“Good Hotel for the money”

Valley Inn & Conference Center
Ranked #263 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Good Hotel for the money”
Reviewed 22 August 2011

Myself and my friends are on a road trip around California from England and this was the bargain of the trip. Ignore other bad reviews, for the money the rooms are big, a great location. Is only a $40 taxi to City Walk and ample parking. This hotel is not the savoy so don't expect the same level of hotel or cost. If you want a cheap hotel with a bed and a big pool then go for it.

I am not sure why people would feel unsafe in this area, we saw no examples of any "illegal" activity.

For the life of me I can't remember the name of it but the bar round the corner was awsome. It didn't sell food but you could purchase chinese from next door to eat it it. Was only $8 for a pitcher of beer.

I can't give a review for breakfast as I would rather sleep than get up but my friends said it was nothing special but gave them a good start for the day.

The indian guy that checked us in did not seem all there but it still only took us 10 mins with no fuss.

I stay in nice hotels with work so I see all ranges of hotels but for the $70 a night I can't fault it.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KennyDies
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Turkish first
El Dorado Hills, California
Reviewed 18 August 2011

This place is not only shady, its an outright dangerous false advertisement. When we pulled up, I thought, what the heck, its late and Im tired from a 5+ hour drive. My wife checked us in, I observed some party type activity in the rooms with patios and balconies that were opened up and were viewable from the parking lot. Its a Tuesday, not a Fri or Sat where this would seem normal. It seemed questionable. Once checked in, I looked at the map to our room and drove around the back to park closest to our room. Again, I noticed activity that was now beyond questionable, but quite clearly illegal. I went into our room, never even put my luggage down, looked at my wife and kids and said "No way are we staying here", The room was old, the locks on the doors were less than secure, which raises the immediate question as to "What goes on in this place"? Why have the locks obviously been replaced more than an upgrade, but a repair from being broken? This place was not safe, not secure for even your belongings, but down right dangerous. There is quite evidently illegal activities going on. We quickly got back into the car, and went back to the front where the gal at the front desk attempted to argue that this was a quiet and safe place, to which I calmly said, " You know more than I do what goes on here, and I dont think you want me to call the police and concern the people that stay here on a constant basis and disrupt the obvious illegal business that is going on here." Only after this, did she agree to refund our Credit Card. I would have left and taken it up with my Credit Card Co. before risking my families safety at this place. I even would have eaten the $100 for my life and and families was worth much more than staying at this place. My wife booked it based on the pictures from their website. Only after we got to another hotel, did I view the website and agree with my wife, the website is awesome, place looks nice, resort like. We paid $98 for our room, and got a room at the Marriott for $115.
I would expect something like this if the room was $60-70 a night, but for $90 plus tax, you expect a decent, safe environment. This place is truly truly the worst hotel I have ever experienced. You have been informed.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed 13 July 2011

This hotel's website is a complete facade - it is nothing like the pictures. Upon arrival, I looked for the tall, well groomed gentleman depicted at the front desk - and found a squat, none to pleasant Indian gentleman with less than perfect English at the front desk. After checking in, I went upstairs to the dingiest, dirtiest hallway I have ever seen ( beige carpet turned black, woodwork along the walls that was cracked and falling off the wall. The room door did not seal - I could see light all around it and a swift kick from outside would easily open it. The carpet was filthy with cigarette burns (mind you, this was a non-smoking room), the curtains had dry rot and the "sheers" had something black all over them (mold?). I went to open the curtains and the bolts holding the curtain rod into the popcorn ceiling came out of the ceiling - it was being held up by a prayer. I opened the sliding glass doors long enough to stop outside on the balcony, went back in, locked the glass doors, pulled to make sure the lock was in place and the entire window jam pulled away from the frame! Two chairs in the room were worn and had black arms from constant filthy arms resting on them. The walls had peeling paint and stains, as well as gouges in them. I went out to find some place for dinner and the neighborhood is horrible - tattoo parlor and low rent mexican restaurants around the corner. I felt very unsafe outside. Upon returning to the room, I shoved a chair against the door as it was apparent that anyone could gain access with a good kick. I suffered until 2:30 a.m. listening to the neighbors laugh and party. I finally had to call the front desk to complain. I promise you that this will be the worst hotel stay of your life - you will fill unsafe, repulsed by the surrounding dirt and spend a sleepless night listening to your neighbors through paper thin walls.

Room Tip: Save yourself a sleepless night and go to the Extended Stay in Northridge.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Funbaychic
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 12 July 2011

I would never ever stay at this hotel. It was in really bad shape, the curtains had stains, the bed was squeaking, the room door was jammed and wouldnt open without hitting hard on it. i had booked it through hotwire and they had reserved a single bed room for 4 adults. i had to call hotwire and ask them to send a fax to the hotel, so they would give me 2 bed room. The parking around and the area is shady too. Its nothing like in the photos. Watch OUT, stay away from this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank huntdealz
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 4 April 2011

It seems the place has been tidied up in 2010, so I cannot relate to many of the earlier reviews. This motel is a very good value compared to some other locations I have tried in the LA area. The garden is excellent, the rooms are huge, and obviously redecorated. I cannot say the furniture is in my style, but it was all OK. While I do believe there is a Metro bus service, this location, like most of LA, is really only suitable if you drive your own car.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business