“The best hotel in LA”
Review of Magic Castle Hotel

Magic Castle Hotel
Ranked #2 of 354 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 29 April 2012

I stayed at The Magic Castle with 3 friends in a 1 bedroom suite which provided more than enough room for the four of us. The bedroom contained a huge very comfortable bed, and there was also a fold out sofa bed. This was a little uncomfortable for 2 adults, however the staff provided us with an extra roll-out bed for no extra charge.

The staff were definitely the highlight of our stay. Nothing at all was too much trouble for them. From the endless supply of free snacks (Yes you heard right - free snacks. Chips, chocolates, sodas etc) to the Popsicle out by the pool, we felt very spoiled and looked after. Free breakfast every day was something we hadn't expected but we took the opportunity to enjoy while sitting by the pool. There was a selection of cereals, toasts, condiments (Including Vegemite for us Aussie travelers) pastries, yoghurts, juices and coffees. The staff were also very helpful in organising tickets for theme parks, bookings for restaurants and recommendations for shopping and public transport.

A must do while staying at The Magic Castle is dinner and a magic show at their exclusive members only club. As there is a strict dress code they supply jackets and ties for the men. We had a fantastic night at the magic castle club and really enjoyed our drinks at the bar after the show. The bartenders were extremely attentive and friendly and made our experience there even better.

The location of The Magic castle is perfect. It's a 5 minute walk from Hollywood walk of fame/Kodak theatre, and close to the tour operators and public transport.

Overall i would recommend The Magic Castle to everyone, and if I'm ever in LA again i'll definitely be staying here again. A 10 out of 10 from me.

Room Tip: Our room was on the ground floor just to the right of reception and we had no issues whatsoever with...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Rachybaby24
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 27 April 2012

If you're a family, I would recommend this hotel. I think it's very hard to select where to stay in LA. Hollywood is way over-rated but if you want to stay there you can't get any closer than here. Keep in mind this is renovated apartments into a hotel so don't expect a four star hotel. But if you understand that's what you're getting then you'll like it. Kids, especially, will like the free snacks. I wasn't sure about this claim but anytime you want, go to the desk and order sodas, snacks and candy of your choice and there were like 40 selections! Teenagers will like too. It was nice to have a separate room for adults and a pull out sofa for kids. Kitchen nice for families who can't afford to eat out all the time. Overall, affordable for LA area in a key tourist spot.
Most importantly, this place understands customer service and this is the best story of the review. We only stayed one night but upon check in mentioned we were attending the LA Dodgers game that night. A few hours later my daughter went down to get a soda and they gave her a prepared bag with Peanuts and Cracker Jacks and a card telling us to enjoy the game. How cool is that?

1  Thank warnr00
Reviewed 25 April 2012

This place is perfect for us, myself and 2 children 10 and 14. We had a 2 room suite which was huge, modern, clean, full kitchen, balcony overlooking the pool. So much better than a typical hotel room for several days. The staff is as advertised, friendly, attentive, helpful, and especially nice to the children. They came out with popsicles while sitting by the pool.They let us take towels to the beach, fresh cucumber water always in the lobby. How nice is that. As for the location for what we wanted to do it was perfect. The only locational drawback is that it is on a busy street and while we were not facing the street we were 1 room back on the side and road noise can be bothersome. They should install better windows which would curtail the problem. We had a great vacation. Thank you.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony facing the pool away from the street.
Reviewed 25 April 2012

My family and I stayed 2 nights in a one bedroom suite where we had a dining area, living area, kitchen and bedroom. Absolutely enough space for a family of 4. The staff were very jovial and enquired about our stay, giving us recommendations on where to eat and which tours are best to follow. Hotel location is great as it is a very short walk to the Walk of Fame, Kodak Theater and Grauman's Chinese Theater. You can even buy groceries from a supermarket nearby or CVS. The free snacks is really an awesome touch of service especially to those who have young kids but really it's just great for both kids and adults! Plus they also have a DVD collection that you can look at and borrow to watch in your room. Breakfast was a simple array of pastries, cereals, yoghurts, coffee, tea, oats, hot chocolate and juices that can either be enjoyed by the poolside or in your room. They were gracious in letting us have late check-out (1.30pm) as that was the time that we scheduled our taxi to come pick us to the airport. All in all, this hotel is located in a great location and they have an excellent team of staff running the place.

2  Thank Natasha T
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Ok, there is NO place like home, but if you want to forgo the 'hustle and bustle' of getting in and out of the large chain hotels, the expensive parking rates, the 'nickel/diming',,and just want to feel welcomed and 'at home'..etc etc..then the Magic Castle is for you!

I've never stayed there before, but have been to dinner/show at their Castle. On the outside, the hotel doesnt seem impressive, but rather 70's apartment like. It's a small building with just a nice lobby...but once inside, it feels like you've arrived at your own small apartment complex (I guess if you ever lived in one) complete with an inviting "24hr' heated pool and a great staff who will act as your personal 'concierge'.

The staff is very professional, courteous and accommodating. You arrive and they make you feel like a valued client and not just another body occupying a 'room'. The rooms are very large and if you reserved any of the one bedroom suites, you are in for a surprise. Comfortable, 'homelike', and everything you need to relax, including all the free snacks you can munch down. Soft drinks also...and all the rooms have kitchenettes.

Upon arrival and throughout our stay, free popsicles and a lemonade spritzer served in a champagne flute was just awesome.

The location is great...I had to go all over LA with my 11yr old daughter and leaving and coming back was easy. I liked that we had acces to anywhere in all directions, whether by freeway or by any major street.

I've read some of the negative reviews and feel that some people are just spoiled. Every hotel will have some flaws. I've stayed at brand new hotels with bed bugs and bad service at $400 a night. Indeed, Magic Castle is an older hotel, so don't expect flawless rooms. The place is well cared for and the service is wonderful,,better than ANY large hotel I've ever stayed at and I travel frequently. Some of the rooms have been recently upgraded and some are due, but I didnt see any trashy looking rooms while I was there. Again, older hotel,,so you are gonna see scrapes and scratches here and there. The most comfortable mattresses also! We even had friends come to visit us there and they were impressed. They felt it was more like a 'vacation rental' than a hotel.

My daughter loved it here! she loved the rent free DVDs, the snacks, the nice staff and said she wants to come back again. That's all that matters to me now. So we'll be back!

I left my camera in the room and they found it and shipped it back to me. It didnt 'disappear'..now that was the 'icing on the cake'. As soon as I get it, I'll post the pictures of the room we stayed in. Thanks, Magic Castle.

Room Tip: I stayed on the first floor but asked to move to the 2nd floor due to noisy people above me. Because...
1  Thank COPWITHKIDS