopped by and met Gabi, who showed me around. I was looking at 2 rooms so mom & dad could have some privacy, but Gabi showed me a one bedroom suite that was perfect! I texted photos and my friends booked before I left the property. From there, it only got better...

I was emailing Gabi weekly with questions, and she was incredibly helpful with suggestions ranging from florists to baby sitting services. The front desk staff took delivery of gifts for the family, which they put in the room before my friends arrived. The gifts were actually snacks, which were completely unnecessary, since they were able to have anything they wanted whenever they wanted it. My favorite part was the artistic display of chips someone set up on the dining room table when we walked in!

Upon check in, my friend asked to put down a credit card for incidentals, and was informed there WERE no incidentals; continental breakfast, unlimited snacks & a pretty nice DVD collection, all included. Oh, and the pool's open 24 hours! OK, so the kids are in heaven.

The service is hands-down the best I've experienced in the city. The entire front desk team went out of their way to make sure every guest was happy at all times. They knew where to go (thanks Zeeshan), what to do (thanks Nick), and where to get a pizza delivered at 10:45 on a Tuesday night (thanks Joslin). I was also given a guest parking pass for the duration of my friends' stay (yay Zeeshan).

Housekeeping is quick,efficient and always has a smile & a hello whenever you pass them...even in the garage.

I live a mile away, and I do not stay at family friendly hotels...ever! I don't have anything against family centric hotels, but don't have children and place a high value on peace and quiet when I travel.

While I did not stay here, I did spend a considerable amount of time on the property. In spite of being one block off Hollywood Blvd, family centric, and having a pool that's open 24 hours, I felt relaxed every time I walked through the front door. I can't wait to book a stay-cation here!

Gabi, Zeeshan, Nick, Joslin, Marzia & Lisa--BRAVO & THANK YOU!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank wam3
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (548)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

I just came back from a vacation to southern California, and my children and I stayed in three different properties, the Magic Castle being our last one before heading to Las Vegas.

I had booked a room at the Hollywood Hills Hotel looking forward to a great view. When I was checking in I had the great honor of being checked in by the most gracious gentleman I had ever met. Z. was very upbeat and suggested I stay at the Magic Castle, and pointed out the benefits of staying "down the hill." The pool "up the hill" is not heated, all the snacks, breakfast, and parking are all "down the hill." I told Z. that the only reason why I booked up the hill was because of the view I was looking forward to. He told me that the room I was getting didn't have much of a view, but it was my choice if I wanted to go up or stay down the hill. The price was the same, so I decided to stay at the Magic Castle.

He was very, very professional and made me feel like the most important person to him. He really made me feel very welcome and at ease. My kids were able to get all the snacks they wanted, plus sodas and that was a big hit with them.

We stayed in room 213 and I was knocked off my feet to see what a bargain this place really is. It's got a humongous living room with a queen size sleeper sofa already made. It has a comfy king size bed, bathroom with regular amenities. It has a comfy full size kitchen with stove, fridge, microwave, pots, pans, glasses, plates, spoons, etc. etc. The dining room has a table with chairs where you can have a really nice meal.

The hotel is only one block from Hollywood Blvd. and the Walk of Fame, and I kid you not, my teenage kids opted NOT going to Universal Studios, but instead we went on a Hollywood/Beverly Hills tour the day we checked into the hotel, and the next day they spent the day on the Walk of Fame taking pics and buying souvenirs. I rested in the room and when they came back from walking, they took a nice dip in the pool. They loved it, loved it, loved it.

If I would've known about how great this place really is, I would've booked the room for all of the nights I spent in California.

I will definitely return.

Room Tip: Parking garage is a tight squeeze, but it's doable.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank Nereida
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

I stayed in the hotel for 2 nights. Although my stay is not long, I was impressed by the friendliness of the hotel staff right from the point I stepped in the hotel. All the staff are very friendly and you feel so welcomed when you came back to the hotel everyday. The room was clean and comfy. More important, they have a large variety of snacks and soft drinks which you don't have to bother finding a 7 eleven around to get stock up. The location is also convenient. The surrounding area is quiet but just a block around, you will be in Hollywood and to the metro for getting around.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Kero0329
Newcastle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

My husband and I stayed for four nights mid June. We totally agree with ALL the positive comments made. The Magic Castle was definitely the best Hotel we stayed in during our 3 week trip on the west coast. We were put in a back room when we arrived. Nick asked how we liked our room and I said I was disappointed that we didn't have a balcony room as I had booked months earlier. He offered to change our room the next day. We packed our things together in the morning and when we returned later that day everything had been moved into a balcony room!!! Nothing was too much trouble. You couldn't not feel happy at this hotel as EVERYONE wanders about with big smiles. I must also say the location is perfect and we felt relaxed and recharged to continue our travels after our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room overlooking the pool. Be aware there are quite a few stairs to negotiate if y...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jkennedy232@Gma... K
Beverwijk, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

I love this place. They call it the cinematographer's hotel, because they use(d) to stay here when they where working in LA for several months. This is one of the best places when in Hollywood, especially when you look at the price.

Rooms have fantastic size and it's quiet. Like I said in the title, this feels more like an apartment than a place to crash for the night.

Again: I love this place!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business