“Bare bones, not the most comfortable room”

Motel 6 Canoga Park
Ranked #251 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Sacramento, CA
“Bare bones, not the most comfortable room”
Reviewed 8 July 2009

We booked two rooms.... one for hubby and me, one for our daughter. Rooms were quite small and the only furnishings were a bed and a small desk w/ chair. TV occupied one half of the desk top, leaving little room for anything else. In both rooms the TV sound was distorted, and the AC was loud (even on low) and had a sickeningly sweet smell.
The mattress was uncomfortable, and the bedding was just adequate.
Daughter's bed had hair between the sheets, between the top sheet and blanket, and inside the pillowcase. (Her college job was as a housekeeper, so yes, she does check for those things!)
I booked the rooms through Hotwire, which billed the hotel as a "two star"; equivalent two star hotels were listed as Days Inn and Comfort Inn. Really, Hotwire????
In its defense, the hotel is conveniently located on a major street. Not a bad neighborhood. The desk staff is very friendly and accommodating. Other than the hairs, the rooms were clean. If you stay more than one night, housekeeping cleans every other day. The parking lot is rather small, but we didn't have a problem finding a parking spot.
It's an OK place for a 1-night stay if you're exhausted and know you're going to fall asleep the minute your head hits the pillow. We stayed several days. In hindsight, I should have spent the extra $10 per night for a better hotel -- I definitely would have gotten a better night's sleep.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank MME077
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Arabic first
San Jose, California
Reviewed 23 July 2007

If you want basic accommodations, this is the place to stay. My room was clean and the staff was fairly friendly. The property is very small so there's not much available parking. I requested a second floor room, but was given a room on the first floor by the pool. I had to park on the street the second night of my stay. There is a security guard onsite at night and there wasn't any noise during my stay on the weekend.

• Liked — cleanliness of the room
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank Travelgurl382
San Francisco, ca
Reviewed 19 April 2006

When I started here they were very nice. I started off at the Ramada next door, then switched here because it was cheaper. The only difference between the two is that the Ramada serves a typical continental breakfast, whereas Motel 6 just has coffee in the lobby. Everyday I stayed here service downgraded. After awhile, they downgraded me from a queen bed to a full-size, just because they knew I was a lone and wanted to give the queen-sized bed that I had reserved online to someone else. Having stayed in four different rooms on the property, I can say that the first two, which were no-smoking queen beds were spacious and had decent, although unreliable, wireless internet. One of them had a bad tv that you could barely hear because only bass was coming out of the speaker. The last room was small and had no wireless internet (luckily I was prepared and had my own dsl line). The tv in the third room would only transmit the Spanish channels. The fourth room was just sad and there was serious competition between all the trucks jockeying for a space near this area of the hotel. My last day at the hotel I had to hear the manager ousting a customer for stinking up the room with his dog. That's when I realized it was time to leave. The place was decent, so I would grudgingly go back if only for the price, but I'm afraid that I'd overstayed my welcome.

• Stayed April 2006, travelled on business