“By Far the Best in Venice, if not LA Altogether”
Review of Hotel Erwin

Hotel Erwin
Ranked #10 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York, NY
“By Far the Best in Venice, if not LA Altogether”
Reviewed 18 September 2012

From the moment I booked my reservation on the phone to the time we left, we were treated like VIP's by some of the kindest staff I have ever dealt with in an American hotel. Kind and courteous isn't enough to describe each staff member. When you stay at a "hip" or "trendy" hotel you almost expect to be given the cold shoulder; it's the exact opposite here.

In addition to the staff going above and beyond, the hotel is awesome. The roof deck is incredible and the pictures do not do it justice. The food in Barlo is really good and fairly priced. If you want Venice, look no further because it's the number one location in all of Venice-literally the center of all things Venice.

I will absolutely stay here again and highly recommend it to anyone. The target market is the hipster, younger crowd but it's not overly rowdy and everyone is welcome, from what I saw. I will go out of my way to stay here the next time I'm in Los Angeles even if I'm doing business in another section of town. It's really that good.

Room Tip: The Sunset rooms located on the northside of the building have an awesome view.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank jimmyzusa
scastady, Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this review, 3 October 2012
Dear jimmyzuse,

Sounds like you got the Erwin experience first hand. I will make sure to pass along your comments to the team as I know they will be thrilled to hear it. Thank you so much for writing your review and we can’t wait to see you back at Erwin.

Warm Regards,
Sean Castady
Rooms Division Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Polish first
Ohio
Reviewed 18 September 2012

My husband and I recently visited Hotel Erwin for our 6th anniversary, and we had an amazing time. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting LA, not just Venice Beach. The hotel staff was awesome, and Lisette (Reservation Agent) went above and beyond expectations to make sure we had a wonderful time. She was very knowledgeable of the area and helped us to make reservations with Marina Del Rey Parasailing. She also helped us find a rent-a-car company so that we could go sightseeing throughout the city (downtown LA, Hollywood, Beverly Hills, etc...). She recommended good restaurants, and was all around a Godsend! To make it even better, we told her it was our anniversary when we made our reservations, and when we checked in we were given an Anniversary gift, which was very thoughtful.

The rooms are spacious and clean, and the housekeeping staff was awesome. The view of the beach was amazing from the balcony, and the rooftop lounge was gorgeous and had great drinks. The location of the hotel is ideal, because we were right in the middle of Santa Monica and Marina Del Rey, which was very convenient when we wanted to parasail and go bike riding along the beach.

The only con I have is that the restaurants do not stay open all day. This is very inconvenient during the lunch hours, but there are enough restaurants in the area to hold you over until dinner time.

Overtime, I give Hotel Erwin 5 stars, and I will definitely recommend the hotel to my family and friends in the future.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
scastady, Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this review, 3 October 2012
Dear 616RHitch

Happy Anniversary!!! So glad you choose us for your special moment. We would love to have you back for #7. Thanks!

Warm Regards,
Sean Castady
Rooms Division Manager
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Let me start by saying this is the third Joie de Vivre hotel my family has stayed at and we love them all (Hotel del Sol - San Francisco, CA / The Saguaro - Palm Springs, CA / Hotel Erwin - Venice Beach, CA)
Our latest stay at the Hotel Erwin in Venice Beach was awesome. I planned a surprise birthday weekend for my wife down in Venice Beach. The stay was amazing!!! From the time we pulled in to the hotel our Valet (Paul) greeted us with a wonderful smile and made it a point to welcome us to the Hotel Erwin. Good start to the trip!
From our previous stays at the Joie de Vivre establishments, we had a feeling we would have a great stay. But, this was even better!!! At the front desk we were greeted by Ryan, Leah, Ed and Kevin. All introduced themselves and made sure we had everything we needed. Very approachable!!! High points for that!!! I've been to numerous hotels and the front desk staff made it seem like they were doing me a favor. Not here at the Hotel Erwin. Thank you Ryan, Leah, Ed and Kevin. Also, Ryan followed up with a phone call to our room to make sure we were comfortable and to let him know if we needed anything else. Nice touch!
In the early evening, we called the front desk for another bar of soap. Carlos "immediately" ran it up it up to our room. Not having to wait (like I have in many hotels), showed great customer care and service.
The room was clean and the view was incredible. Not surprising since this is a Joie de Vivre establishment.
I wasn't planning on writing a review and really never have. But, the last morning we had breakfast downstairs at Barlo and after that I said I had to write a review.
Barlo - great Bloody Mary and the pancakes are to die for!!! The meal was made all the better from our wonderful and attentive server Courtney. Thanks Courtney for ending our stay at the Hotel Erwin on a wonderful note.
Listen everyone....... I'm just a regular guy that reads reviews but never writes them. If, you're planning on staying anywhere in the area...... STAY HERE at the HOTEL ERWIN.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marvin L
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Stayed at the hotel for a weekend getaway. Was everything we expected and more! The restaurant had a great breakfast menu that was reasonably priced. The hotel was also at a great location just steps away from the beach and Venice Boardwalk. Our room overlooked the beach and our balcony was the perfect place to sit and watch the sunset. Room was spacious and clean. The staff was amazing, great at giving directions and suggestions, and also very accommodating and quick when given requests. We spent two of our evenings at the High bar; the rooftop cocktail lounge atop the hotel. We would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in Venice!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Brights Grove
Reviewed 16 September 2012

I was travelling with 2 teenaged girls and we had a fabulous experience at Hotel Erwin. The front dest staff was friendly and helpful as were the restaurant/bar staff. They went out of their way to make our stay safe and enjoyable. The room was clean and great; and the toilet/shower and sink area were separated which was very handy. The location was superb ... practically on the boardwalk/beach and near the police station. We walked everywhere! Venice Beach is a very colourful place and it had many highlights including the exciting boardwalk for people watching, shopping, and eating, street performers, murals, and, of course, the beautiful beach which is why we were there. The bikepath looked amazing; although, we did not rent bikes (however, they were readily available). The rooftop bar was the ideal place to watch the spectacular sunsets and stay warm. We did not venture far from the hotel after dark because I was unsure of how safe it would be ... we had planned for that before we arrived, so this was not a negative. The parking was the most expensive we paid while we were in California, but I appreciate that space is at a premium and I new our car would be safe. Overall ... it was a fabulous hotel with fabulous staff and a fabulous location! We will be back!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Venice On The Beach Hotel
Venice On The Beach Hotel
#51 of 351 in Los Angeles
Hilton Garden Inn Los Angeles Marina Del Rey

Been to Hotel Erwin? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK