“Laughingly painful experience”

Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre LA
Ranked #9 of 343 Nightlife in Los Angeles
More attraction details
Owner description: The Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre is home for all things comedy. Founded by Matt Besser, Amy Poehler, Ian Roberts, and Matt Walsh, our theatre features cheap, top-quality comedy 7 nights a week!
Reviewed 2 July 2018

Went with my gf to see Brain Time. I've never been to a comedy show before and I didn't know what to expect, but it exceeded my lowest expectations. I had to keep myself from laughing at how awful it was. Very few of the jokes were funny, and when the performers found a joke that was amusing, they beat it to death, brought it back to life, then beat it to death again. It would have been fine if it was a free show to give the performers a chance to practice, but we actually paid money for this? Not worth it.

All reviews
in 13 reviews
"spins"
"names"

Reviewed 21 February 2018 via mobile

I went for "Good Looks" show. I had a great time. All comedians are pretty funny. Last act was by Sarah Silverman. If you're on budget holiday and looking to explore LA comedy scene. Do not miss it.

Reviewed 20 February 2018 via mobile

We decided to drop in to an early performance at the Upright Citizens Brigade. This one was where the performers were auditioning for a chance to go to the Montreal comedy festival. The theatre is pretty small and its first come first seated so show up a little early to get in line. There are also several drink places on the same street if you want to have a little something before or after the show.

Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

My family and I have seen a number of shows at the UCB and they are always fun! It’s also a great chance to see comedic actors from some of your favorite shows and no movies! In recent visits, we have seen an improvised musical and Baffoons with Bobby Moynihan, which was one of the funniest show I have ever seen! UCB is a fantastic time!

See more reviews
Reviewed 29 November 2017 via mobile

I like the idea that the place is free (with a donation basket at the end to a different charity each night). That’s very cool. Depending on the night, you can see some great and fun performances. How funny it is really depends on who is performing though. I would never say it’s a waste of time since it’s free and supports various local charities but how much fun you have really is dependent on who is there on the given night. A nice place overall.