“Good!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #70 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
Pebble Beach, CA
“Good!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

I looking at the rest of the reviews, a common topic was 'party hotel' wherein the lobby turned into a party; the concierge turned into bouncers. Another common theme- an apparent aloofness among the staff, especially with valet. Yet another common theme was plenty of noise- especially from unruly guests.

I didn't find any of these common themes to be accurate- that isn't to say the people who posted those comments are wrong, it is to say that it is apparent that the W Hollywood is trying to change their market. I hope so- the party scene doesn't fit the Starwood culture (but if it drives occupancy and rate, well.....<shrug>).

I was at the W for a lodging industry conference- the hotel performed very well- in all respects. One thing I do recommend- GM or Rooms Director- start replying to these Tripadvisor comments. It looks as if in the past some good reviews were commented upon, but we know incosistency is not the way to go. If group business is what you're after, planners (especially independents) use Tripadvisor a lot to look for commonalities in these hotel reviews.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

We were in town to see a show at the Pantages Theatre. This is the PERFECT hotel since they are literally right across the street from the theatre. We were booked at a cheaper hotel elsewhere, but by the time we assessed the cost of parking plus the hassle factor of LA traffic, the slightly more expensive nightly rate ended up being worth it.

The room itself was nice. The view though, not so much. Just based on where we were, our view was of the wall of the rooms across the way. When we looked to the right, we were overlooking the main entrance and to the left was the back of the hotel. So, we were in a room that had a view of the "alley" between the buildings for the property. Not a big deal - jsut be aware you might not have much to look at.

The bed itself was very comfortable. It was different though; very low to the ground. It looked somewhat like a futon but definately made up for it in comfort. The bathroom was nicely appointed and had all the amenities you would expect.

The room was primarily a "heavy white plastic". While it looks very classy and eclectic now, it will start showing the wear and tear soon unless the hotel keeps up on it's maintenance.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Great people watching. Perfect location. Loved the pool.

1 Thank gwilsonDallas
Melbourne,Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

The W Hollywood was my first "W" experience.

Our first room had a nasty odour, when mentioned to Reception, we were moved to another room immediately. The rooms are well designed and very comfortable.

I loved the lobby bar and outdoor terace. The pool deck was also good, but very crowded.

The complimentary Acura transfer was a great benefit and our driver was very obliging and knowledgeable.

The only disappointment was the 'whatever' desk was not very helpful when approached. The response to every question about transport was, "hire a limo"! I found out after I returned home that one of my options would have been to catch a train from the subway directly under the Hotel. I should have researched it before I left, but ..... I asked a local instead!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

I just got back from W Hollywood and I was quite disappointed in the quality of services I received from a W hotel. I have stayed in several W properties before: more established ones like San Diego, Seattle, and LA-Westwood and newer ones like Scottsdale, Hong Kong, and Taipei. The property itself is nice, however, the quality of service is really sub-par. My friend dropped my fiancee and I off at the front door, the bell man didn't even bother to open the door nor acknowledge our presence until I told him that we are checking in (maybe it's my friend's "fault" for driving a non-flashy, inexpensive car...) so I was immediately alarmed, I have always been greeted by enthusiastic W staffers wherever I have stayed. At check-in we were able to get a room and I failed to realize that the lady that helped us got the wrong reservation as I had paid more for my reservation, unknowingly, we went to the assigned room and were relaxing in bed until our door all of a sudden opened. There was a couple that had keys to our room! It was a shock for all of us! I don't even want to imagine how much worse it could have been?

It was not until 20 minutes later I got a call from the Welcome Desk to apologize about the confusion! This kind of mistake should not even happen if I had handed the staff my drivers license and the credit card I I made the reservation with. The staff apologized and I let it go and let him know that it was ok.

My fiancee and I went to the LA Opera with the car service arranged by the concierge who really was friendly and helpful so that was a plus. The next morning, I went downstairs and went outside trying to get some Starbucks and pastries for breakfast. I generally would greet and acknowledge people as I see them. Again, the bell men and valet were standing less than two feet from me and when I said "Good morning, Gentlemen!", they just stared and me and kept on talking to each other. WOW....... I thought in my head... this is really something else. What is wrong with these people these days? Is it because it's Hollywood? The property itself is not inexpensive and I am a world-traveler, these bell men and/or valet were the worst I have ever, EVER seen in a 4-star hotel. Hip and modern is W. That's why I love to stay at W hotels. However, this is a hospitality industry... you are trying to make guests feel welcomed and comfortable. It was rather disappointing!

So there is a lot room for improvement at W Hollywood, I hope they can make it better. Nothing extremely positive really stood out this time but the extreme negative was there. I would probably stay away from that property until that bad taste is gone.