“California Trip”

Inn at Playa Del Rey
Ranked #1 of 94 Los Angeles B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 April 2012

If you want a 'chain hotel' (hotel porter; gym, pool etc), this is certainly not the place for you. However if you are looking for a friendly run, in a great location (15 minutes from the airport; 5 minutes from the beach) with great personal touches, then book this place!
When we arrived, not only was the greeting friendly but the staff were also baking next morning's breakfast and the smell was fantastic, what a pleasant surprise. Needless to say the breakfast was top notch; also the room we booked was quiet and very relaxing (we booked a junior suite). We would certainly use this again .

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 11 April 2012

This is a very nice place when you visit Los Angeles. Safety and very friendly. W've been there many times and every visit is a good experience. Near the beach and beautiful rooms. You can take a bike of the Inn, it's great to bike near the beach or to Venice Beach. Very friendly people and all selfmade breakfast. In the afternoon there is a place to take wine and cheese. You will like home.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Anneke R
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Stayed here for the second time and as before it's fabulous. Great for checking in to after a long flight (so close to LAX) and perfect for a little down time away from everybody. Local amenities are simple but ideal and the local Italian Cantalini's is very tasty!

The rooms are cosy, the location quiet and secluded and the staff friendly. Breakfast is a simple affair too but does the job in style.

We'll be back! Perfect!

Room Tip: Get a marina view room!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 March 2012

When I researched staying here I came to the conclusion that it was the perfect place to spend the last night of our holiday in America. We needed one nights accomodation including breakfast and a later than normal checkout at 8pm. After contacting this Inn I was told that I would have to pay for two nights. Ok, fair enough. Well, from the moment my husband drove up the Inn we had a bad impression. In the driveway were hoardings leaning up against the wall in two places and the impression overall was scruffy. We drove in to the undercover car park and immediately in front of our park was an empty spa bath and a multitude of large cardboard boxes and rubbish. The carpark was dingy, dirty and scruffy. The gate did not close properly and was to be left open - we were later told that it if closed itself we had a key on the key ring to open it to let ourselves out. Therefore the car was not secure. My husband went in to reception, came back and said, come on it'll do. I wanted to run and find somewhere else to stay. We had prepaid this hotel and the cost was $604.00 American dollars. For one sleep, one breakfast and approximately 30 hours use of the bedroom and check out at 7.30pm the following night. I did not want to go inside. Well, from the moment I did get out the car until the lady had shown us to our room we were greeted by all sorts of scruffy areas. The lift was sandy and grubby, the lift opened onto an area where there was a floormat that looked like a dog had spent its entire life sleeping on. Following into reception which was a servery to the kitchen we were greeted by a lady that was cooking a cake and she was using her hands in the mixer bowl to scrape the bottom. I did not say anything to her - in fact I was speechless for the entire check period. At this stay I was very aware that I must have looked mortified - because I was. My thoughts were that I didnt care about the $604 I just didnt want to stay here. We were shown to our room up on the second floor - opposite our bedroom door were french windows that were covered in what look like milk or some other cloudy substance from outside but many of them were impossible to see out of. The door was opened and we went in. The bed was nice, we were left two cookies and a welcome card and then the lady told my husband some of the details etc. I had totally zoned out and felt like I was staring off into space waiting for an excuse to speak to my husband on his own and tell him that there was no way I would stay here. As soon as I had the opportunity I told him and he said that it was too much money to forfeit and that we should stay. I went to look in the bathroom, the door wouldnt close.When I used the toilet the following day I opened the window and the window winder was not attached, it was just appeared to be. I pushed the window open, went to the toilet and then flushed it. I then went to the hand basin to wash my hands and there was no water - at all -for more than five minutes and then with a hiss and roar it came back on. I went onto the balcony, the outdoor furniture was dirty and the paint on the chairs was seriously peeling off. You could see a grey metal under the paint The bird sanctuary was a flat area that looked like wasteland. The Marina View as so far away that we couldn't see the water or the marina but the tips of some masts in the distance were visible. If you had sat on the roof you may have had the Marina View as promised. The roof was small, the amenities were nil, no fridge, minimum bathroom items. The televison was very small and was in a cupboard behind doors. The doors would not stay open and one had to be held open by a opening a drawer of the desk which was a glass topped wicker desk. Under the glass were crumbs galore. I was in tears on more than one occasion. This was our first ever trip to America, for my 50th birthday and the last night was supposed to have been the best night. Of all the hotels / Inns / B&B's / Motels and various other lodgings that we have stayed in over the past 30 years - and there have been hundreds this was the worst ever. We could not make a cup tea in the room, we had to go to the dining room and make one there. The bar fridge was small and in a cupboard - the fridge door had no handle and when I opened there was various types of milk and on the bottom of the fridge a water powdery substance that looked like milk had been tipped over and left there to dry up. Yuck. The fully cooked breakfast menu was hand written on a white platter informing the guests that the breakfast for the following day was cinnamon french toast, banana bread, homemade muesli, fruit etc. Well that was not true. The french toast was a bread and butter pudding in a large dish for each guest to help them self to. The muesli was not as expected for homemade. The fruit was thinly sliced layered on a plate and had been picked through. I believe there is no need to have such an interesting looking building left to decay away like this one is doing. There were a couple of open doors to bedrooms right next to ours adverting others that you could hire I guess - they looked ok from glancing in as I went past. The hotel advertises itself as one of the best hotels in the world. I say garbage - you would get a far better hotel in a struggling country like Bali or any other country in the world and I suggest that firstly, dont do what I did. I looked at the pictures which make the place look ok, don't book directly with hotels unless you have been there before or know someone who has, don't believe everything you read because this can be very misleading...dont stay there unless you have no where else at all to stay...learn a lesson from other peoples experiences on hotels and be very, very careful. This lovely building probably was a fantastic place to stay in its day but it is not now, from my point of view. I could go on and on and on but I need to forget this place now. 1/10 for the bed only.

Room Tip: Don't go there unless you are desperate and cant get any other accomodation at all. It is terrib...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank SharleneR
Reviewed 17 March 2012

It is almost surreal how quaint and quiet this property is considering it's about a 5 minute drive from LAX. The rooms are adorable, the food tasty, the service good. The only constructive feedback I have to offer is that it's not clear where to go to check in. I was dropped outside by a cab and wasn't sure where to go. It all works out eventually, of course.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
The Kinney
#2 of 11 in Marina del Rey
The Ritz-Carlton, Marina del Rey
#4 of 11 in Marina del Rey

Been to Inn at Playa Del Rey? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK