“Very luxurierst Hotel in downtown of LA” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza

Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza
Ranked #7 of 347 Hotels in Los Angeles
Liestal, Switzerland
“Very luxurierst Hotel in downtown of LA”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

I was there alone for 5 days. The Location is very Bad. But the Hotel is very Good and clean. I wont suggest people to Rest in downtown LA. It's a scarry area. Be careful.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank aida_b1
OmniMgrLosAngeles, Executive Office at Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. Please rest assured that the hotel is safe for our guests, and we do have security here on property on a 24-hour schedule. We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back soon.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Wakefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

We had a lovely stay here in september 2010. We thought it was really nice and it's very close to the 'underground' station so travelling around LA was really easy. We went to Hollywood, Univesal Studio's and Long Beach on the underground and we felt safe though some of the charaters there were quite unusual.
The hotel is suited to business types but we did enjioy it. There is a nice bar behind the hotel whcih serve the BEST nachos we've had EVER had and is full people having after work drinks who loved the fact we had English accents and were very friendly.

Room Tip: I think they will all be very nice!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

Beautifully newly renovated hotel. A great home away from home in downtown Los Angeles. The king bed was so comfortable and the furnishings were beautiful. The hotel restaurant is great too!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Candiland-Love
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

I have been travelling to Los Angeles for about 35 years. In the past, any level-headed visitor would avoid downtown Los Angeles at any cost. With the building of LA Live! this has changed. Downtown LA has come to life, with people on the street after dark, interesting restaurants, well-preserved architecture and the very convenient subway.

The Omni is smack in the middle of all that is interesting in downtown LA...it is definitely the best value for money available anywhere in the greater LA area. The hotel is beautifully fitted, the staff and service excellent and the room comfortable.

The only issue is the cost of valet parking at the hotel...as high as $40 per day during the week...but this is not unusual in LA...for those staying on the weekend, parking is permitted on the street...and is free.

The hotel is very, very highly recommended...would not stay anywhere else in LA.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank mrbear
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

I'll explain the unusual review title in a short while.

This is indeed a superb downtown LA hotel and one which I can wholeheartedly recommend.

When I arrived at the hotel, although the one person on duty was taking part in a conversation between another guest and the concierge, she immediately acknowledged my presence and withdrew from the other interaction as quickly as she could. Can't ask for more than that.

Check-in was smooth and very personable. I was staying on loyalty points from the UK's Avios scheme and having heard that some hotels treated similar guests as second-class citizens, I didn't know what to expect. I couldn't have been more delighted, as not only did that not seem to make one jot of difference, I was even offered a better type of bed.

My room was on the 15th floor too, which is a high floor and although it was next to the elevators, you couldn't hear one squeak from those. Excellent! The room and bathroom were both large. My first memory on entering the room was the bed. Has to be highest bed I've ever seen. You almost needed a step to climb up onto it. And it was very comfortable. The temperatures in LA in February fluctuate from mid 20s C to around 5c. The air con/heating coped well with this. The in-room Internet was fast and reliable. There is also a small "business centre" off the foyer, in which you can print off boarding passes free of charge.

The bathroom was well lit with a good supply of quality towels and bath products. There was lots of storage space too beneath and around the sink. I've not been able to give this hotel five stars for two reasons - and here's the first reason. On two of the four mornings, the hot water was only luke warm when I came to shower. Now this surprised me in a hotel of this stature. I can only guess that, on these two occasions, I was showering at the same time as other guests, though I can't recall that being a problem at other hotels. On the other two days though, the water was piping hot and with a good water pressure.

The hotel is just a short one-block walk from the nearest Metro (underground) station. Head out of the main entrance, turn right and walk down the hill, turn left across the road at the first set of lights and a short way down that street on the right is the entrance to the Pershing Square station, down a long escalator. There is no need to walk another block down to Pershing Square itself.

I only ever ate at the cafe that is used for breakfast/lunch - each morning and for one lunch. I actually ordered off the breakfast menu, rather than opting for the buffet. The food was well prepared and tasty and not too expensive for a hotel of this calibre. The steak I had for lunch was also excellent and very good value for money. And now to the other reason for not awarding a fifth star. On two of the mornings, although I was promptly seated for breakfast, it was about 10 minutes before my order was taken. For some reason, on those two mornings, having sat down, I became invisible. The restaurant was never busy and my own observations suggest that the team on those two days weren't as coordinated as the others.

I twice ordered an evening meal from room service. I had only intended to do this the first night of my stay, but as it was so good, I had no qualms about ordering again from the wide-ranging menu. The food arrived well within the promised time, was served piping hot by a very personable employee, and looked and tasted excellent too.

And now to the title of this review. Everyday, the housekeeping team would ensure that you were left with a full set of hotel-provided bath products. I had brought my own tube of toothpaste - one of those trial/travel size tubes. It was running out and I had a spare tube in my case. So I was surprised and delighted to see that, on returning to my room on the last-but-one day, a new travel-sized tube of toothpaste (still in its carton) had been left in the bathroom. Not only that, it was the same brand as I'd brought with me! I'm sure the brand-match was a coincidence, but what a lovely touch!

Check out was quick and - for some reason which I can't explain - the receptionist removed the Internet charges from my bill. I hadn't asked for this, nor expected it. I had mentioned that my return to the UK was being delayed by a day due to the snow back in London, so I was relocating to another hotel in Hollywood, so maybe this was a gesture of goodwill from the hotel to make up for that inconvenience - thought that wasn't their fault. Who knows, but again, another great piece of memorable customer service.

The last time I stayed in LA it was at the Westin Bonaventure. Next time, it will be the Omni.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank BritTraveller68
OmniMgrLosAngeles, Executive Office at Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to write such a thorough review. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your overall visit with us in Los Angeles. Your comments will be shared with our staff, and we are addressing the two issues you experienced during your stay. We hope you had safe travels home, and that we will have the privilege of welcoming you back soon in the future.