“Great Wait Staff - Horrid Food”
Review of La Poubelle

Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central L.A
Reviewed 16 November 2016

It's that simple. Great wait staff. Horrid food.

Very accommodating and pleasant and plentiful wait staff. In fact we had about 6 waiters because there were 2 waiters in training shadowing our servers. We weren't quote sure how many servers we actually had. - Something like 6.

The food sad to say was really bad. It just didn't jell. And it wasn't very good. Or a piece or part of something was appealing and the rest of it wasn't. Things were unbalanced. Under proportioned - meaning not enough food on the plate by a long shot.

For example. the small plates - appetizers: clams. About 6 tiny formed clams stuffed into a dish like a mini egg poacher. No clam shells, just these topped off level to the indent in the dish with some kind of crumb topping and I guess clams underneath kinda thing. - For $15.00...? No. Just no.

Lamb lollipops. Precisely two very small lamb chops with a schmeer of something in the bowl with another unidentifiable schmeer streaked that looks like maybe the bowl didn't get washed from it's last use...? and a few ...leaves... something. - For $15.00....? No. Just no.

Tomato soup. Thick as pasta sauce. Tasted like pizza sauce. Not even hot, barely warm .. and paradoxically in a too big serving size bowl. For $11....? No. Just no.

Nothing hit the mark.

The atmosphere is nice. Cozy. Has a history as an old bistro in old LA... but... doors are open to the table on the street and the joint fills with cigarette smoke from the diners outside. No - Just no.

Reviewed 8 October 2016

We ate here when staying at a nearby hotel. We ate a sort of tapas style meal, having several different small dishes, each one really enjoyable. The staff are very friendly and welcoming. It appears to be popular with locals which us usually a good sign. I'd definitely recommend this little gem if you're staying in the area.

Reviewed 5 October 2016

Great little restaurant, serving french style cuisine, reasonable priced and excellent food. Lively in the evenings from 6pm onwards and definitely worth a visit if you are staying locally.

Reviewed 19 June 2016 via mobile

We was staying at a hotel nearby and decided to give this a try .

The experience from start to finish was terrible .

We had to wait 10 mins before anyone even acknowledged us and came to serve .

Our appetisers then came and we had been given no cutlery. It took an age to get someone to bring any and so the food had started to go cold .

My wife's main was ok but just that - she had the chicken . I had moules and my initial shock was that there was only 12 moules in the dish . As I worked through them some were cold and 3 were not even open and the sauce was very bitter . Could not get anyone's attention to complain .

When the food arrived I asked for another glass of wine and this never arrived .

When we finished a waiter eventually arrived and asked how it has been . When I told him it was not good he just would not believe me !!!!!

Reviewed 15 April 2016 via mobile

Ordered snails, followed by filet mignon for my main course. Both were gorgeous. Certainly didn't regret the hour long Uber ride to Hollywood after eating at La Poubelle. Delicious!