New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hollywood Hotel

Ranked #45 of 347 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
cheshire
“good hotel, good location and friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

This is our second trip to the Hollywood Hotel, it was a very pleasant stay and good value for money , great location and convenient for LA.

The rooms are functional and clean, but look at the comparisons sites for the the best value.

Worthy of a mention was the very pleasant receptionist Gisel, who could not be more helpful and charming, a credit to the hotel. If there was an award for employee of the month she should get it.

Hope this helps future travellers to this hotel

Room Tip: gisel will help as much as she can
5 Thank chrismcgmcg
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

The Hollywood Hotel is nothing like the pictures they have posted on Priceline or their own website. The only thing that looked the same was the fountain, but that was a disappointment because you can't even see the fountain from the front. The fountain is actually located in the back of the hotel, in the parking lot.

I booked the hotel for a total of four people. When I checked in, I was told they were going to charge me $30 for the extra two people because when I booked the room through Priceline, I supposedly only reserved the room for 2. The man checking me in told me that it was okay that I had four people but then only two of us would be able to have breakfast the next morning.

So anyway since the breakfast was already included in the room price, two out of the four of us went downstairs for breakfast the next day. A lot of people who have reviewed this hotel gave great reviews about their breakfast, but truthfully, it wasn't all that. BEWARE OF THE OMELETTE LINE! They have one person who makes one omelette at a time. We ended up waiting 20 minutes for one omelette.

As for the room, it was picture perfect, up until I really tried to get comfortable. The bed was hard, had me tossing and turning all night. The sheets were white and made the room look clean but once I got onto the bed, I noticed there were strands of black curly hair all over and surely they weren't ours as we do not have curly hair. The room was very hot during the night time. The air vent/fan did not circulate enough air at all. We couldn't even leave the sliding door open because of the "shared balcony" and the fact that there wasn't even a screen to the sliding door.

The hotel provided shampoo, conditioner, hand soap, and even a shower cap. The bathroom was okay, until I got into the shower. The tub is set up high so it felt like I was going to hit the ceiling while showering.

4 Thank j3an7
hollywoodhotel, General Manager at Hollywood Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Dear j3an7,

We are delighted you chose Hollywood Hotel during your visit to Hollywood and the Los Angeles area! We know you have many hotels to choose from and we appreciate your business.

The pictures on Priceline and on our website are actual real pictures taken with ordinary cameras and without any special lenses. I actually took a few of them myself with my own iPhone. The pictures have not been doctored in any way. There are also many pictures posted here on Tripadvisor taken by guests such as yourself. We have 3 fountains in the hotel and the technicolor fountain with our Hollywood Hotel signage is our most popular and many guests take pictures posing with it daily. It's a novelty picture. Yes, it is located at our rear entrance, which is the entrance guests use most when parking in our lot.

We do have a 4th fountain on the drawing board for the front of the hotel, so check back with us in a year or two and your wish might just be fulfilled.

You booked your reservation for only 2 guests and we do charge an additional fee for extra guests in the room. I wonder.... if you flew in from Sacramento to Los Angeles ... did you reserve 4 seats or only 2 seats as well?

Yes, we do have a great complimentary hot buffet breakfast which includes cooked to order omelets with fresh added ingredients such as green peppers, bacon bits, onions, tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms, jalapenos peppers, shredded cheese and more. We also have egg white only omelets. The omelets are very good and hence very popular and there can be a line at the omelet station during the breakfast rush hour between 8:30am-10am. If you are in a little hurry and need your omelets, come down to the restaurant before 8:30am as the restaurant opens at 6:30am. Yes, there is 1 cook however there are 2 burners and they make them pretty quick.

I'm glad you liked your room and i'm sorry you felt the bed was hard. We have Sealy Posturepedic Plush beds which are considered one of the best beds in the industry. We have have removable pillow tops on each beds as well to make them extra soft. I'm sorry about the strand of hair. Our snow white sheets and duvets are cleaned daily by our in house laundry crew.

Dear Tripadvisor Readers,

Our hotel is the only hotel in Hollywood which offers complimentary cooked to order omelets with fresh added ingredients.... and just like any great blockbuster Hollywood Movie, the wait can be a few minutes to have it at peak times. Think about it.... If they weren't so delicious, no one would wait for them. Just some food for thought....just don't let it give you mental indigestion!

Also... be smart and take the high road. If you are 4 guests, please reserve for 4 guests on your reservation. It's less expensive to reserve for the correct amount of guests when making your reservation and a faster check in process than adding guests ala carte at check in.

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at jeff@hollywoodhotel.net

Vaya con Dios,

Jeff Zarrinnam
Hotel Director
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

A really nice hotel in Hollywood. It is on a busy road, might be a little bit loud if you have a room looking to the street, but not sure about that as I got a room looking to the garden.
The breakfast is good, you have pancakes, sausages, OJ, cereals, egg etc. Also some flat TVs on the wall to watch while eating.
The room is big enough, the bed is perfect, the cleanliness is OK. New towels every day.

They also have a private parking area, but they charge $15 for a night which is a lot of many just for parking...

All in all, it is worth the money, I would recommend it :)

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
6 Thank Attis1
San Diego, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

The hotel stay itself was okay it's what happened after we left that was truly awful. My boyfriend and I were in Hollywood to see my favorite band play and I purchased a record at the show. The record somehow slipped behind the desk in our room while we were packing and we accidently left it behind. I called the hotel as soon as I realized it was missing and was told to call back -- after two days of calls I was notified that housekeeping had thrown it away!!! I'm completely devestated. I realize that housekeeping can't hold on to every little thing that gets left behind but who throws away a wrapped, obviously new LP record?

2 Thank Sarah H
hollywoodhotel, General Manager at Hollywood Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2012
Dear Sarah H,

We are delighted you were visiting Hollywood to see your favorite band play wrote a review on Tripadvisor about our hotel!

Please share with us who this band is so we all can look out for them the next time they are in town. I'm surprised they were selling the old formatted 18"x18" LP vinyl records. Wow! It's been almost 20 years since I've heard anyone say "LP Record". Do you have an old record player too? FYI - LP stands for "Long Play" for our younger readers.

It's a shame you misplaced your LP Record behind the desk in your guest room. Actually, I do not understand how that is even possible in our hotel, since all of the desks in our guest rooms have NO backing for anything to hide behind! We specifically designed our desks this way to prevent this kind is mishap from happening. One can clearly see the under the desk and to the wall the desk is pushed up against without any hindrance.

You also stated you called the hotel regarding your lost LP record. We have no log of anyone calling for a lost LP Record either and I asked everyone at the front desk and in housekeeping regarding your lost LP record. No one received such a call and believe me they would have remembered this one! Furthermore, if one of our housekeepers had found a brand new, wrapped LP record they certainly would not have thrown it away! The housekeeper would have would have recorded the room # and the date the LP Record was found and would have placed it in our lost and found department.

I'm sorry, we have no record of your record and I believe you wrote your review for the wrong hotel. You probably stayed in another Hotel in Hollywood with a similar name to ours, which obviously does not care about lost or misplaced guest items like we do.

Dear Tripadvisor Readers,

Rest assured, we keep all lost or misplaced items for 90 days before we give them away to charity. We also have a lost and found program and log which keeps track of all items. If any guests inform us about their lost or misplaced items and email us their mailing address where to ship the item(s), we do so right away. Please report any lost or misplaced items by emailing info@hollywoodhotel.net or by completing a lost and found form on our website.

Vaya con Dios,

Jeff Zarrinnam
Hotel Director
Cockermouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

This was my second trip to LA but the first time I have actually stayed in the Hollywood area. The hotel was recommended by business colleagues. It was certainly good value and in a good location. The hotel was part of the Ramada group but now appears to be independently owned. Unfortunately, it still feels a little boring and corporate and is a bit worn round the edges - don't come here if you are looking for swanky luxury.

On the plus side the staff were very helpful and the price was particularly good given it's very central Hollywood location. The room was clean, the bed comfy and the bed-linen smelt and felt unbelievably luxurious.

The best thing about the Hollywood Hotel is it's location. It gave me the chance to explore Hollywood away from Sunset and Hollywood Boulevard. Having seen the touristy bits of Hollywood on my previous trip I wasn't particularly looking forward to a return visit. Even though I have heard this before (and not believed it), LA really is a surprising and delightful city if you can put your preconceptions to one side. Away from the tiny bit of Hollywood given over to tourism, the neighbourhood is delightful. Lots of really cool shops, restaurants and interesting streets to explore. I fell in love with the place and will happily return to Hotel Hollywood next trip to explore further.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business