“Taught me to love DTLA”

Downtown LA Walking Tours
Ranked #32 of 264 Tours in Los Angeles
More attraction details
Owner description: Providing daily guided walking tours of Downtown Los Angeles and its surrounding neighborhoods. We walk the City, step inside world-class monuments, tell stories, learn the history and experience the architecture of the City of Angels!
Reviewed 13 May 2017

As someone who has taken multiple trips to the states from Australia, I've kind of come to know Los Angelesas a kind of necessary evil - a place to fly into and out of the country through, to do some shopping, maybe go to the beach and get out to the rest of the country. It was probably my 6th visit to LA and I had never spent any time downtown. I'd heard the voices from other tourists and guidebooks saying to stay away, go to Santa Monica or the theme parks, or Beverly hills etc, there's nothing for you downtown.

Yesterday, I decided to take a tour and see for myself, and I was so glad I did, I feel like I finally understand LA for the first time. I took the old and new tour which focussed on the history and specifically the gentrification (and hipsterfication) of LA and how that's brought new life to the city. This is happening now, evidence of it everywhere! The run down vs the hipster newness bringing it back to life. People coming back into the city to live and play. I was thoroughly impressed.

It was a small tour group of 3, which suited me fine. Our guide, Nikki, was not a native to Los Angeles but she showed a passion and understanding of the city that made it very enjoyable. She was clearly very knowledgeable and a good tour guide. It was not a huge amount of walking for 2 hours, maybe a couple of kms.

Would absolutely recommend dtla walking tours, more than anything, for those who have held off dtla like I did to give it another go, but DTLA tours are a great way to be introduced to the city and get an understanding of it in a safe, informative, and entertaining way.

1  Thank Elebel82
in 5 reviews
"tour group"
"disney concert hall"
in 2 reviews
"would highly recommend this tour"
"beverly hills"
"neel"
in 64 reviews

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 May 2017 via mobile

I had such a great tour with Lauren! The tour was informational and very fun. It covered a lot of different areas but I never felt like the group was going too fast. Lauren took time out to answer everyone in the tours questions and make the tour more like a walking party than just an average tour. Thanks Lauren!

Reviewed 2 May 2017

The LA downtown walking tours are a great way to discover the history of Los Angeles. Depending on which tour you decide to take you will see everything from the first theaters in Los Angeles, when movies were only ten minutes long and everyone stood, to the LA Food market where you will discover spices and foods you never knew existed.
Fortunately many original historical buildings are intact although many of the most majestic were torn down for parking lots before the Los Angeles Historical society was able to stop them.
Downtown is the oldest section of Los Angeles and a walking tour is definitely something that should be on your list - especially for history or film buffs.

Reviewed 29 April 2017

I booked a tour with Neel and ended up being the only one on it. However unlike another tour group who canceled my reservation when I was the only one Neel actually took me out. He is a native to LA and actually lives downtown. It was a fantastic 2 hours spent exploring DTLA and since I was the only one he tailored it specifically to my interests. Really enjoyed learning more about the city and definitely walked away with a more holistic appreciation for LA. Highly recommended.

3  Thank White2tn