“Great Experience”

Toluca Hills by Avalon
Granger, Indiana
“Great Experience”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

After looking for months for a place to stay during pilot season we were referred to Oakwood by a Realtor. We needed room for my husband, myself, 3 kids and my parents so we leased the two bedroom fully furnished apartment. Even with that size group I was pleasantly surprised by our accommodations.

The rooms are large and there is a lot of storage, which is important when you have to move your life somewhere else for a few months. The mattresses weren't the best but we bought a mattress pad and it made it doable. The master had an attached full bathroom plus there was another full bedroom off the hallway. We had a problem with the shower temperatures fluctuating but after complaining the complex maintenance team took care of it within four days.

The kitchen surprisingly had more in it than I had anticipated. There was a full size refrigerator, electric oven, microwave, and dishwasher along with cooking and eating utensils. I had to buy some new knives because the ones in the block were beyond sharpening. I also bought an $8 beater from Target and a muffin pan. Overall, it'll only took a few things to get the kitchen usable.

We had a dining room set which sat 6 people comfortably. The living room had a couch, loveseat, coffee table, end table, and a desk. The couch was more comfortable than it looked. The TV reception is pretty terrible but I think that's more the provider's fault. The carpet throughout the apartment had obviously been cleaned before we moved in but as with all overused carpet the stains quickly reappeared. I'd probably recommend a different flooring material so it could stay clean. My favorite feature was the gas fireplace. We ended up using it a lot in the nights and the mornings to take the initial chill out of the apartment.

The grounds were well kept and we found the staff to be friendly and helpful. They adhere strictly to policies (for example, my father was not allowed to pick up a package for me) but then they have those policies in place for a reason so I'm not going to complain too much. The laundry facilities were nice and the machinery looked new. We only had to wait once to gain access to the machines. Each load (wash/dry) was approximately $3.50. We took advantage regularly of the business center and free printing on a high quality laser printer and also the convenience mart which has a lot packed into a small space!

This was a great place for kids. Rosie and team did a good job of providing opportunities related to the acting profession. Plus, there were other social events which allowed the kids to get together frequently. The gates around the premises, while in no means providing absolute security, do make you feel safer.

The location of these apartments couldn't be better. We were 15 minutes from Hollywood Blvd and less than 5 from the Warner Brothers Studios. Since it's so close to the 101 we were easily able to get where we needed to go. (Well, as easy as it gets in LA!!)

Yes, the price is steep but when you weigh it against other comparable places it is actually a good value. I will be staying here every time we return.

Room Tip: We had a third floor apartment which was great because the natural lighting was better due to the am...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank TravelingFool1974
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 8 March 2012

this was a very convenient place to stay for Hollywood, and general LA access. Unfortunately their employees (especially front desk) are either too stupid to deal with their customers or are blindly applying some "corporate policy" to their guests with the end result being that the lodging customer receives rude and impersonal treatment. they neglected to explain the billing for my room, charged my credit card without authorization, etc.
the front desk people didn't explain the horrible parking scene, so that i walked a very long distance from where i parked my car to the apartment. they didn't tell me that you could get reserved parking, for an extra charge of course!
the apartment had several problems including insect infestation, damaged drywall, broken door molding and non functional security chain, unlockable first floor windows that would enable any prowler to enter the apartment.
this is on a beautiful hillside location and I agree with a recent review posted earlier that "this place should be torn down" and the property confiscated from this miserable corporate entity!

Room Tip: look at the room carefully before you rent if you wish to stay here
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank DoctorDubious

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Florida
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Unfortunately I did not read the reviews prior to staying at this property. And I totally discount the reviews that were obviously written by management. This place should be torn down and they should start over. Just too many problems with the property to list them all here... but it's one redeeming quality is the location. But unfortunately that can't begin to make up for the multitude of problems. The worst in my opinion is the plumbing. You have 2 choices for a shower - ice cold or scalding hot. You may experience warm for about 5 seconds, but watch out... without warning you will get a serious scald or feel like a bucket of ice was dumped on you. I wish I was exaggarating but I'm not. And I was in 2 separate units, so you can't tell me it was a fluke. It was the same in both.

And if you don't read the fine print, you'll be stuck in building with minimal facilities - not to mention no dishwasher or washer/dryers in the studio. Several buildings have NO mail facilities, NO trash chutes, NO elevator (God forbid if you're on the 3rd floor of these buildings - pack extremely light is all I can say), and NO laundry room.

I've traveled all my life and rarely feel inconvenienced enough to write a review warning others. But I truly hope someone sits up and takes notice and finally fixes these issues. Or my original recommendaiton - demolition.

Room Tip: If you're company insists you stay here, stay away from buildings B, D, F, K, M, S, X. These ha...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
7 Thank Koalatlady
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Great location, excellent price. If you're going to be in the Hollywood area for more than a couple days, I highly recommend this property. The pool is excellent, as is the hot tub. The staff are amazingly friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Try to get a room near open parking or you have to walk a while.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Paul T
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 14 September 2011

I sort of thought bed bugs were mostly hype before I stayed here. I brought my family to LA for my best friend's wedding. I missed his bachelor's party because I was dealing with the bed bug debacle (I couldn't leave my wife and child in this room while I went carousing around with the boys). After notifying management about the infestation, they sent 3 people over to confirm the infestation.

They offered to move us to another unit, but it took too long to prepare the other unit. By 11pm local time (1am Central time) my 2 year old was catatonic. We checked out of Oakwood altogether and moved to a hotel.

The staff eventually refunded our money without a big hassle, which I appreciate. The staff were professional by and large. I have stayed at other Oakwood properties in northern VA and had no problems. This property is probably an aberration.

Many of the studios (i.e. Warner Bros.) put people up for extended stays in these units. There are enough people in an out of these apartments that an infestation was probably inevitable. Nevertheless the condition of the mattress (rips and tears) lead me to think that they don't maintain and/or replace their mattresses frequently enough.

All in all, I would not stay at this property again, as the bed bug infestation has caused my family quite a bit of stress (we've had to go to great lengths to de-bug our clothing and our luggage). In fairness, on the other hand the staff do seem to be professional and well-trained overall.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Universal City Area
Nite Inn at Universal City
Nite Inn at Universal City
#132 of 351 in Los Angeles

Been to Toluca Hills by Avalon? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK