“Remodeling complete!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Remodeling complete!”
Reviewed 18 July 2012

I always try and stay here when I am in LA for work. The remodeling has really updated the lobby and it is all complete. Plenty of restaurants in and around the hotel. Rooms are always quite and comfortable. I usually stay two to three nights when I go and the staff is always friendly and pleasant.

Room Tip: I like to ask for a view of the mountain side
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (489)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Hotel is quite big. Nice check in service and someone phoned to check everything was okay once we got to our room. Room was cleaned and well maintained if a little small.
We were here on holiday and didn't find much to do locally which was a concern. Soon found the metro close by and were able to venture out for $1.50 each. Easy to get places but we would guess this is more a business place than tourists. Consierge told us where our tour would be picking us up which was incorrect and we ended up missing it. When we tried to sort it the lady seemed less than bothered.
We ate in the hotel most nights (as nothing particularly local) but found ourselves eating the same thing every day.
Hotel was nice, clean, modern etc but would recommend for business people not tourists.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 16 July 2012

This Westin has been recently renovated--nice! Rooms are small, because they are pie-shaped resulting from the five cylindrical towers that make up this property. The property is massive, making it somewhat impersonal. The vast majority of the staff was distant. A night club, Suede, is literally at the front entrance of the hotel. It gets VERY loud and I witnessed first-hand several intoxicated patrons exiting the club and entering the vast lobby. The BEST aspect of this hotel is the food. Buffets aren't generally my favorite, but this was the BEST buffet breakfast I've had in a hotel--ever. Daringly, I decided to try the lunch buffet. It, too, was excellent. Making the buffets even better was a food and beverage manager, Soraya N., who was very sweet and accommodating. Working VERY hard, and possessing the BEST personality of any employee I encountered was restaurant worker Moises. He is young, but has a great work ethic, is outgoing, and has a pleasant personality. Hopefully someone from the hotel will help mentor him for a future in the industry. On a sad note, ALL food outlets close in this hotel by 10:30, except for a brewery with limited food until 12. This is far too early in a hotel this large and in this location, with nothing close-by to walk to later in the evening. I mentioned to the above Soraya that perhaps room service could be ordered in the sprawling lobby bar area and at least eaten there, as opposed to being eaten in one's small pie-shaped room!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Oakland, California
Reviewed 14 July 2012

I arrived at midnight and was told my room wasn't ready. What? How can it not be ready when check-in time is 4 and I had a reservation in advance? I wasn't alone: at least a dozen others were waiting, some with young kids. I was told the wait would be about 30 mins. It was 1-1/2 hours. At 1:30 a.m. I was finally given a room. (They gave me breakfast to compensate.)

Stepping into the shower at that hour, I saw that the maid service had forgotten to leave shampoo. I called and requested it when I got out of the shower, but had to call again the next morning before it was delivered.

On the plus side: the architecture is interesting, and the hotel itself is like a small city. Monica at the front desk was nice, given the bad cards she had to play with. But I'd still never stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Ikura
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Yes i know i booked the hotel via hotwire on a special rate but does that mean i am a second rate customer in this oh-so-historical four star hotel?

I called in 5 (yes that is FIVE) times to the hotel. The first time, customer service by the name of Maria put me on hold which took forever, so long that the song line went flat (no song anymore, am I still on hold???). Second time, she sounded annoyed and suddenly the line got cut off (REALLY?). The third and fourth time, nobody picked up my call, I had to call using a different number to get another person on the line, a Melanie or something.

This person informed me that my name is in their booking list but there is no way to know what room type nor bed type I will be getting during my upcoming stay. I just have to come on the date of the check in and see what's available on that day. And by the way, she said it in the most condescending nonchalant tone too.

REALLY? REALLY REALLY? Fantastic.

Makes me really think if this is a 4 star Starwood Hotel with such customer service. Seriously i hope the hotel is much more pleasant than the people who were handling my calls. This is just bad customer service.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends