“the best place i stayed in the many times i've been in LA”

Venice Beach Hostel and Hotel
Reviewed 14 September 2011

Where does one begin? seriously i cannot find fault with this hostel, the only thing i hate is smoking is permitted everywhere, but while i was on vacation i felt so was evryone else so i endured it, i didn't want to spoil their fun, the waffle and pancake mix is awesome and i gorged every morning and i was delighted with the free dinner too, the staff were top notch so friendly, cian, selly, Yoshi Tom. Jason, Carl, cute girl with glasses who's cian's girlfriend (she knows who she is) and Justin i think that's his name, there was so many cool characters they made my holiday, i stayed there in November and i will be staying there again this year, the tv is brilliant, they have pool and i thought kitchen was very well equipped i loved my stay there, there is such a relaxed atmosphere, yep it's noisy but it just shows people are having a great time, if you seek a good nights sleep, maybe go to a hotel, but the beds were clean and bathrooms and all common areas spick and span, Carl was mega for giving directions, it's a wonderful hostel...and as a manager of a hostel myself i should know. oh yes and Mao's is the best and there is a Subway too. the internet was free so i was able to keep and eye on hostel back home ha ha

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 26 June 2011

The worst I have stayed in!!!!! Our toilet broke twice then I was told to fix it myself which is what I had to do on a daily basis. Our room 312 was extremely dirty although they make you leave the room between 11am-1pm so the cleaner cleans, what a joke. The carpet was sticky. The room was very smelly, the bed terrible, the kitchenette dirty dirty dirty. The room is so old and reminded me of something our of a horror movie. At night the staff would sit outside our window, smoke, drink and talk loudly until 3am - no respect for anyone. The staff were hopeless, the hostel is gross. Save your money and don't stay here, there must be something better. Its old, dirty, gross and I can't believe they charge so much. What a joke. The only good thing is that is close to where it all happens.

Room Tip: Don't stay here - its a waste of money
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sarah197923
Reviewed 2 February 2011

Nothing like taking the early train, carrying your luggage up the Venice Beach hostel stairs, and being given the choice between paying 3 1/2 times what your reservation quotes or being charged for a night or more as a "no show" cancellation fee to go back out on the street.

Online, Venice Beach looked like too much savings to pass up, so I forced myself to forgo a reservation at a much higher-rated, favorite hostel. The email confirmation of my Venice Beach reservation quoted $59.22 for 4 nights, and the breakdown of those charges per night. Like my confirmations for other hostels, it said taxes would also be added, and a refundable deposit.

The Venice Beach Hostel receptionist printed out an invoice for the same $59.22. She hand wrote in ~$10 for taxes. So far, so good.

Then she hand wrote in a $40 charge for food and internet. Never at any point online or in person, had I been asked whether I wanted to purchase food and internet for an additional charge. This addition brought Venice Beach to the same price as the much higher-rated hostel (which offered free internet & breakfast) I'd forgone out of thrift.

Finally she hand wrote in a deposit of $100. One hundred dollars? My forgone favorite hostel charges NO deposit.

What's the highest deposit you've ever been charged for a 4 night hostel stay? $20 for the key? $25? How about $100? Do we have the winner here or what? Good thing Venice Beach had already won my trust by sticking so closely to its advertising and reservation quote.

I said the $210 she was asking for looked unbelievably different from the less than $60 I'd been quoted. She asked if I'd like to speak to the manager, who told me the extra charges had all been in the fine print online.

Here are direct quotes pasted from the web page that sold me Venice Beach hostel:

"Free Internet & computer in rooms & ** free wireless"
" free food - breakfast fixings & dinner basics for you to cook."

I guess this is where keeping up your hand writing skills in the computer age can be worth it. Look how creative you can be with your invoices!

Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank traveller1052
Reviewed 11 August 2010

I can't even say that despite all the short comings this hostel had, "you get what you pay for", because I didn't pay 20 bucks a night, but should have. The common area and hallways will be sure to annoy you if you don't smoke, because everybody else does.
Compared to other hostels of the same price, the kitchen facilities are poor, with few utensils or crockery and the lure of a free breakfast involves pancake/waffle mix only.
On the plus side the staff seemed friendly and helpful enough and the large common area did lend itself to be a good area to meet everyone.
The hostel is in a large enough building right in the center if Venice Beach. With a new owner that runs a professional business and not a rip off outlet, the place could be brought up to scratch.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank PlanetaryPalooza
Reviewed 20 September 2009

I booked a private room for myself for 3 nights, ahving read the reviews on other websites, it sounded nice. I have stayed in hostels all around the world, so i know not to expect hotel standards, but htis was, by far THE WORST hostel room i have ever stayed in. I cannot comment about the rest of the place (common areas, kitchen etc) as i didnt stay long enought to see.
As soon as I came into the room, i wanted to leave, however it was midnight on a saturday night, so I had no choice but to stay. I left as soon as I could the next day and stayedd in a hotel (there was no other private room at hostels available in LA) The room stunk like urine, the tv didnt work (the lady at the counter said none of them do and havent for ages), there is no aircon (lady said open the window). There is a kitchen, but is nothing in there but a sink, so basically a waste of space. The only positve thing was the computer an internet in every room, it was fast and free, so cant complain about that.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
Hollywood
Banana Bungalow Hollywood
Banana Bungalow Hollywood
#12 of 101 in Los Angeles

Been to Venice Beach Hostel and Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK