“Not just another pretty face”

SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills
Ranked #24 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 28 February 2012

This is a gorgeous property with service to match! I enjoyed a birthday visit to SLS last week and I was bowled over by the stunning decor, luxurious touches, and sincere professionalism of the staff. Definitely splurge-worthy!!

Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank ShiraP
SLSBHManager, Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2012

Happy Belated Birthday! So pleased to hear how wonderful your celebration was here at SLS! We look forward to having you back in the near future!! Until next time...Sparkle Like Sunshine!!

Reviewed 28 February 2012

5 star service, pool, restaurants,.... Everything! Treated like you should at a 5 star. Close to sunset, stayed there for the music fest. Would recommend to anyone who has the $ to do it.

Room Tip: Check out the pool- best place to spend a hungover day, great service and food.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends

Thank you so much for your comments! Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Until next time...Savor Life Slowly!!!

Reviewed 26 February 2012

There is a lot to love about this hotel and perhaps equally as much to hate. There is a cool factor baked into much of what they are doing. But it almost always goes to the point if cool for cool sake but not at all functional, practical or comfortable.

I staid in a Studio suite. There was plenty of room but the room was dark and only had a smallish window. It looked very little like the bright, sunny and spacious room that was shown on their website. I definitely felt like I got a bait-and-switch. The room was extremely quiet though. The window was grimy and wasn't floor to ceiling as the website picture showed.

The room is loaded with dark mirrors which gives you a sense that someone is always watching you through two way glass. I found it very unnerving. And there isn't a single place in the hotel to actually see yourself clearly. It is a but maddening and I'm not even female!

I get te definite sense that the interior designer had absolutely no consideration for function or comfort when designing the SLS.

A word of caution about the Internet. The SLS is the only hotel that I have ever staid at that charges BY DEVICE attached and not per room. I chened out and had three charge per night for Internet because I had connected my phone, iPad an computer. It is inexcusable tha Starwood allows this sort of policy at one of their hotels. Are they stuck in the 90's??!

Also their app tells you that if you Like the SLS on Facebook that they will give you one day if free Internet access. Beware, they don't have a process in place for this and they I'd not comp mine.

Overall I would not stay here again. It isn't as plastic as The W but it just lacks in way too many areas.

• Stayed: February 2012
5  Thank BobbyG_ATX

Thank you so much for your recent visit to SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills. I’m sorry to learn we fell short of your expectations throughout your stay. I am pleased to inform you that we are in the process of installing a new lighting program to all 297 guestrooms which should be complete in the coming months. In addition, your comments regarding the mirrors are greatly appreciated, as we most definitely take into account our guests feedback in hopes of improving and serving all of our guests requests. I am disappointed to learn of your inconvenience with the internet. I can assure you we are looking into this as to ensure it does not happen with future guests. Your overall commentary is greatly appreciated, and I do hope, whether it may be business or pleasure, that you will consider coming back to SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills. Should you wish to discuss your recent stay with us further, please do not hesitate to reach out to us at SLSBeverlyHills@slshotels.com. Thank you again.

Reviewed 22 February 2012

I want to love this hotel – it’s located in Beverly Hills, there’s great attention to design, there are beautiful people walking around and the staff is gracious and friendly. But I do not love it because although the design is theatrical and memorable, its whimsy takes precedence over functionality. I’m a platinum SPG and was upgraded to a 2nd floor room with a balcony (I believe balconies are only available on the second floor rooms) and my room was comfortable and interesting. The lighting in the room is fabulous for ambiance with so many lights to choose from and all with dimmer functionality (although never bright), but try getting ready and evaluating how you look in smoked glass and low light. The furniture is awesome and I loved the bed positioned in the middle of the room with the desk behind it, but how do you plug in your iPad or phone so that you can use it bed? I had to drape the cord over the back of the bed into the side of the desk and then it was too short to keep my iPad charged in bed. The desk chair is comfortable if you don’t have ambition to move around or lean back – it doesn’t move without picking it up and carrying the chair to its new position. The closet doors are attractive, but the closet lacks a luggage rack to set your suitcase on within the closet and be aware when you open the liquor cabinet next to the closet – the hinged door will slam down on you without warning. The ironing board has a lovely birdcage image on its cover, however try ironing a shirt on it – it’s the dorm-sized version you never used in college and works even worse in this room because the only place to set it on is the desk and then the board slides all over. Would it have been too much to provide a standard ironing board? With all of this complaining you’d think I have issues with the bathroom as others have pointed out. I don’t. I actually liked the stone and mirrors in the bathroom and thought the shower was very nice. I especially appreciated all of the shelves near the sink to set toiletries. As for the pool, I like when designers take risks, but the Alice in Wonderland meets urban garage sale didn’t so much as create an oasis as it made me feel like I was intruding on an outdoor mirror and frame sale. I still don’t know what the purpose was for the pool with 6” of water that monopolized half the deck space. I found the pool service to be exceptional (I believe her name was Stephani) but the food was bland and the pool area overall is quite congested and unattractive. The gym was great, but the ceiling is pretty low in the weight machine area and like the rest of the property felt a little cavernous. I’m not, not recommending this hotel – really the entire staff was wonderful from Valet to Concierge to front desk to pool and I really did enjoy the frivolity of the aesthetics. I even liked lounging in the room and sitting out on my patio. I just don’t think I’d choose it again when there are other options in Beverly Hills/Century City/WeHo that could provide a little more functionality in the room and comfort at the pool with or without the whimsy.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank patrickstpaul
SLSBHManager, Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Thank you so much for your recent comments regarding your visit to SLS Hotel! I'm so pleased to hear you enjoyed your overall stay. I'm also pleased to share that we are installing a new lighting program in all of our 297 guestrooms, which will better provide ample lighting to our guests. In addition, your feedback regarding our ironing boards is helpful, please do note that we have full sized ironing boards available upon request. As a Luxury Collection hotel your requests and commentary are taken very seriously, and we hope to have improved some of the functionality concerns you had this past stay on your next visit. Until next time...Sparkle Like Sunshine!

Reviewed 20 February 2012

What a beautiful hotel! i didn't actually stay in the hotel (but the rooms are fantastic and I will absolutely put visiting clients into this hotel). A number of my colleagues and I now use this as a place to meet convivially with colleagues or out of town friends and business associates. The staff could not possibly have been nicer. There are numerous areas to meet - one with cozy couches and fireplaces, another in a high tech section, another with private cushy comfortable chairs and couches - and everywhere electric outlets to plug in ones computers. There are both wonderful tasty snacks and divine food. And the food service director is this amazing woman, French i believe, who could even talk to us about wines and history and Europe. A delight! It's in Beverly Hills yet a few blocks away from the mad traffic. A veritable friendly elegant oasis in the midst of a busy city. Love it!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
SLSBHManager, Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2012

Thank you for your wonderful comments! We look forward to seeing you and your colleagues, friends and family on a regular basis!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
Downtown
The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles
The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles
#13 of 355 in Los Angeles

Been to SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK